“Friendly Staff, Worth the Price, Comfortable Bed”
Review of Envy Hotel

Envy Hotel
Ranked #56 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Within walking distance of many attractions, friendly staff and comfortable bed. I would stay here again if I was to return to Baltimore, MD. I would recommend to others staying in Baltimore. Worth the money! We do recommend taking a taxi to places though or walking in couples/groups given the number of people waiting for the bus outside the hotel on a daily basis.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Envy Hotel

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel's name is deceiving. I do not envy others who stay here. Our room smelled of old smoke as we walked in, and that smell stayed on our clothes and other items even after the trip. The lobby is in need of an update. The hotel is in an unfortuante location by a very busy bus stop, so at nearly all times of the day (630am, 10am, 2pm, 5pm, 7pm, 1030pm) there are large crowds gathered outside the hotel front door, making it difficult to enter/exit, even as a single person. The hotel staff also struggled with our arrival, since we needed to split the bill onto two cards (for work.) It took far longer than usual to complete what is always a simple transaction at other chain hotels. I was very disappointed, and am very glad I did not pay more than I did for this stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The ambiance of this hotel is certainly one that is of dreams, and by dreams, it is often a mix of the nightmares you face regarding hotel amenities. First, the entire hotel smells of the suckling aroma of chlorine. Yet, the true fun in this fact is that a pool doesn't actually exist. Actually what you are smelling is an intense mix of bleach and ajax in the air.

The hotel has the most unusual walls within the rooms. One wall is an odd version of white oceans waves with a neon back lighting similar to a small town, gay bar in the middle of western Kentucky.

The walls are a beautiful yellow. But beautiful would be that of baby food. Also, these yellow walls have odd white stains existing on them. But lamps are provided, and you are allowed to call Heather for a good time. Her name, number, and some inappropriate activities are written on the inside of your room's lamp shade- this could be helpful to those customers seeking some compassionate in the greater Baltimore region.

The views of the room are great. Great being defined as enjoying looking at cement walls.

Basic bathroom needs are not met here. If you enjoy only being allocated two towels, and when you ask for more being told "we are out" is an appropriate response, then this is the hotel for you.

The free breakfast is one to skip, luckily there are other places around the corner. That smell of chlorine fills the air as you smell microwaved eggs and waffles, along with yogurt that is oddly close to the expiration date. Also, where the staff lacks additional service, they make sure to have one staff member continually obsess over the waffle maker. Ensuring the waffle maker is the cleanest aspect of this hotel.

Even today as I write this review, I could hear the faint sounds of screaming. As I went outside my room, I discovered an overzealous woman screaming that the elevator had converted itself into a Tower of Terror, continually rising and falling the six flights of the building. So much so, that I was able to interact with some of Baltimore's finest...the fire department.

Another fun tidbit about this hotel is the game you can play. The game is "how many strange hairs can you find in the room." I love coming back to a freshly made bed with a 2 foot strand of black hair, and looking at the two inch blonde hair person in my mirror's reflection.

Also, the doors of this hotel are certainly one's for the record book. Our first room we had a bathroom door that sounded as if a small baby elephant was awaking at the zoo. At loud, screeching sound, that was then supplemented by the aluminum step entering into the actually bathroom. Then, our attention must turn to the locks. The locks are similar to the interactions between the Real Housewives. They rarely work together, and it requires more effort to keep the door closed then to even open it.

...also, there are drips of blood in the stairwell.

I humble request, that you avoid this hotel. Although I try to sound eloquent in this response, I hope my humor did leave you to avoid this and never to live in horror.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

That's the name of the building it occupies, and it suits it well. My girlfriend and I came into town to see the city and this hotel killed the trip. There was nasty hair all over the bed. The floors were so gross we couldn't take our shoes off. So we left. MGMT wouldn't and will still not refund us our money eventhough we didn't stay. We left to another hotel and were treated very well by them.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The staff were wonderful. They were extremely helpful and kind. The elevator did not have an inspection sheet present, which was alarming and made me not want to use it (but I did!). Despite being next to a bus stop, I experienced no problems from those waiting outside the doors.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Arianna H
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband was having eye surgery at Johns Hopkins at 7am. The operation went much quicker than we thought and we were here in Baltimore in the pouring down rain with no where to go until check in time. We decided to take a chance and headed to the Hotel to see if they had a place we could wait. The very friendly receptionist, Kimberly, was kind enough to locate us a room we could check into immediately. It had a nice king size bed and was very clean but chilly. We turned up the thermostat and took a much needed nap. Upon waking the sun had come out and we walked a short 4 blocks to Inner Harbor and enjoyed the shops and lunch. Upon returning to the room, it had still not warmed up above 65 degrees. I called the desk and another very friendly receptionist, DJ, moved up to another room. The new room was smaller but so much warmer and equipped with a new heating unit which we could regulate. A Subway was a block away so we enjoyed our dinner watching the Olympics on the nice flat screen tv. Up early to leave for my husband's post op appointment, we were thrilled to find the breakfast bar open at 6:30 complete with real eggs and sausage, waffles, an assortment of fruit and yogurts and the standard cereals (and of course juice, coffee and tea) It was delicious and the gal tending it was friendly and attentive as well. I also understand they have a fitness room available but we did not have time to visit.Overall, it was a very pleasant experience especially for an inner city hotel and could not have wanted better service from the employees. If I need to stay in Baltimore overnight again, I would surely book a room here. Price was also one of the best to be found for sure.

Room Tip: rooms not facing Fayette St are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Booked hotel and then read reviews. I was extremely apprehensive to stay at this hotel but it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews lead me to believe. The receptionists were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was quite small but not a big deal. The room was very clean and it was cleaned daily. There was a funky smell in the elevator. I never ate the breakfast so I can't comment. As far as being on a "seedy" street, it didn't seem any different than any other street. It merely had persons waiting for a bus at the bus stop in front of the hotel. The rats in the alley was true but I am sure they can be found all over the city. It was a bit entertaining looking at them at night. I would stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business