“Fantastic Crab & Great Service”

George's-Mount Vernon Square
Ranked #392 of 2,025 Restaurants in Baltimore
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mount Vernon
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fantastic Crab & Great Service”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I arrived at the Wyndham Baltimore Peabody Court at lunchtime today in very cold weather. I asked for a lunch recommendation and was referred to George's which is located in the hotel. I just wanted something light so I got the Maryland Crab soup and a small Caesar salad. The soup was fantastic - chock full of huge chunks of sweet crab and loads of veggies, with just enough spice to warm me up. Wished I had ordered a bowl instead of a cup!

After venturing out to get oriented to my surroundings, I decided it was too cold to wander too far and planned to just do work at the hotel and eat at George's again for dinner. I had the crab cakes which were out of this world. Again, huge chunks of crab with just the right amount of spice and moisture, with a little bit of crunch from the browned outer layer. The mildly spicy sauce that accompanied them was great, but I didn't even use it because I didn't want anything to mask the perfection of the crab cakes. The cakes came with asparagus and rice - the asparagus was cooked perfectly and the rice was a wonderful accompaniment.

To top it off, I had the best waitress, Renee. She was just attentive enough to meet my every need, but was never a bother or a distraction to the food. She knew the menu well and was able to answer my questions, was quick with service, very professional, and extremely pleasant.

I would eat every meal at George's during my stay here in Baltimore, but I do feel like I should give some other restaurants a chance to impress as well!

Amy

• Visited March 2014

Washington, DC
“Excellent room service breakfast”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I had room service breakfast every day, the food was good & the staff were very friendly and prompt.

• Visited March 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had a great evening at George's. It had a quiet relaxed feel, prompt & professional service and the different menu items we ordered were really good.

• Visited October 2013
Baltimore
“Food Makes Up For The Few Imperfections...”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

After our wedding on Saturday afternoon, my husband and I needed a decent restaurant to accommodate our small party of 20 friends and family. I called George's a few days before this to to make the reservation.

The wedding ended earlier than we expected, so I called the restaurant to let them know we would be a half hour early. They said this was no problem.

Upon arriving, the waitress tried seating the entire party at separate tables (5 to be exact), spread out all of the restaurant. Obviously this was not going to work for us. After a short deliberation, we were told we could push all the tables together so we could all eat together. Clearly this should've been done first, but definitely not worth getting mad over.

After we settled in, the waitress took our drink order, and although she forgot a few things, we were off to having a good time. She was a very friendly server even though it did take longer than expected to get drinks.

We ordered appetizers and entrees at the same time and our waitress did a very good job making sure that everything was timed perfectly. We never once I felt rushed which is what we were going for.

I especially enjoyed my seafood pasta entree and crab dip appetizer. Everything was cooked perfectly and it was definitely one of the better meals I've had in a Mt. Vernon restaurant.

No one else had any complaints about the food either and plates were bare by the end of the meal indicating everyone had a good meal.

Some of the staff (food runners) seemed incredibly rude when they brought stuff to the table, but for the most part we were all lost in our own worlds of a joyous occasion to really notice. If this is something that would offend you, I would recommend not eating here. Not sure what all the attitude was about.. LOL!

A lot of things can go wrong on a wedding day and although this reception wasn't perfect, it's not worth getting angry over a few minor details. But the tables should've already been put together and the staff should've been more friendly.

I would definitely go back for the food and just hope and pray that the service gets better.

Hope this review helps everyone.

J.R.

• Visited September 2013
nanticoke pa.
“very happy happy hour”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

didnt eat in the resturaunt but in the bar area for happy hour. i had the wings which were very good. the bar does get very crowded and it's not a very big bar. after the 1st visit the next day the bartender knew what i was going to order. (natty boh )

• Visited September 2013