“Blast from the past!”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Blast from the past!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Bengie's drive-in is not to be missed! It is truly a blast from the past. I can't think of a better way to catch a movie on a perfect summer evening. I grew up going to the drive-in and it's nice to see that there's still one left in Maryland. It's well worth the hour drive for us.. Your children will love it, there's a playground near the movie screen for the children with mid century swings and slides. The kids can burn off some energy waiting for the movie to start.

Buy some delicious popcorn at the concession stand during intermission. It's delicious! And don't forget your bug spray!

Visited August 2013

Baltimore, Maryland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Good Experience But Bring Bug Spray”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The folks at Bengie's are old school but for a very good reason. I do not think you could enjoy the experience of a drive in now-a-days without following their strict rules..AND THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM.

The food is cheap since it is all junk food but the concession lines are long. Give yourself at least a full 30 minutes to get through the concession line. I do like the fact that you can pay a flat $10.00 per/car fee to bring in your own food - that cuts down on a lot of cost when you have kids or a larger group.

The only thing I really didn't like was the fact they let people come and go at all times - usually 3 shows back to back on the weekends and it is a bit distracting when someone is coming in to park near you once a movie has already started.

Bring bug spray, 2-6 hours in a long time to spend outdoors at that time of night without the critters starting to nip at you. They sell bug spray at the concession stand but it smells very strong and is not safe if you have small children who may put their hands in their mouths - I would invest in some "unscented" spray so everyone can continue to enjoy their popcorn and corndogs.

So long story short, don't get bent by all the rules..follow them. And if you don't think you have to follow the rules, you are probably the jerk they were created for.

Visited May 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Place to take children with Special needs!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

First off the negative reviews are not to be listened to. The rules Mr. Vogel has are clear and for EVERYONE'S safety as well as following the federal guidelines.

Secondly being a parent of a child with autism I can't take my child to a normal theater. I can take my child to this one where his over sensitivity can be contained within the space of the family car with things we bring to calm him down and keep him occupied.

Thirdly the food is superb, popcorn is fresh and better than you would get in a regular theater. They have Birch beer there which is my personal fave and goes amazing with the popcorn.

My family and friends have been going to Bennie for nearly 40 years. We'll never stop this tradition of pure AMERICANA!

College Park, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The biggest screen in the USA!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was randomly googling drive-ins because I thought they were all gone but to my complete and utter joy, there is one about an hour away from where I live. I first visited back in 2012 and every year since then, with my boyfriend and I saw The Raven with John Cusack. It rained but it didn't really change anything. If you do happen to kill your battery they have people who can help you jump your car! (Free of charge which I think is nice) The staff are nice and helpful. If you are going for a special occasion just ask one of the cashiers for an "Announcement" and they'll read it during intermission! (This time I went on my 23rd birthday!) If you go to see one of the later movies admission is usually about $5. (which is cheap!) If you attend the first movie, (sometimes they have triple features) it's only $9 a person which, around where I live, is what we pay for "student" pricing. Bengie's allows you to bring in outside food, for a fee, but they really make their money off of the concession stand. They do take credit cards at the concession stand (Visa and MasterCard only) but I believe they only take cash for the admission. I feel like the food is kind of expensive, but again, this is how they make money, so I don't mind paying a little extra. (you can buy gifts too. As well as online)

In short, Bengie's drive-In is the coolest place! The traffic to get there for me is worth every minute. It's amazing to have a piece of American culture left in today's society.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Anastasia O
Baltimore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Really Fun!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is such an awesome place! Great atmosphere and just an all around good time. The food was good and prices were reasonable. I only wish they'd get rid of the "game machines" they have that tempt little eyes to want to spend time at the machines instead of watching the movies. It had an "old time-classic" feel to it and it was just PERFECT. We will continue to go back!

Visited June 2013