“surprised the heck out of us”
Review of Talara - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Fleet Street & President Street
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Family of 4 ate hear while staying at the homewood suites. Happy hour specials are great, even with kids. They liked the black bean quesadilla and ribs. Wife had the crab cake rellano which was amazing. Bacon wrapped scallop was great but small, chicken tostadas was good but not what i was expecting from a tostada, and Crab Tian was good. Everything we got was good,and a lot of it was on the happy hour special. (plus cheaper wine and beer!)

1  Thank truprunbike

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've eaten at Talara 5-6 times over the years and we're always delighted by the Fire & Ice ceviche. I like it with grill octopus. In our group of four we got to try some other things this time. It was all good--the avocado and crabmeat tian, ahi tuna tartare, Jimmy Roll. Entrees were also delicious and very large portions--I had the crabcake chile relleno, which was an inventive twist on a traditional relleno. Carne asada and braised short ribs were the other dishes on the table. Don't miss the spicy blood orange margarita with house infused jalapeno tequila. It has just the right kick.

2  Thank WAOM
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I ate dinner here one night while staying at the Homewood Suites. The restaurant is actually in the same building. Started with the hummus and chips. The hummus was outstanding, but the chips were extremely greasy, to the point that I could only eat a few. They make them onsite, but they would be better off just getting a bag of tortilla or pita chips from the grocery store.

The kale salad was extremely tasty and nicely presented, but quite small, more like a side salad than an entree salad which is fine, but for the price charged, I expected a good size salad. I was a good thing I had had a couple of appetizers at a reception prior to coming for dinner.

I would eat here again to try a few different things. The food tasted fine (except for the chips).

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The food is amazing! My husband does not usually care where we eat, but this is the one place he requests we return to over and over again! I've been here several times due to the many travelzoo vouchers I've bought. The prices may be a little steep without the vouchers but the service and food may make it worth it.
My favorites are the crab and avocado tian appetizer and the glazed sesame ribs appetizer and the crispy duck entree. For dessert, the apple turnover is good but extremely small in portion making it not worth it...barely enough for one person! The flaky pastry with the different ice cream flavors is wonderful! The ice cream flavors change all the time so each time you get this dessert it May have something new to try! The drinks are amazing too! Look for a voucher before you go! Cool atmosphere and location!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went here with some friends, and had a great time. We tried a little bit of everything amongst our group (ceviche, cooked fish, steak, etc.), and were not disappointed by the quality or execution of any of the food. Our only complaint was that for the prices they are charging, which are relatively high, you don't get very much food for your money. Most of our group were still hungry at the end of the meal, despite spending approximately $25-30/person on just food. The drinks that we tried were all quite tasty and very well crafted; we highly recommend the cucumber gin mojito. We would definitely come back, but would hope for larger portion sizes.