“I stayed at Marriott for a week despite only living 14 miles away”

Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The company for which I work has an annual Directors meeting some place in the world and this time it was in Baltimore, our headquarters, and we were expected to stay in the hotel despite living so close. This was the end of a 5 week trip for me, and staying so close to home, and not being able to commute was somewhat challenging to me. However, I had a great room facing the Inner Harbour - anything less might be a shame. All our events were held inside the hotel so the views were always nice but this has to be the coldest hotel in Baltimore.I've just been in Asia, where all buildings are cool enough to store wine. This hotel is cool enough to turn your hands blue. Seriously though, great views, close walk to Fells Point and the Inner Harbour - equidistant. Room clean and people nice. Parking is SUPER EXPENSIVE but you can save $8 by parking it yourself. Drop off your stuff and park near Fells Point and save money. WIFI is acceptable although somewhat spotty. I did not have to pay for WIFI but that may have been part of our corporate deal. There are cheaper places to stay but none will have a better view than this property and, that is, after all, what sets one hotel apart from another.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I spent two weeks at the hotel caring for my five-month-old grandson while my daughter attended a conference. Everyone from bell hops to housekeeping staff, to concierge were caring and friendly. Every need we had was met quickly and efficiently. We were treated with great courtesy. All staff had smiles for the baby and me.

The room was large, and from the 18th floor, we had a beautiful view of the city. The refrigerator kept the baby's food nice and cold. The housekeeping staff provided a portable crib and gave us extra wash cloths and cups each day for baby food and clean up.

The hotel is located perfectly for walking to restaurants, shops, coffee places, and wine bars. I felt safe walking with an infant in the surrounding neighborhoods. People on the streets were friendly. Although traffic was heavy on occasion, most drivers respected pedestrian crossings.

At best, two weeks is a long time for a hotel stay with a baby. Everyone made the experience easy and fun. I would definitely recommend the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront to anyone staying in the city for a short or extended stay.

CW

Reviewed 25 June 2013

My reasons for giving this hotel and average rating is as follows:
1) $40 per night for valet parking.
2) $12.95 a night for Wi-Fi that was average at best.
3) No free water in the room, nor the option to purchase a bottle.
4) No refrigerator in the room.
5) Only one K-cup for coffee in the morning. (I had to call for another K-cup and waited almost 20 minutes at 8:00 AM)

I know all this may sound ridiculous, but for the rack rate at this hotel (which thankfully I did not pay) I found hidden, extra costs everywhere I looked. It was like a restaurant where you order the steak for $46 and then have to pay extra for the mash potatoes.

If I was on vacation, maybe I would be less critical because the hotel is beautiful and the location cannot be beat. However, I travel all over the country and have stayed in very nice hotels for a lot less money where I felt I was receiving superior value. So for my $$, I'll pass on this hotel next time and stay at the Courtyard down the block.

3  Thank jrman66
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I'm a Platinum Marriott Rewards member so I am used to being treated well at Marriotts but I can tell you that virtually every staff member at this hotel was service oriented, courteous and professional. Every question was answered quickly or researched and responded to. The property itself is in a great location and is in great shape. In particular, the concierge lounge folks were absolutely top notch.

2  Thank CinVinman
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my sons last weekend to see my beloved Red Sox take on the Orioles. I had stayed here a couple years ago when I was here for a conference and liked it, so I was happy to come back.
Visit started out great, arrived a few hours early, asked when I might come back to possibly check in early and was checked in right away. Don't remember the name of the woman at the counter who checked me in (she was from Manchester, England) but she was great, friendly and helpful. We got a room with a beautiful view. Beds were super comfortable, room was bright and airy and impeccably clean.
I like the location just off the Inner Harbor. I've stayed in the Renaissance right on the Inner Harbor, it's almost too close. This area down by Little Italy is great, you can walk to some nice shops, a Whole Foods and to the restaurants of Little Italy.
They were also kind enough to upgrade me to free internet, even though I'm Silver Marriott level, not gold or above.
Only small suggestion, next time you paint the deck around the pool (which was very nice) add some non-skid. It's wildly slippery when wet down there, my 11-year old ended up on his butt, and I almost did the same.
I'll be back to this hotel for sure. Great staff, location and just a real nice hotel.

2  Thank TomandJC
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I stayed on one of the top floors and had a great Inner Harbor view even though the room was considered to have only a partial Harbor view. The location near the Inner Harbor and new Harbor East neighborhood was great--many restaurants and shops (including Whole Foods) are within easy walking distance, and Little Italy is not that far away. Hotel staff is friendly and helpful, rooms and common areas were new and spotless, the restaurant is good, and the casual deli is great for breakfast sandwiches in the AM. (For really great coffee, the nearby Four Seasons hotel has a terriffic gourmet coffee shop.) Baltimore really has a lot to offer the tourist, and this hotel is an excellent launching pad for your adventures in "Charm City."

Room Tip: Even partial harbor views are good (and less expensive). Also, self park your car in the nearby tier...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We loved this hotel! We checked in and said we were going to use our vehicle again, so valet left it close by. When we got to our room, it overlooked the harbor. The front desk gave advice on dinner which turned out to be great and valet gave us perfect walking directions. We easily received a late check out because we went on the sailboat that sails from the Marriott 4 times a day. The sailboat experience was also great and we purchased tickets for it from the back side of the hotel at the sailboat's booth. Excellent comfort.

Room Tip: Definitely want to overlook the harbor and get a balcony. We enjoyed sitting on ours that evening.