“Nice Location, Walking Distance To Everything, Lacked Personal Touch”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #41 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Potomac, Maryland, USA
“Nice Location, Walking Distance To Everything, Lacked Personal Touch”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After reviewing a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor and other review sites, I decided on the Inn at The Black Olive for my 1 year wedding anniversary. I like the idea of individual suites, location, etc. However, after several phone calls with the Inn on extra items (flowers, chocolate covered strawberries) I was hoping for an extra personal touch especially since it was for an anniversary and not just a business trip. Upon arrival check in was a breeze, we got in at 8 PM on Fri 6/6 and everything seemed to be just fine. The front desk concierge showed us our room, explained the unique characteristics of the hotel, etc. The explanation was fine, the hotel room wasn't. Very empty considering the size of the suite (living area), there was one 2 person couch, a small coffee table, and a small table. The walls were barren with the exception of a few paintings and the flat screen smart tv (which was very hard to use, remote would work 50% of the time). Bedroom and bathrooms were nice, but the walls had a lot of cracks in them and bathroom had some of the paint chipping off from the ceiling above the tub. The bed was comfortable as advertised, no complaints there, the view was less than desirable. Being on the 2nd floor when we asked for a high floor our view consisted of a construction site and buildings... no Inner Harbour water views like I had hoped for.

The flowers I purchased extra for my anniversary through the Inn looked terrible, I could have gotten much better flowers at the local farmers market or grocery store down the street at half the cost. I was told a complimentary bottle of organic greek wine would be waiting for us, there was only one bottle of water in the fridge and the strawberries which were supposed to be delivered were waiting in the fridge, again not what I was expecting nor told.

All in all, the inn itself was decent, the bathroom shower was probably one of the best hotel showers i've used, but overall not what I was expecting especially at the rate I paid for 2 nights. Not to mention the lack of attention to detail when making my plans with the Inn directly on the phone days before my arrival. Did it hamper my anniversary, no everything turned out fine and was lovely. But, I'd figure a smaller inn/hotel would put more of an effort in customer service and attention to details especially when notified the visit is for a special occasion.

Would I go back maybe, but coming from such high expectations I was overall disappointed with the Inn at the Black Olive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank phoha21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Inn at The Black Olive for two nights, May 30 and 31, 2014. The cost for the 2-night stay in the suite was $563.65. I expected an excellent hotel experience for that price and I did not have one. First, I called the day before to inquire as to whether or not I might check-in early. I was told that the earliest they could guarantee was 2:00 pm and I said that would be fine. I arrived a few minutes after 2:00. The person behind the desk said they would have to check to see if it was available and they left the front desk, apparently going to physically check the room. This only became a concern for me when (over an hour later when I finally checked in) I discovered that their practice upon check-in is to make a color photocopy of your driver's license and your credit card, place it in a folder, and set the folder in a holder at eye level at the desk. Furthermore, each folder has the room number clearly written in black sharpie in the corner. For years I've been told never even to say my room number out loud for security reasons and now I have found this allegedly upscale hotel placing my photograph, address, and credit card information in a folder that advertises my room number on the outside. The hotel includes a small organic market and cafe that are open to the public and people walk by the front desk to get to the market. I was told that there is someone at the desk 24 hours a day, but that simply is not true. I watched the person walk away in front of me.When he did finally tell me I could go up to my room even though housekeeping was just finishing up, they were in fact mopping the floors so I had to come back down to the lobby. Once I got settled in, I had a lot of service issues. If you want to change the temperature in your room, you have to call the front desk. During my 2-day stay I called at least a dozen times trying to get a change in temperature or to get the loud fan to stop turning on and off, or to get Netflix to work. Repeatedly I got no answer at the front desk. With Netflix, it ended up that I needed their email address and password in order to get in. It was just one thing after another. They were very friendly and professional about it, but I would expect more. They require you to pay 50% of the total cost when you make the reservation which I did by credit card. I clearly told the person when I checked in that I wanted to pay the balance in cash upon my check-out. He said that would be fine but still needed to make the photocopy of my credit card in case of incidentals or room service. In fact, when I went to check out, I was told I had a zero balance meaning they had charged my credit card without my permission.

I find the practice of keeping a photocopy of guests' credit cards and drivers' licenses in folders on the counter absolutely unacceptable. Anyone could walk by and simply walk away with them. I also find it hard to understand how a small, upscale hotel would have such difficulty providing customer service of a reasonable quality.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
15 Thank 571CAA
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My Experience at The Inn at The Black Olive was Unlike any other All over the World! The Ambiance, Service, Hospitality and MUCH More Were ABOVE AND BEYOND! Please Take Even An Evening To Visit This Amazing Place....Your Life Will Change Forever! Special Kudos To The Owners for Adding The Personal Touch That SO Many Places are Missing! If you are looking for An OUTSTANDING Place to Stay and Dine.... THIS IS THE PLACE!! EXCEPTIONAL BEYOND AN Y EXPECTATION!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Roseville, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My home and lifestyle is very organic and centered upon the care of our planet, so I expect quite bit from a business that titles itself environmentally friendly. I was overwhelmed with the comfort and environmentally friendly plushness of the Inn, from the soothing colors of the walls, to the amazing spa tub and large shower, and the bed that was just too difficult to ever get out of in the morning with its crisp cotton sheets and piles of pillows. I experienced meals at both the restaurant and the Angora Market, never ever disappointed with the flavor-filled, body loving food. The staff were friendly and efficient and seemed to really enjoy working there. It was very difficult to have to leave.

Room Tip: I liked my room with clear windows, but my co-worker had a corner room with the green windows, and t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Debra A
sterling, va
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed for one night this weekend for our anniversary. The room itself is great - *huge*, with wonderful light through the glass wall, *Awesome* bathroom and comfortable bed.

The one thing I have to ding them on is service. First of all, there's virtually no lobby as such, not even a place to sit down. Which was a problem, because our room wasn't ready when we came (3:15 or so) - we went up to the room and it was still being cleaned, so we had to go downstairs and stand around until about 4 when it was finally done. Not a huge inconvenience if we could sit somewhere, but we couldn't.

A few minor inconveniences with the room - we were told there was water in the fridge, wasn't stocked (maybe because the cleaning was rushed?) The bathtub wouldn't drain, and the hairdryer was on the fritz (would overheat in about 10 seconds and shut off). Again, no huge deals on any of this stuff - but when you're paying $300/night, you dont expect it. The person on duty fixed the tub (although it stopped up again the next day) and sent a replacement dryer and got us that water, so it was all good.

What was annoying was that we went to check out on Sunday and the person wasn't at the desk. (We noticed this upon checkin as well - the front desk person walks each person up to their room, and it looked like only one person was there , so the check-in rush (at 3pm) meant people had to wait.) We had brunch reservations and had to leave, and waited around at the front desk for 5-10 minutes with noone showing up. We called the number that the little sign ("Back in 10 minutes", it said) had, but it rang on a cell phone that was at the desk. Finally had to leave a note with the key saying we were checking out. (A passing waiter from the upstairs was very helpful, tried to call someone and at least got us paper and pen.)

So all in all, a less than completely satisfying experience but still we had an enjoyable time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank moshah
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and i recently had a wonderful night at the Inn at the Black Olive. The accommodations, staff and food (we had brunch in the restaurant on the 5th floor) were all perfect. The only bad part of our experience was having to leave. The room was luxoriously relaxing and the cozy pure bed was beyond expectations. Highly recommend checking out the Inn at the Black Olive!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank beandubb
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into this sumptuous beautifully decorated space. It is very much like an apartment with separate living room bedroom and large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub - it is in the fells point area so a little out of the hubbub of the inner harbor area - highly recommend it

• Stayed April 2014