“MOVIES MEMORIES”

The Senator Theatre
Ranked #68 of 233 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, The Senator opened on October 5th, 1939 as a single screen movie house. It is a historic Art-Deco movie theatre designed by John J. Zink. The Senator reopened on Thursday, October 10th, 2013 with 4 screens, including the restored and renovated original auditorium.
Forest Hill, Maryland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“MOVIES MEMORIES”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I can remember great films I saw here, Star Wars, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Top Gun, a few Gene Wilder films and, of course, Barry Levinson's. My memory escapes me, however, always chose this spot if it was a special movie. Not sure of what they show now.

1 Thank Sue4452

Baltimore, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Old style”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have a thing for old theaters and find it sad that they aren't as revered as the new ones. This one almost was closed a few years ago and I'm glad that it didn't. We enjoy movies here and will always choose here over the new places.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank raeumlich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome historic venue”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Beautiful old fashioned movie theater (the mens lounge is way groovy) with nice BIG screen. The main downside is that seats are pretty historic as well-anything over 2 hours and my back is not happy.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank IAxilrod
Baltimore, MD
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“I Never Understood the Hype about This Place”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This place was interesting because it had an interior that some of us remember from our youth (one big screen in a sizable room, with some ornate and warm decor features). It was also was imbedded in a neighborhood, rather than part of a distinct shopping/entertainment complex. Otherwise, it was never a big draw for me as a regular destination, but I could see it fitting in well as part of an evening out that included dinner at one of the nearby restaurants, whatever film that is showing, and then perhaps drinks at a nearby bar.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank westernfb
Bel Air
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Show time”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Wonderful old building, great movie house, wish they could move it to Bel Air so more people would go, not a great location to drive to but worth it when you get there, too far for us