“Extraordinary with an emphasis on customer service”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Carlsbad, California
“Extraordinary with an emphasis on customer service”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Our stay (in a room the size of a NYC one bedroom apartment) at this modern and very cool inn was wonderful from the start. The only problem occured when it was time to go - we didn't want to leave and almost (did) miss check-out. The hotel appears to be run by gifted hosts. It would spoil the fun to list all their unexpected touches but trust us there are many many special niceties that truly made the visit welcoming and comfortable. With water views and a neighborhood filled with restaurants for every taste, this is the place to stay!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a water view according to the front desk. The sitting rooms are designed to enter...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Carlsbad_CA_12:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

We as a team appreciate whenever a guest recognizes the emphasis on customer service we strive to give every guest that stays with us. We know there are a lot of hotel choices in the Baltimore Charm City area and glad you choose our Inn to stay at.

If you need anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me at Ryan@theblackolive.com. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

E:Ryan@theblackolive.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New Orlenas
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This small hotel is located within 10 minutes of Johns Hopkins, making it easy for patients to come and go from appointments. Ryan was most helpful in securing drivers for our appointments, and he and Steven were accommodating in every way. When our driver was delayed in collecting us for our trip to the train station Ryan took us himself to make sure we were able to catch our train. Now, that's personal service! We loved the spacious layout and all the amenities. My husband had surgery, so I appreciated being able to sleep in the daybed. The whirlpool bathtub was most relaxing, and the complimentary breakfast was delicious and delivered right on time.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Greetings cd3803:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your excellent and A+ quality stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

I am very happy your husband had a successful surgery and we were able to assist in his strong recovery.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My older son's wedding was held in Baltimore and, as all of our family were from out-of-town, I reserved 9 rooms for our contingent (each of the 12 rooms at The Black Olive is actually a two-room suite plus a very large bathroom with an oversized jacuzzi tub and a separate walk-in shower). My son, his then-fiancée, and I visited The Black Olive in February and were very impressed by the suites when Ryan (guest services manager) gave us a peek at two of them. You have to see them to fully appreciate how 'green' they've made the hotel without short-changing either aesthetics or comfort.

So many of the very positive reviews below favorably describe the suites in more detail, so I will say only that they are accurate. By the way, I am mystified by the negative reviewer's complaint about the A/C, as each room has its own thermostat--I turned mine up and down more than once, and the desired temperature was reached as quickly as anywhere else with a quality HVAC system.

As we all started checking in on Friday, staff were uniformly pleasant and accommodating. I'd arrived by nine am to finalize rehearsal dinner details, so Alicia--the hotel manager--made sure my room was cleaned first.

On Saturday morning, a key family member had a sudden health issue. I wouldn't want to bore anyone with the details except to say: 1) it turned out--thank goodness-- to be only a severe reaction to a combination of two newly-prescribed medicines for his soon-to-be-replaced knees; and 2) the primary symptom was that he couldn't stand without losing his balance and falling over.

A doctor in the family determined that a visit to the ER was not required, but by that point we were 4 hours away from the wedding. To my pleasant surprise, Ryan stepped forward. He and my brother-in-law took great care of our ailing family member--he wasn't left alone for a moment--but it became increasingly clear that he was not going to be able to get into a car, let alone walk down a long church aisle.

Dimitris (one of the hotel owners) and Steve (the afternoon concierge) were also very helpful--they somehow managed to get their hands on a wheelchair in less than an hour. I confess I was getting a bit panicky by now, as it was close to the time we had to leave for the church. I was still in jeans and utterly stymied by the prospect of getting someone in a wheelchair to the church and then the reception.

Ryan offered to sort out the wheelchair logistics and to drive our ailing family member to the church (my son very much wanted this person to attend his wedding--in fact, the wedding was delayed until he arrived). I said to Ryan--half-jokingly-- " Gosh, I wish you were coming to the wedding." His response was that he was off-duty at 5 pm and would be happy to come. And, in a suit borrowed from my younger son, attend he did.

I can say without any hesitation that the wedding and reception would not have been nearly as joyful--and enjoyable--had Ryan not been there to look after our wheelchair-bound family member. What an extraordinary, kind and gracious thing to do...

I travel a good bit and have stayed in grand 5-star hotels every now and then. While they are certainly luxurious, they can also be rather impersonal--I've learned I prefer lovely 4-star boutique hotels where my particular preferences are known and my specific needs attended to (e.g., The Lowell in NYC, The Jefferson in DC).

If you prefer a 5-star, 'name' hotel and find yourself in Baltimore, I am told the Four Seasons is up to par. If, however, you want something every bit as comfortable but way cooler--with truly exceptional, personalized service--choose The Inn at The Black Olive. Oh, and the amenities are not bad either: a full room-service breakfast at no additional cost, a highly rated restaurant on the top floor and an organic Greek cafe off the lobby, guest privileges at The Baltimore Athletic Club, reasonably priced on-site parking, and a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Greetings Laura M:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stellar stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

I really am touched with the comments you made about me regarding the care I gave your key member of the wedding party, it was truly my pleasure making sure the wedding was a success for your family.

Milwaukee
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Cool hotel- read the other reviews for descriptions. Very attentive service, very spacious rooms. The service and the decor reflect the hotel's attitude that you are more like a guest in their home than a number at a big chain hotel. Would recommend highly. The hotel is conveniently located to Johns Hopkins hospital and the hotel's neighborhood is in an old, interesting section of Baltimore, with non-chain stores and non-chain restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Greetings Colleen L:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your excellent stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Our niece was getting married so we were looking for a place convenient to the wedding location. There were several hotels and even B & B's in the area to choose from. The prices were all comparable. I looked on trip advisor and found the "Inn at the Black Olive."
From start to finish a pleasure!

I made our reservations in early May. As time passed I had questions, some changes, more than I had hoped for. But each step along the way was smooth. As the time grew closer I had questions about shopping, restaurants, transportation, etc. Ryan M. Salamon, Director of Customer Relations, held my hand through the process. He arranged our transportation with the timely and charming Wagdy. Ryan made sure that our every need was catered to. He responded to my emails within minutes with clear, precise and professional responses. It was not only via email, but I also spoke with Ryan several times before our arrival. Ryan is a gem!

Durning our stay, Stephen Decker, the young gentleman at the front desk was there for us 100% plus. Whenever we had a need, he was right there. Always with a warm and friendly smile. Where do they find these people!!

Our room was quite spacious and very clean. There were fun and interesting soaps, bubble bath, bath-salts, lotions, etc., luxurious towels and linens. The Jacuzzi tub had air jets, verses water reticulating, a washer/ dryer, and even the soap to go with it. Our needs were met, in spades

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Greetings regolg3dance:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay. I am very happy to hear your visit was so positive and wonderful.

Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Following an arduous day at John Hopkins, we were fortunate to have selected this hotel to recuperate in. The hotel is charming. The suite we stayed in had hard wood floors covered in lovely oriental rugs. The jacuzzi was gleaming, the decor was filled with original art from local art students. The bed was scrumptious. And everything was organic. Best of all was the service. The hotel manager that night, Ryan Solomon, was charming. He personally delivered us to the door of the Black Olive restaurant (also wonderful) and was there when we finished to pick us up and return us to the hotel. His enthusiasm for his job and obvious pleasure at assisting us spoke volumes about the ambiance of this hotel, I don't think I have ever had such warm customer service in a hotel. The entire experience was a recuperative joy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear Stephanie A:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write review about your stay with us!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I just stayed there this weekend while my best friend was getting married. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel itself is lovely, and gives you a real Greek feeling. But I have to say that the shining star of the whole experience was staff member Ryan. When my friends handkerchief accidentally got swept up by the cleaning staff (also very friendly), Ryan not only found it, but cleaned it as well! Any chance he could he went above and beyond typical hotel response. He is truly a special asset to this hotel. All the other staff was also extremely friendly and offered exceptional service. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming into town!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Greetings Katie_mac30:

I appreciate the kind words you mentioned about me & the rest of our staff it was truly our pleasure having you and your wedding party stay with us.