“Nice hotel, but somewhat noisy”
Review of Hotel Brexton

Hotel Brexton
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
“Nice hotel, but somewhat noisy”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed for two nights in the Brexton while going to a job interview in Baltimore. The hotel is nicely decorated and the rooms are well appointed. The room I was in was on the second floor. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. I liked the sink in the bathroom. The "continental" breakfast was really very poor. The coffee machine was broken and there was no one in the breakfast room attending to it. They were also low on food and the toaster was not big enough to hold the bagels or English muffins. I really think the breakfast below standard. The other problem was that my room was on the street side of the hotel and you could hear all the noise from the street. There is a bar next door and you can hear people standing outside of it talking. There was also noise from horns, traffic, etc... The other noise was from the room directly next to me. I could hear the whole conversation (barely muffled) from next door. I could also hear the fellow next door using the toilet during the night (ick) and coughing. The staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the backside of the hotel and on an upper floor. I am sure it is much less...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. On behalf of the entire team here, allow me to apologize for the ways we failed to meet your expectations. Please note that the coffee machine has been repaired since your departure. We are sorry your stay was noisy, but we hope that you will stay with us again soon in a different room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am so lucky to live just two blocks from this fine hotel. I recently referred two good friends here from Miami to celebrate Easter Week with me. They loved their room, the amenities and the staff. This building is a gem that brags that it was once the home of the Duchess of Windsor. It is smack in the middle of the Mount Vernon Cultural district. One can walk to theaters, concert halls, museums and many great restaurants. The free Baltimore Circulator picks up just a couple of blocks away to connect folks to the Inner Harbor etc.
I visited Hotel Brexton often during the week and I want commend Melody for all her help.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MLBguy
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for such kind words about our hotel, and thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends and family. We agree that Melody is one of a kind and truly a dedicated team member. We hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We, and another couple that we were traveling with, had reservations to stay at the Hotel Brexton in Baltimore. We had made these reservations over 2 months ago because of the Hotel's proximity to the Modell Center of the Performing Arts. Upon arrival, we were told the present occupants of the room were staying longer than expected, so basically, we had no rooms....The staff offered to put us up at their "Sister" hotel after lunch if the rooms we had booked were still not available. Upon returning later in the day, not only did the Hotel Brexton not have any room, but also, their "sister" hotel. They were able to find rooms for us about 20 minutes away.
What was particularly insulting was the staff was unapologetic and lied regarding our reservations. This is not a place we could, in all honesty, recommend. We have travelled for many years and have never experienced such unprofessional behavior.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CoCo272
Bob G, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 26 August 2015
Hello,

I am Bob, the GM for Hotel Brexton since the end of April 2015 and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for your experience with an overbooking that you described in your April 2014 posting to tripadvisor. Hotels, like airlines, often do have overbooking problems caused for a variety of reasons; and that is seldom if ever good news for those caught in the middle.

But more importantly, your frustration regarding the way you felt that you were treated is a bigger problem that deserves an apology. I'll be honest with you, I saw this posting shortly after taking the position as GM and opted to refrain from responding until I was able to observe our practices, policies and customer service standards first hand.

I will not make excuses for what occurred in April of 2014. But can assure you that as far as I am able to see, what you experienced at that time is not what is typical of Hotel Brexton now and hopefully was an isolated issue with an employee or circumstance at that time.

Again, that is not great news for your visit to Baltimore at that time. But I encourage you to give us another opportunity to show you what now I am able to state as GM is our standard. Please feel free to contact me personally at one of the numbers below to discuss a possible future stay with us.

And again, I am sorry that no one provided an appropriate apology to you before now.

Bob

HOTEL BREXTON
"the place to stay when you choose to be out and about in Baltimore"

Robert (Bob) Glock, General Manager
868 PARK AVE., BALTIMORE, MD 21201
443-677-0245 (c) / 443-478-2100 (p) / 443-478-2199 (f)

Mount Vernon is both a Designated National Landmark
Historic District and a Baltimore Cultural District
nyc
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had a huge room on the 5th floor with a circular bathroom. I was alone and happy for the grand space. TV, though flat screen, didn't offer a huge number of choices, but that was fine, I needed to sleep and I slept very well. The lobby is a little funky, the promised "continental breakfast" was not what we wanted - cold cereal, some english muffins, and a coffee machine - we went around the corner and had a super breakfast in a restaurant. I would recommend it though, as it wasn't a chain, it was clean, well located and a restored great old building.

Room Tip: ask for one with a round bathroom - my room was #504, much larger than 506. the hotel has round roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We value your opinion, and we truly enjoyed having you as our guest. Every room is special, but people certainly love room 504! We hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were in town for a Cirque du Solei event that evening and when we arrived we were upgraded to a king delux, at no charge, from the queen delux provided for in Travelzoo voucher when no queens were available. The hotel is located in a quieter area away from the Inner Harbor and about 1.6 miles from the Baltimore Acquarium to give you an idea of its location. There is free parking available only if you are lucky enough to secure one of the five parking spaces in front of the hotel, otherwise there is ample street parking with parking restrictions lifted between 6:00 PM to 9:00 AM.

Our room was clean and comfortable with the only complaint was not being able to control the thermostat that seem to fluctuate no matter what temperature we set that resulted in a restless sleep in an overheated room. It wasn’t until we checked out that we learned the heat/AC is centrally controlled from the desk with the guest only able to adjust the temperature. However, we could not keep the temperature under control in our room.

The room has high ceilings reflecting its historical heritage that has been updated as reflected with modern accoutrements in bed and bedding, but the desk and dresser had seen better days based on the amount of surface blisters found. We had free Wi-Fi, but did not use. Nice rain shower stall, but the size of the vanity area looks great but the space around the sink was not as functional as it could be for me. A Keurig coffeemaker in the room is a nice upgrade and if you wanted a more gourmet coffee drink, a gourmet coffee maker downstairs in the breakfast room can dispense other coffee drinks, such as cappuccino or espresso. A single ice machine for the building and microwave are located in the breakfast room. The complimentary breakfast is the usual standard continental fare and basic.

I would recommend this hotel if you love the charm and experience of a historical hotel with its original circular stairway. The elevator, while small, even reflects the triangular nature of the building.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words regarding our hotel. We do offer additional parking behind the hotel for a fee. Also, guests can turn on and off the AC system in their room, and also they can increase or lower the temperature from their rooms. All other functions are turned off for them to avoid issues. Thank you again for being our guest, and we hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

This place looks great! The rooms are large with high ceilings. Everything is in wonderful condition and very tastefully done. It is a treat to be at a small independent hotel. And very friendly desk personnel to top it all off! While the area does not have a lot of restaurants very close by, there are some fun affordable options.

Stayed March 2014
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We agree, our renovations are simply amazing. We truly are like no other hotel in Baltimore. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
Reviewed 4 March 2014

What a wonderful find. Amazing renovation of a very significant old structure. Clean nice sized room. Comfortable bed. Smashing staff. Eboni is super helpful and highly recommended. Lucky to get one of the parking spaces right outside the Hotel. Breakfast is adequate, especially if you know you are going to have a huge Brunch shortly. The Hotel is close enough to the free Circulator bus that you can leave your car at the hotel when you go downtown. Wonderful wonderful place.

Room Tip: If you can get it, ask for the King Edward Suite on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nick H
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for such a kind review. We take great pride in our dedication and outstanding customer service. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest and we look forward to your return to the Brexton!