“What am I missing?”

Ranked #5 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Dover, New Hampshire
“What am I missing?”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I didn't have the breakfast....so perhaps I've missed why everyone seems to rave about this property! I only came for one evening for business - but I really didn't think the Inn at 2920 remotely lived up to the expectations. First, I found the location inconvenient, but that was probably my fault for thinking it was more proximal to areas where I've stayed before near. You could definitely walk to a few restaurants in the area, but it was a mostly residential street which took me by surprise. I was greeted by the owner who was very pleasant, but that was where things ended. The shower took about 10 minutes to heat up, there were literally no amenities - no beer or wine and no one was around at all to ask any questions..which I thought was strange. The room itself was fine, but not "luxury" by any standards. Instead of mini toiletries there were dispensers like you would find at the gym..again, odd. I had to leave a day early due to an emergency, and I telephoned the owner. He didn't seem to care much. It was a low price on hotels.com at this property, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank exeter95
INNTwo, Owner at INN at 2920, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
The answer is simple: Pretty much everything that makes our Inn special and unique!
Many of the things mentioned in this review are the very aspects of our Inn that our guests appreciate most. Both our official website and former guest reviews attest to this fact. In response:

Location: Overwhelmingly, guests enjoy our residential neighborhood because it is convenient to, but away from the tourist zone. There are more than two dozen restaurants and many businesses within a 5-10 minute walk, some being on the waterfront. Vibrant O’Donnell Square is just ½ block away.

Check-in: Owner and Innkeeper, Warren personally greeted this guest and, as with all guests, thoroughly explained the features, services and amenities of our Inn; many of which are complimentary. The guest was escorted to her room and was asked if she needed assistance with restaurant suggestions, directions, or places to go. She said she was all set and though she usually stays at an airport hotel when travelling to Baltimore, this time decided to stay in the city because she was meeting a friend for dinner. Warren also explained how to contact him should she need to. (Like most small Inns and B&B’s, we do not maintain a 24-hour front desk)

Shower, Amenities and Alcohol: As an eco-friendly business, we have an “on-demand” in-line hot-water system that takes a few minutes to heat up but uses significantly less energy and provides an endless supply once running. We offer Gilchrist and Soames eco-friendly Zero% line of toiletries which are provided in wall dispensers because we feel the waste of product and packaging with mini-toiletries is unconscionable. Many guests have complimented us on using the dispensers. We do offer a complimentary 24-hour hot and cold beverage station. We do not offer complimentary alcoholic beverages. However, the multitude of pubs and restaurants in the near vicinity provide reasonable opportunities to imbibe and enjoy our neighborhood at the same time.

Early departure: This guest called unexpectedly at 6:50 AM from the airport to tell us she had to leave due to a family illness and to ask us to send her the invoice for her stay. Warren said he was sorry to hear this and was sympathetic asking if everything was OK. He did explain to her that we could not provide an invoice because she had pre-paid through Hotels.com and we are subsequently paid by them at a lower pre-negotiated price after a guest’s departure. He indicated that the booking confirmation/receipt from Hotels.com should suffice as an invoice. This perhaps could have been misconstrued as being non-caring.

Luxury: We do not profess nor advertize on our website that we are a luxury property. We do advertise that we are a contemporary and chic boutique inn and our style is admired by many. The Luxury market starts at a much higher price point. It appears that this guest may have been expecting luxury for a bargain.

As the proud owners of Inn at 2920 we would like to assure guests reading this review and our response that we are true to who we are in all aspects of Innkeeping. We do not profess to be something we are not. We will continue to work hard to live up to our reputation and provide the service, accommodations and breakfasts that our guests love and have returned to enjoy again and again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Warren and David were welcoming and hands on hosts. Their follow through and thoughtfulness were much appreciated ( as well as their bumor- our resident beta fish Valentino there to welcome us). The room was very clean and the appointments nicely done. The breakfast was filling and very good and available at the requested time.
The area was very bandy for us to visit our son and I know he enjoys the neighboring Canton Square one block north. There are a number if fun restaurants there ( I'd recommend Nacho Mamma's). It is easy to get to Fell's point and the on Inner Harbor without having to deal with all the conjestion and noise We look forward to our next stay at the inn at 2920

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently spent several nights at the Inn during a sailing trip with a friend who keeps his boat in Baltimore Harbor. I booked here due to proximity with the marina! I was not disapointed in any way! Every aspect of this B&B was beyond my expectations. The "Inn Sitters" that looked after everything while David and Warren were away were absolutely fantastic! The breakfast quality was incredible and lived up to the reputation I had read about on TripAdvisor prior to going to Baltimore. The little touches were very welcome...Valentino the fish in my room was a great addition, the DVD collection to keep me entertained during some hot afternoon rests after a long morning of sailing, and of course the room was very comfortable - especially the bed! This B&B is a short walk to a lot of really quaint areas of Baltimore (Canton, Fells Point, Harbor Promenade) and a very short cab ride to the downtown core. All in all, its stylish, comfortable, just right in size, impeccably clean, great hosts, and amazing breakfasts! I will stay here again any time I am in Baltimore!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were visiting Baltimore for a two-day conference and wanted something more than just the usual franchise hotel. Inn at 2920 was perfect: comfortable, friendly, welcoming - a world away from the corporate sterility one usually has to endure on these conference trips. The inn is a stylishly refurbished older townhouse with a contemporary feel, but still warm and comfortable. The managers were extremely welcoming, and made sure we had what we needed, but otherwise left us to our own devices. The individually-cooked breakfasts were a real treat, supplemented by trays of home-baked cookies waiting for us after a long day. The area is quite a surprise, too - just half a block down from Canton Square, which is filled with excellent restaurants, bars and cafes. Other reviews mention this as a great place for couples, but I'd also suggest it to business travellers. Only thing to watch out for is the lack of dedicated parking, meaning you have to spend a few minutes hunting for a spot on the street. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this place. Great food, great location, great room, a pet fish, overly friendly owners, very clean...
I will stay here every time I am in Baltimore.
The only improvement I could possibly suggest is better wifi connection. But really, not a big deal at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Milford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I just returned from a short stay in Baltimore at the Inn at 2920 in Canton. We've stayed at many B&B's in the past including several in Cape May, N.J. We also stayed at the Admiral Fell Inn in Fells Point. However, none were quite like the Inn at 2920. None gave you the underlying feeling of personal attention and care for your personal needs as the Inn at 2920. Additionally, this is the perfect B&B in size as it is not too small, not too large. There are five bedrooms in total (we stayed in the "Bordello" room). Bed (king size) and pillows were wonderfully comfortable. Like the inn itself, the room was not too large and not too small. Also provided in our room was a large desk adorned with "Valentino", our "in-room" Beta fish. He only asks that you turn his aquarium light on in the a.m. and off at night. He is a beautiful and obviously not too demanding fellow. As was the case with the rest of the property, our room was decorated beautifully and impeccably kept.
We had three different breakfasts, all deliciously cooked by Warren. We considered Warren's food to be of chef-prepared quality. Accompanying his main serving was a bowl of fresh fruit daily along with a choice of four different juices.
For all the pluses/positives I could tell you about, the highest acclaim must go to Warren and David themselves. They present you with a "home away from home" at their Inn. Although we did not have the pleasure of meeting David, we can honestly say we have never met such an accommodating, pleasant and sincere innkeeper who desired nothing more than to make your stay as welcoming, warm and pleasant as possible in Warren. Warren is not only an amazing cook but a sincere and caring man who provides impeccable levels of service. Need a place to eat? Ask Warren. Need a suggestion for almost anything to see or do in Baltimore? Ask Warren. Looking for a wonderful inn just a short water taxi ride from the tourist hub of the Inner Harbor? Do yourself a favor and stay at the Inn at 2920 (We prefer to call it "Warren and David's Place").

Room Tip: Although we did not see the other rooms, the "Bordello Room" was perfect in size and locat...