“Lots of value for the money”

Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Fredrikstad
“Lots of value for the money”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Clean spacious rooms, good beds, modern interior. Friendly employees, which helped us out when we were so tired and cranky arriving directly from the airport after 18 hours of travel. Parking nearby was very convenient and cost USD 15.
Neighbourhood is a bit challenging, but we didn't mind. I wouldn't stroll those streets too much in the evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Larscdahle
Lucy B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us, we greatly appreciate it. I am glad you found our hotel to be "lots of value for the money". Our guest's Trip Advisor reviews serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

lucy@sleepinnbaltimore.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Treasure Island, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went for Rays V O's baseball. Decided to walk to Camden Yards & were delighted to discover a trove of interesting architecture & memorials among the typical touristy waterfront shopping/dining mecca between the hotel & ball park. Also made our way around Little Italy, Fells Point & the Sunday morning market with ease.

The hotel public areas & rooms were clean & spacious with everything in perfect working order. The large bathroom, plentiful hot water & strong shower head were especially appreciated! Ordered a frig which was promptly delivered with a smile. In fact, the entire staff was helpful & friendly during our entire 4 day stay.

The room (313) was very quiet, allowing deep, restful sleep. Also, the window is deep enough that one could toss in the pillows, curl up & read a book. It's a fun little nook :-)

The only three potential areas of improvement I would suggest:

1. put bacon on the breakfast buffet every 3rd day as the sausage grows old.

2. relocate the patio/smoking area to the roof to take advantage of the view & disable approaching non~guests who are asking for a beer, cigarette, change for a $10, etc of those trying to enjoy the weather on the patio.

3. parking should NOT be an additional charge to "guests". Build it into the room rate & make your "guests" feel more welcome.

We booked last minute, maybe paid more than necessary?? If there'd been a jetted tub or parking included, I'd have given a better value rating.

Room Tip: 313 had a view (over the neighboring roof) of city lights, a lovely church spire and the Shot Tower...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amanda H
Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us, we greatly appreciate it. I am pleased to read that you very much so enjoyed the location of our hotel, and your walk to Camden Yards. I do the same walk to the Inner Harbor area weekly, and I agree there is definitely lots to see, and different areas to visit along the way! I hope you had a fun time at the baseball game, and will come back and stay with us again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

my husband and I frequent the Baltimore area for plays and events and often stay overnight. We were in town on an off day and I decided to give this hotel a try. It was such a pleasure and a surprise to find this well appointed, modern, clean hotel. Service was exceptional. Rooms were beautiful and star spangled clean! The evening happy hour was such a wonderful touch. Breakfast was more than your average hotel breakfast at other chain brands. My husband and I really loved it and will stay again, and again!

Room Tip: Don't miss the happy hour!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucy B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you very much for you kind words about your stay at the hotel. We are delighted that your expectations were met and exceeded. It is always nice to have the DC transient visit the city. We look forward to your future stays, and a little tip for you on the theaters, there are often RUSH TICKETS available for $20 to $30 for the shows. And the happy hours are Thursday evenings.

Hope to see you again soon!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 June 2014

9 reasons not to stay in Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor (Baltimore, MD)

1. My room rate was at least $110 per night – very expensive (You could easily find a hotel at half this price in Baltimore)
2. Invasion of Privacy
3. Racial Discrimination
4. Horrible General Manager Lucy [--]
5. Calling hotel guest to pay money in the middle of the night even though it is not guest’s fault and the hotel already had $100 cash deposit
6. Hidden Terms & Conditions that does not show up in the time of booking
7. $100 cash deposit without telling beforehand at the time of booking
8. No admittance in wrongdoing
9. No commitment to improve service (the manager)

I’ve been to hundreds of hotels before. This is my first time writing a review due to the horrible treatment from General Manager Lucy [--] herself.

I chose this hotel simply because it has a high customer rating in Tripadvisor and paid a huge premium to cheaper hotels in Baltimore. I made the mistake of not reading the negative comments of this hotel in Tripadvisor.

When I checked in with Kimberly on April 19th 2014, I showed her that I am eligible for the ‘stay one night free’ since the website choicehotels.com promised a free night stay if I found a website with a lower room rate. I found the lower rate on choicehotels.com itself at a later date, but deliberately did not cancel or modify my reservation because of the lure of the promotion. IT TURNS OUT THAT THERE ARE STRINGS AND CONDITIONS ATTACHED TO IT THAT MAKES IT near impossible not to get a free night. TRY NOT TO BOOK IN ADVANCE FOR THIS HOTEL SINCE YOU ARE LIKELY TO GET A HIGHER ROOM RATE. Once she saw the proof of the lower room rate, she did the right thing and immediately gave me a ‘stay one night free’ gift without asking any questions.

When I checked in my room, I checked to make sure that everything was in perfect working condition. The toilet worked properly, etc. When I got back at night and opened the room, I am surprised to find that the toilet was continuingly flushing. I dialed front desk and a hotel technician was sent to fix the problem. The mechanic came right in to the room, smiling apologetically, and seemed to know what the problem was and fixed the problem in a jiffy. When asked why did this happen, he replied that it was properly you are not in the room for too long. A moment later, Courtney from the front desk CALLED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND DEMANDED AN IMMEDIATE PAYMENT TO THE FREE NIGHT I RECEIVED FROM KIMBERLY. She also told me that she had tried to call me several times during the day but I am not present.

The moment Courtney spoke, I knew that the hotel deliberately sent someone to my room and destroy the toilet to find out when I get back. Like I said, I’ve been to hundreds of hotels before and no toilet was damaged, not even a single time. (The hotel guest will call the front desk the moment an important amenity like a toilet is destroyed, thus the hotel will know when the guest will come back) THAT WAS AN INVASION IN PRIVACY. GIVEN THAT THE HOTEL CHARGES EVERY ROOM $100 CASH DEPOSIT, HOW CAN I KNOW THAT THEY WILL NOT SEND SOMEONE TO MY ROOM AND DAMAGE STUFF SO THEY COULD KEEP THE $100 DEPOSIT? I asked Courtney to make an appointment with the General Manager Lucy [--] to talk about the issue before I made the payment. It wasn’t until the day after tomorrow at nine o’clock that she came and talk to me in the lobby.

The first thing that the manager did was to TELL THE STRINGS OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE FREE NIGHT STAY WHICH IS NOT WRITTEN IN MY BOOKING. I told the manager about the toilet. She said that it was absurd and declined that no staff entered my room to destroy the toilet. I told her that it was inappropriate to call the hotel guest late at the middle of the night when I am extremely fatigued in my trip during the day. Moreover, the hotel charges every room a $100 cash deposit (It was not written in the terms and conditions when I booked the room) and I am planning to stay for three nights. (Plenty of time to call me later on, right?) She said that ALL HER ACTIONS WERE APPROPRIATE AND SHE WAS THE ONE THAT ORDERED COURTNEY TO DO THE DIRTY WORK FOR HER TO PHONE US IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Only someone who has bad manners and has not been educated will think that these actions were appropriate. Again, she unabashedly demanded me to make an immediate payment. I brought the hotel’s paper on my room table that promises something like excellent service and take all complaints seriously and showed that to her while talking. She dismissed it as unimportant. Apparently, that piece of paper was just for show. I told her that I will be reporting her behavior on tripadvisor. She replied that she will claim my statements as false on tripadvisor. After that, the savage promptly turned her back on me and walked into her office and slammed her door with deliberate force so loud that everyone in the lobby stared at her unprofessional behavior. Actually, she was belligerent from the beginning, perhaps due to racial discrimination. Her actions could not be clearer that she would like our conversation to end as soon as possible from the beginning and did not enjoy taking comments from her customers.

Bill Gates once said, “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”

Truth be told, Lucy [--] was not at all fit to be a manager, let alone work in a hotel. Her behavior and attitude is inferior to even those of the housekeeping mates, who spent their time trying to answer all my travel questions regarding Baltimore.

The manager forced me to pay the money to the hotel for the free night I received even though Kimberly honored the deal. I unwillingly paid the sum to Lola, who was the front desk staff at that time, since the hotel has my credit card number on the time of booking through Internet and a $100 cash deposit. Lola witnessed the conversation in the lobby.

There is racial discrimination in this hotel as well. There is a woman staff that keeps guard over the morning breakfast. She greeted every white people, but not me, who is Asian. The only time she talk to me is asking whether you’ve finished your breakfast and sarcastic comments like don’t take too much of my sausages several times that it has been quite annoying. (She calls the food I’ve been eating a sausage, but it is basically spicy flat brown fat and doesn’t resemble a sausage in anyways)

As Warren Buffett has said, “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Chalermpong T
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is an absolute great hotel to stay at. It is walking distance to Inner Harbor. Parking is easy although there is a fee but it is not in a parking deck like most hotels in the city. We checked in early and they had a room ready for us. Front desk staff was friendly and answered all questions we had. They are always cleaning, I walkway, elevators and floors. The only down side which wasn't that bad was they only have ice machine on the 2nd and 3rd floors that is why I didn't
Give an excellent review. Very pleased with my stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara C
We greatly appreciate the pleasant review you have posted. As a newly renovated space in the city we do have a welcoming charm and proximity to all the downtown attractions. Our staff are happy to answer all questions our guests have, and with many native to the city and its surrounding areas, we are a grouped concierge steps away from your room. We look forward to your future stays.

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Convenient location in downtown; within walking distance to the Inner Harbor. City bus stops just steps outside of the front door. We were pleasantly surprised with how nice the hotel was. Décor was very nice and the rooms were very clean and well appointed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. My mother had an appointment at John Hopkins which was the reason for our stay. They offer a special rate for patients and also offer a shuttle to the hospital. We had initially booked the room for two days not knowing what may happen with her appointment, and when we wanted to check out a day early they were very understanding and did not charge us any additional room or parking fees. The only downfall was that the walls did seem to be a little thin, and we had some noisy neighbors that got in pretty late.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Grazie! For your wonderful review of our hotel. We are happy that your stay was pleasant and comfortable. With our close relationship with local hospitals and proximity, we truly understand the vicarious nature of being in the hospital. It truly is our goal to create an atmosphere that is welcoming and peaceful to counter balance the stresses of the hospital, and any general stresses of everyday. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to a future stay, with hopes it is catered to leisure and not John Hopkins.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Decided to try this hotel, since it was recommended by the staff at a local hospital. In all, it was a great find - the staff was extremely professional and gave us a lot of tips on local restaurants and places of interest. The hotel is within walking distance of the inner harbor and Little Italy, so that helped to make the stay more enjoyable. The facility was well maintained and the management obviously cares about their customers. I plan to return, soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review. We are always pleased to hear that a stay is “very pleasant.” It is our mission to maintain a Commitment to Your Satisfaction. Our Downtown location makes exploration accessible. And the hotel generates a comfortable atmosphere that might incline you to stay put, which sometimes is needed with our hospital guests. We surely hope to see you again in the future.