“One of the best”

Ranked #1 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“One of the best”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I recently spent a week at Rachael's Dowry B&B and it is, hands down, one of the best bed & breakfast experiences I've had. My room - the Letitia Mae - was wonderful, especially with a porch that overlooked a beautifully planted garden and patio area (perfect for relaxing each evening as I did).

Tish, a co-owner of the B&B, is truly born to this business - she was the epitome of gracious hospitality and thoughtfulness throughout my stay, really made my visit superb. The building and rooms are elegant and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and served in such an elegant dining room.

Do yourself a favor: if you go to Baltimore, stay at Rachael's Dowry B&B!

1 Thank Erin O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Tustin, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Rachael's Dowry was everything I expected and hoped for from the reviews and pictures. Loved the room, the food and the owners are the nicest people in Baltimore. It was actually even more convenient than I anticipated. It's an easy walk to the Inner Harbor and minutes away from Camden Yard. If you're coming from BWI, you can take the light rail to Camden or Convention Ctr (30 minutes and $1.60) and it is less than a five minute walk to the B&B. I needed a car, and rather than driving from BWI, I had Enterprise pick me up at Rachael's Dowry. But it is close enough to walk from the light rail stop or Racheals Dowry. I'll definitely be back and family going to Baltimore is now planning to stay there. Can't recommend it more strongly.

Room Tip: They're all great but just check the pictures on their web site. The pictures are accurate.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband & I stayed here for two nights while attending a weekend baseball game. This is our second visit to Rachael's Dowery. I believe it was a full house as the breakfast area was full of guests and engaging conversation. We slept soundly and were never troubled by ambient sounds of guests or house. We are originally from Baltimore but still find the proprietor very helpful in planning our day around town. It is by far the PERFECT location to take in all that Baltimore has to offer. The rooms are PERFECTLY appointed & quiet even during a busy game weekend. The morning breakfast is PERFECTLY prepared & served by a very gracious host. I have to mention that having read some of the other reviews here-one must discount guests who "rant" & obviously don't communicate a concern because it can not be reality. The only aroma we experienced in this B&B was the wonderful breakfast prepared for us in the morning! We will be back!!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was in Baltimore for a conference, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast. I was out and about all day and it was great to come "home" to a quiet place rather than a busy hotel! Breakfasts were lovely as well! Felt quite pampered and would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank nluttrell
Abingdon, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here the night of our wedding. It exceed our expectations of what a bed and breakfast should be. Our room was huge and the atmosphere of the place was great. I would highly recommend to anyone going to Baltimore that wants a nice and quiet place to stay. Also has a great location to many of the landmarks around town.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights between stays in Washington DC and Philadelphia and we found the B&B to be comfortable and welcoming. We noticed one reviewer complaining about the lack of attention from the innkeeper during the day but this was no problem for us at all. Norman was there to welcome us when we arrived and told us all about the history of the house. Each morning breakfast was tasty (though not huge by American standards) and as we are not picky eaters the fact that there was no choice given was not a major issue for us. We found our fellow guests to be friendly and chatty. Our room (Audrey Genevieve) was lovely and the bed had the softest most comfortable bed linen we have ever known and we had no noise problems at all during our stay. We had a meal booked for my birthday at Woodberry Kitchen (fantastic food!) and Norman arranged a great cab for us ..... we felt like film starts when Kevin turned up in his big black SUV. He was great, very chatty and informative about the area and he turned up spot on time each time we booked him. Although his vehicle was very plush and much better than an ordinary taxi his rates were very reasonable and we would urge you to use him rather than a normal cab. Baltimore is a city of two halves .... the inner harbour is beautiful with lots of lovely place to eat but wander just a few streets further back and Baltimore looks very run down and in need of a facelift It is obviously a work in progress and if it is all brought to the standard of the inner harbour it will be lovely. We also ate at the Corner Wine Bistro which unfortunately was a disappointment for us. The owner was very welcoming and friendly but unfortunately the food was mediocre and the tomato risotto was very bland and tasteless.

Room Tip: Our room, Audrey Genevieve, was very comfortable with a nice view over the front garden.
2 Thank MikeandWendy01
rachaelsdowrybmore, Owner at Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We're so glad you enjoyed your visit to Baltimore and your stay at Rachael's Dowry. Thank you for the comment about the quiet time during the day. We are always here although likely behind the scenes and available if needed.
Ontario
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was here in the spring. Loved Baltimore and also the neighbourhood the B&B is in (Ridgely's Delight). Make sure you go to the Corner Wine Bistro. Great food and friendly staff- you will feel at home.
I have to say I did not feel at home at the B&B. It felt like staying with a stuffy great aunt with none of the perks.
It was eerily quiet and abandoned during the day, but then so loud at night with the front door below, and footsteps overhead from guests that I never slept soundly. I came home exhausted from interrupted sleep every night. This was really frustrating and the sound machine in the room did nothing to cover the noise coming from downstairs and through the ceiling.
I found the breakfast mediocre and the atmosphere very odd- guests were not generally conversational so it was like a very small and awkward restaurant.
There are also some missing conveniences- such as no phone in the room or anywhere to be found. This was difficult because I am not from Maryland and this led to cell phone expenses. The inn keeper is hard to find unless it is breakfast or your first day check in time, so you will need to call them on your personal phone for simple things, or even email them to communicate. I found this lack of presence from the innkeeper strange for a B&B as well as no access to a phone onsite, and I gave up on asking for anything (even how to get the closed captioning off the tv) because it was too hard to find anyone and too expensive to call on my cell. I found the service at the B&B to be perfunctory vs truly welcoming and accessible.
Things listed on the website that my room didn't actually have included an iPhone compatible charger and an iron. The air conditioning was freezing cold and you can't control the temperature of the room. The direct TV that is advertised only had about 10 channels of real tv with another 10 of infomercials and no subscription to specialty channels.
The crowd here is generally middle aged or elderly and some couples seemed to be enjoying their 1 or 2 night stay. I was there longer and I wouldn't recommend it- after a few days the breakfast is repetitive, you have no choices, and it gets tiring to go out for every meal- I eventually missed the room service I could have gotten at a hotel.
One great thing was the proximity to Camden Yards- I went to an Orioles game and it was a highlight of my trip. I can't say enough about how friendly Baltimoreans were to me. Other great things to do include taking a water taxi just for the views (and it can be convenient too), using the free bus (charm city circulator) to make sight seeing easier, and the easy trip to sight see in Washington DC.
Moral of the story- Baltimore is awesome, you should visit. If you are in town more than a night or two, under 40, a light sleeper and like conveniences a hotel might offer, don't stay here. The neighborhood is great but this B&B did not live up to what the website stated and what other reviewers said.
Final note: if you have scent sensitivities, avoid this place. There is a lot of powerful air freshener going on and I found it quite overwhelming. All of my belongings smelled like the place after I got home. There is no point asking them to unplug the air fresheners because the place is saturated with scent.

Room Tip: The top floor might be quieter. The second floor had noise from above and below.
1 Thank BeachSeeker17
As a family owned and run business, we live at the B&B and are available to attend to guests. We take pride in providing a quiet and relaxing environment.
Four of the six rooms have individual controls for both heat and cooling. The remaining two have individual controls for additional heat.
Rachael's is sensitive to excessive use of air fresheners. We have had one at the entrance, away from the guest rooms. That has since been removed.
Breakfasts are made fresh each day following a menu of fresh fruit, yogurt and home made granola followed by a breakfast entree. The fruit selection and entree vary each day often using locally grown produce and products. We attempt to accommodate dietary restrictions when requested including gluten free, vegetarian and vegan diets.
Each room has an ironing board and iron. If a guest is unable to find the item, we locate it for them.
Our televisions are supplied with DirecTV offering over 160 channels. The local channels are at the beginning of the channel sequence followed by infomercials followed by sports, movies, etc.
Our rooms have an iPhone station. We now offer an alternative charger upon request.
Our attempt is to be the best of what we offer. Guest comments are taken seriously and help us to meet our guest's needs.