“Wonderful B and B”

Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was in Baltimore for a conference, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast. I was out and about all day and it was great to come "home" to a quiet place rather than a busy hotel! Breakfasts were lovely as well! Felt quite pampered and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nluttrell

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here the night of our wedding. It exceed our expectations of what a bed and breakfast should be. Our room was huge and the atmosphere of the place was great. I would highly recommend to anyone going to Baltimore that wants a nice and quiet place to stay. Also has a great location to many of the landmarks around town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights between stays in Washington DC and Philadelphia and we found the B&B to be comfortable and welcoming. We noticed one reviewer complaining about the lack of attention from the innkeeper during the day but this was no problem for us at all. Norman was there to welcome us when we arrived and told us all about the history of the house. Each morning breakfast was tasty (though not huge by American standards) and as we are not picky eaters the fact that there was no choice given was not a major issue for us. We found our fellow guests to be friendly and chatty. Our room (Audrey Genevieve) was lovely and the bed had the softest most comfortable bed linen we have ever known and we had no noise problems at all during our stay. We had a meal booked for my birthday at Woodberry Kitchen (fantastic food!) and Norman arranged a great cab for us ..... we felt like film starts when Kevin turned up in his big black SUV. He was great, very chatty and informative about the area and he turned up spot on time each time we booked him. Although his vehicle was very plush and much better than an ordinary taxi his rates were very reasonable and we would urge you to use him rather than a normal cab. Baltimore is a city of two halves .... the inner harbour is beautiful with lots of lovely place to eat but wander just a few streets further back and Baltimore looks very run down and in need of a facelift It is obviously a work in progress and if it is all brought to the standard of the inner harbour it will be lovely. We also ate at the Corner Wine Bistro which unfortunately was a disappointment for us. The owner was very welcoming and friendly but unfortunately the food was mediocre and the tomato risotto was very bland and tasteless.

Room Tip: Our room, Audrey Genevieve, was very comfortable with a nice view over the front garden.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeandWendy01
rachaelsdowrybmore, Owner at Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We're so glad you enjoyed your visit to Baltimore and your stay at Rachael's Dowry. Thank you for the comment about the quiet time during the day. We are always here although likely behind the scenes and available if needed.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was here in the spring. Loved Baltimore and also the neighbourhood the B&B is in (Ridgely's Delight). Make sure you go to the Corner Wine Bistro. Great food and friendly staff- you will feel at home.
I have to say I did not feel at home at the B&B. It felt like staying with a stuffy great aunt with none of the perks.
It was eerily quiet and abandoned during the day, but then so loud at night with the front door below, and footsteps overhead from guests that I never slept soundly. I came home exhausted from interrupted sleep every night. This was really frustrating and the sound machine in the room did nothing to cover the noise coming from downstairs and through the ceiling.
I found the breakfast mediocre and the atmosphere very odd- guests were not generally conversational so it was like a very small and awkward restaurant.
There are also some missing conveniences- such as no phone in the room or anywhere to be found. This was difficult because I am not from Maryland and this led to cell phone expenses. The inn keeper is hard to find unless it is breakfast or your first day check in time, so you will need to call them on your personal phone for simple things, or even email them to communicate. I found this lack of presence from the innkeeper strange for a B&B as well as no access to a phone onsite, and I gave up on asking for anything (even how to get the closed captioning off the tv) because it was too hard to find anyone and too expensive to call on my cell. I found the service at the B&B to be perfunctory vs truly welcoming and accessible.
Things listed on the website that my room didn't actually have included an iPhone compatible charger and an iron. The air conditioning was freezing cold and you can't control the temperature of the room. The direct TV that is advertised only had about 10 channels of real tv with another 10 of infomercials and no subscription to specialty channels.
The crowd here is generally middle aged or elderly and some couples seemed to be enjoying their 1 or 2 night stay. I was there longer and I wouldn't recommend it- after a few days the breakfast is repetitive, you have no choices, and it gets tiring to go out for every meal- I eventually missed the room service I could have gotten at a hotel.
One great thing was the proximity to Camden Yards- I went to an Orioles game and it was a highlight of my trip. I can't say enough about how friendly Baltimoreans were to me. Other great things to do include taking a water taxi just for the views (and it can be convenient too), using the free bus (charm city circulator) to make sight seeing easier, and the easy trip to sight see in Washington DC.
Moral of the story- Baltimore is awesome, you should visit. If you are in town more than a night or two, under 40, a light sleeper and like conveniences a hotel might offer, don't stay here. The neighborhood is great but this B&B did not live up to what the website stated and what other reviewers said.
Final note: if you have scent sensitivities, avoid this place. There is a lot of powerful air freshener going on and I found it quite overwhelming. All of my belongings smelled like the place after I got home. There is no point asking them to unplug the air fresheners because the place is saturated with scent.

Room Tip: The top floor might be quieter. The second floor had noise from above and below.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BeachSeeker17

As a family owned and run business, we live at the B&B and are available to attend to guests. We take pride in providing a quiet and relaxing environment.
Four of the six rooms have individual controls for both heat and cooling. The remaining two have individual controls for additional heat.
Rachael's is sensitive to excessive use of air fresheners. We have had one at the entrance, away from the guest rooms. That has since been removed.
Breakfasts are made fresh each day following a menu of fresh fruit, yogurt and home made granola followed by a breakfast entree. The fruit selection and entree vary each day often using locally grown produce and products. We attempt to accommodate dietary restrictions when requested including gluten free, vegetarian and vegan diets.
Each room has an ironing board and iron. If a guest is unable to find the item, we locate it for them.
Our televisions are supplied with DirecTV offering over 160 channels. The local channels are at the beginning of the channel sequence followed by infomercials followed by sports, movies, etc.
Our rooms have an iPhone station. We now offer an alternative charger upon request.
Our attempt is to be the best of what we offer. Guest comments are taken seriously and help us to meet our guest's needs.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We drove up from Alexandria to go to the Nats vs Os game. The walk to the ballpark took 5 minutes at most. This B&B is exquisite. Norman, the owner, is a wonderful guy who welcomes you with open arms and a history lesson. Our room was delightful, the bed firm and luxurious. Every detail of this 1790 residence has been meticulously cared for. The china, the curtains, the furniture....everything is just so. In the morning, we were blown away by the breakfast. A lovely fruit cup with nuts, granola and creme fresh, followed by the best poached eggs I've ever had (and it had been a while) served on english muffins with two strips of bacon. Great coffee, too. Truly a treasured residence owned, operated and cared for by someone who takes enormous pride in its history, its architectural beauty and the impeccable service he provides to his guests.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenStreet
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After passing through Baltimore from New England to points south for 5 decades and planning to explore the city 'someday', I finally did it. Long overdue. Charm City is an apt name due to the distinctly diverse neighborhoods, each with its own charm, the friendly residents and hospitality types, and the largely-left-intact vintage architecture and delightful open spaces. Walkable to a great degree, this gem of a city provides convenient public transit busses and even water taxis on logical routes ... all free for the rider. This city, indeed, cares about its citizens and guests. While full of lodging of all types, I can highly recommend one as THE place to stay in Baltimore. Rachael's Dowry Bed & Breakfast is just as so many of the reviews here claim: homey, historical, well-located, well-appointed, and sincere in hospitality. This, of course, is the heartfelt desire of Tish and Norman, the sister-brother team who coordinates their guests' pleasures and experiences. They are sincere in their hospitality mindset, and are also proud to be historical preservationists and 'green' in example. It IS like staying with friends at their large home, the common areas invite exploring and use, and the breakfast is the perfect time to meet the family, other guests, and review or preview one's day in this city. Steps away are Babe Ruth's Birth Home and Museum, Edgar Allen Poe's home and resting place, fun bistros and restaurants, convenience stores, wine shops, Orioles Park at Camden Yards, downtown, the activities, features and museums at the Inner Harbor waterfront, the views from historical Federal Hill, and, of course, a short bus ride to the cobblestoned Fell's Point shops and residential 'hood, Little Italy for wining and dining, and the iconic Ft. McHenry is a do-not-miss when in Baltimore. Indeed, my trip was planned around seeing the July 4th fireworks over the same water and views as Francis Scott Key when he was inspired to write that poem in 1812... it is known now as our national anthem! But, now that I have a home away from home in Baltimore, I plan to visit Tish and Norman again and feel pampered at Rachael's Dowry bed and Breakfast. I'm already looking ahead to peak foliage week this fall ! Ah, Baltimore's vast Druid Park's trees will be awesome ! After a nice hike around, a nap at Rachael's Dowry sounds good before strolling out for dinner.

Room Tip: Being really 'across the street' from Orioles Park, part of the experience is hearing the an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Calvin A
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I am a seasoned traveler and part owner of my own beachfront resort hotel in St Pete Beach, FL. For reasons unknown, I had never stayed in a true "Bed & Breakfast" Inn until this last weekend in Baltimore for a long baseball weekend.

All I can say is this place is excellent! We felt like we were staying in a good friends house, with all the warmth and hospitality we could possibly hope for.

The room we occupied was clean, very comfortable, and had the most unbelievable comfortable 4 poster bed with sheets to die for. The bathroom was big, well appointed, and spotless.

The breakfast served each morning by the owner / operator was delicious and creative, with some very nice touches....and at our convenience!

The public areas are charming and comfortable as well, with brandy and cookies there for the taking 24 hours / day in the library room.

All this and only a 5 minute walk to the ballpark (it's very close to the Ravens football stadium as well.) and easy walking to many fine restaurants and bars, not to mention the fabulous Inner Harbor area.

I am a huge fan of this B & B and will gladly come back and recommend to friends.

Thanks Tish and Dale for providing us fantastic lodging and a wonderful weekend...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends