“Looks Like a Great Historic Hotel”
Review of Hotel Brexton

Hotel Brexton
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Atlanta, Georgia
“Looks Like a Great Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Hotel Brexton is a beautiful building, and I like to stay in historic hotels. I made reservations weeks in advance, and was really looking forward to my stay.

I arrived a little early, and was kindly allowed to check in before the stated time. My room was great! It was on the 4th floor, and had an interesting shape (the bathroom was a circular room), and nice views of the city. I left for several hours, returning in the early evening to a very unpleasant surprise: my room smelled like someone was smoking a cigarette in there! I don't mean that it smelled like stale smoke, but that it was smoky with fresh smoke. The hotel has a non-smoking policy with a $250 fine, and I went directly down to the desk clerk. He was very nice, and re-assigned me to what he said was the only available room, which was on the first floor.

The room was lovely, but the windows looked out at the sidewalk, so I couldn't raise the roman shade and was unable to get any natural light, which I didn't like during the two days I stayed there. The shower had a strange arrangement: you had to get in it and close the door before turning it on, or the water would shoot into the bathroom! Luckily, the hot water kicked in fast, so there was only a second or two of cold (in the winter, I could see this as an inconvenience!).

I don't know what the problem is with the ventilation in the Hotel Brexton, but they sure need to look into it. I guess it's lucky I wasn't sleeping in the room when the smoke hit! I'm afraid I won't return---there are a lot of nice hotels in Baltimore.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We truly apologize for any issues you had during your stay with us. We can assure you that we have looked into any ventilation issues within our hotel and there are no concerns. The smoke smell might have come from another guest room. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel and we do our best to make sure no one smokes in the hotel. We hope that you will stay with us again soon to prove our award winning service to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We truly enjoyed our overnight at Hotel Brexton! We arrived early to secure one of the 6 free parking spaces out front, and were able to check into our room before the published check-in time. The elevator was super cool - custom designed! Our room was very clean, and also unique with the furniture, shape, and good use of space in the small bathroom.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ski_Lutricia
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review. There are so many amazing features to our hotel, and we are so glad you appreciated them. Please stay with us again soon as we truly enjoyed you as our guest.
London
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I liked this hotel for its design and value. The location is not fantastic but not far to the centre by car either. Rooms were well-decorated and the building very interesting with the exception of the single lift which created some bottlenecks and was quite slow.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for rating us 5 out of 5! Our hotel's design is truly unique and truly adds to our charm. We hope that you will stay with us again soon!
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel Brexton for one night while visiting family in the area. We very much enjoyed our stay, and highly recommend the hotel as a good value in a quiet, well located neighborhood.

We paid for the internet and parking package. The hotel has 4 spaces in front that are first-come-first-served, and 4 in an adjacent courtyard that are reserved for those choosing the parking package. We found it worth the extra $30 for the peace of mind of having a space waiting for us at night (plus included internet, which is otherwise $10).

The building is old, but quirky and charming. It has been nicely renovated and is clean and well kept. Our room on the 5th floor was oddly shaped in an interesting way, but spacious and spotless. The large bathroom was updated. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was a well placed flat screen tv hanging from the ceiling.

Service was friendly and caring. We skipped the provided continental breakfast and the staff at the front desk recommended a nearby restaurant where we could get a full breakfast. When we returned, she seemed genuinely interested in whether we had enjoyed our meal.

All in all, we had a fine stay, and would recommend the hotel for those looking for a good base for enjoying Baltimore. I would say, though, that if you need a hotel with a lot of amenities, or you prefer a place with large common areas, this is probably not the place for you.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SASNY
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in our charm and uniqueness. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we hope that you will return again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was only in the Brexton for one night, but I loved its quaint charm. The room they gave me was a really nice size (especially in comparison to most of the other hotels I have stayed in) and overlooked a quiet street. There was a bar at the end of this street, but I didn't hear it at all (and I'm a very light sleeper).

The girl at reception was a brilliant introduction to the hotel and is a definite asset. She was very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and was always eager to assist. I didn't get her name, but as far as I could tell she was the only woman working at the reception desk during my stay (6th July).

The area around the Brexton had a lot of charm, with some great bars (Tavern on the Hill: also does some lovely bar food) and some nice cafes (Milk and Honey). Definitely not an area for everybody, but I liked it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bree e
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! We agree that we offer a very charming experience for our guests. We are truly a unique hotel in Baltimore. We hope that you will stay with us again soon!
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here during Artscape. It's a funky property with a cool history dating from the 19th century but thoroughly updated, tended by a really nice staff. The place has its quirks as any boutique historic hotel might, but overall it was clean and secure and quiet, and I felt the innkeepers were willing to help in any way they could. For the price, including basic continental breakfast, I couldn't be happier. Hope to stay there again in the future. Just a really nice place. Thanks, Brexton!
PS it's kinda cool knowing Wallace Simpson lived there and though we stayed in probably her younger quarters, there were no ghosts :)

Room Tip: Pay the extra 20 bucks to get an upgraded room; it might likely be one of the top-floor suites.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased to know how happy you were with your stay. Please stay with us again soon as we truly loved having you as our guest.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is a lovingly restored one. Although I am predisposed to want to love it, it's too small to be comfortable. The elevator can barely fit two people. Anyone with difficulty walking, i.e. needing a a walker or a wheelchair is doomed. There are stairs everywhere. The air conditioner is a wall unit situated above the hall door and makes a lot of noise. I could hardly turn around in my bathroom.
The parking around here is not easy. Finding the hotel at night is also a challenge. The service at the desk was very nice and security cameras seem to keep good surveillance on the guest cars. It is really not for the traveller who likes modern amenities and roomy spaces.

Room Tip: Be prepared. Everything is small.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Margaret H
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We truly apologize that our hotel failed to meet your expectations. Our historic hotel has many unique features that do limit the space in some of our guest rooms. Each room is different so we invite you to come back and experience our hotel again. We do offer free parking in the front of the hotel and paid parking behind the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope that you will return soon to give us a second chance.