“Interesting, inventive menu, very good food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Baltimore, Maryland
“Interesting, inventive menu, very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We went to Sascha's because of the interesting menu provided for restaurant week. It's location on Charles St. 1/2 block south of the Washington Memorial plaza is easy to get to. Inside , the ceilings are 20 or 30 feet, interesting artwork abounds and the whole effect is great.
The menu is eclectic, but approachable. Every item made me want to try it. For 1st course we had the asparagus salad with duck prosciutto and the short rib with jicama-orange slaw, and I was disappointed that we didn't get 4 different things because I wanted to try everything. For the 2nd course we had the filet, the salmon, the gnocchi and the pork chop. Each has such a long list of interesting and inventive ingredients and accompaniments that you would be better off reading their menu on line than me trying to describe them here. They were all very good. For dessert we had the Italian budino pudding, the carrot cake and the chocolate mousse, all very enjoyable.
The menu changes frequently according to the waitress, but there is always a filet, some pork, a vegetarian entree, salmon and chicken. I put 5 points for value since we were there on the restaurant week for the $30 dinner menu, it is more expensive regularly- but not crazily so.
We intermittently watch the cooking competition shows and think it would be great to have inventive chefs in Baltimore. Well we do, at Sascha's. Each choice was interesting, inventive and enjoyable. We will go back.

• Visited July 2013

Baltimore
“Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I've heard good things about the drinks and dessert at Sascha's 527 Cafe.

I met up with a group of friends here to do just that -- grab dessert and drinks. Wasn't a bad idea.

Service was fantastic, very friendly and attentive especially on a Friday night. I gathered from the friends who did order food that it was mediocre. However, the drinks menu was superb, and the bartenders are willing to mix any concoction that you'd request, provided they have what you're asking for. Dessert requires you to have a super sweet tolerance to appreciate. The chocolate cake and carrot cakes were pretty decent.

Visited January 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Great food in an eclectic setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

High ceilings and space between the tables make this a perfect place to enjoy a good meal and a chat. Original art on the walls makes it more than your typical eatery; surprisingly we showed up with a crowd of 8 mid week and got seated immediately. Try the salmon tacos - or the fried green tomatoes with greens for starters! Or the shrimp with grits! I had the short ribs and they were so tender. We will definitely be back

Visited June 2013
Baltimore, MD
“Pleasant Dinner Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Ate here a couple of nights ago. Found parking on the street nearby, which was a treat, and because it was after 6pm, we did not have to pay for parking (also a treat).

The interior is very spacious and attractive. Service was great from start to finish. I tried four items:

1. Fried green tomato appetizer: Reasonably sized portion. Nice presentation. Tasted very fresh. Badly needed seasoning for my taste. E.g., the “ham braised greens” seemed to be steamed or boiled, but I could not detect any ham flavor. The bacon pieces on top added some saltiness and flavor to a few bites but were insufficient in number and texture easily cut and combine with every bite of the greens-tomato-bacon trio.

2. Beet salad appetizer: Tasty combination of beets, greens, goat cheese and balsamic dressing, but disappointingly light on beets!

3. Bison burger sliders: Tasty.

4. Fried chicken special: Generous portion of chicken. Nice breading seasoning. Batter was just a bit too thick for me. Mashed potatoes were a bit thin and would have been nice with gravy. Corn muffin was good. Cole slaw was exceptional, but came in the tiniest of dishes.

5. Dessert: Forget what it was called, but it was a bit like vanilla and caramel pudding layers over some shortbread in a glass cup. It was good.

6. Coffee: Good

Total price paid for all of the above (excluding tip) was about fifty three dollars.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Possibly Baltimore's best and cheapest lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

For no more than $10-12 per person, the delicious lunch options in the beautiful interior of this Charles Street establishment make this a frequent destination for me. You can order from the dishes behind the glass or order at the counter from the lunch menu. My favorites are the curried chicken salad and carrots. I think the carrots may be marinated but however they are prepared they are one of the best dishes in Baltimore. Saschas is a Baltimore treasure.