“Worst hotel experience ever”

Red Roof Inn Baltimore Northwest
Ranked #49 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 13 August 2012

First off, I'm not a picky traveler and I realize that when you buy with a Kayak or Priceline that you're going to get what you pay for. HOWEVER...the pictures on travel websites do NOT accurately portray this horrible, run down, dangerously located property. We were supposed to stay at the Red Carpet Inn, paying for a non-smoking pet friendly room, only to find out they don't allow pets and the rooms aren't non-smoking. My hubby checked the room out while I waited in the parking lot with the doors locked (with people screaming and fighting with each other) and said we couldn't stay there. The door didn't close all the way and it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke.

So, the guy at the front desk, who was very snarly, didn't speak English, didn't understand anything I was asking, shuffled us off to the Econo Lodge property behind the Red Carpet Inn. Apparently, it's the same company. They're non-smoking and pet friendly. We asked to have a new receipt to state the change and he wouldn't do it and said to come back. We checked into the Econo Lodge with no paperwork and the guy just handing us a key. I asked for a receipt and he said I'd have to get it from the Red Carpet. We'd deal in the morning.

The room there was okay. Didn't smell and I could at least sleep there without keeping one eye open. It was pet friendly, so our two cats were good. Until.....one of them started playing with something...a packet...looked like a bag of M&Ms. NO...it was a pack of rat/rodent repellent. The package was compromised and I didn't know if my fur baby had done it or if a resident rat had done it. So, off we go to the Pet ER thirty minutes away. Two hundred dollars later, we had to have our baby's stomach pumped to make sure he got no rat poison. He's fine -- thank GOD! -- and the next morning when we checked out, we tried to complain to the manager. Not one to be found. We got a hand written receipt from the Red Carpet Inn saying we'd stayed there, but that was it. When I tried to explain what had happened and I was forming a complaint, the guy acted like he didn't understand me at all. Pretending not to speak English.

This was such a frustrating experience! I'm still waiting to hear from Red Carpet/Econo Lodge about reimbursement for my pet's vet bill since their "pet friendly" hotel had RAT POISON in the room.

DO NOT stay here. Not alone. Not as a family. Not as a couple. Not as a business person. Never. Don't do it. Pay more money and stay somewhere else...or just keep driving. This was a horrible experience and someone WILL be reimbursing us for what happened.

Horrible customer service, questionable clientele, nasty section of town. Avoid at all costs. I'm not exaggerating.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank marley_h_gibson

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I would definitely NOT recommend this place. Spent the night there while in B'more overnight about a week ago. First, let me say the rooms STINK and smell of cigarettes (we had a non-smoking room); the minute you walk in the smell of smoke hits you smack in the face. Second, the walls are extremely thin, you could hear couples not only on both sides of you having sex but the couple above us I thought was going to come through the roof you could hear them, I truly expected the bed to crash through the roof at any minute (also, while sounds of sex could be clearly heard, there were family's there with children in some rooms) I truly hope that couples were not in the rooms with children doing their "thing." The KILLER of it all was when I awoke the next morning, I had a strange bite mark below my lip on my chin which I later found out was a BED BUG BITE! My wife freaked out because she's a nurse and she said she thought it was either a mosquito or spider bite based on the circular pattern of the bite mark, I saw my doctor who confirmed what it actually was. Needless to say, I will NOT be returning to the place of business ever again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wayne j
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The lady at the front desk was very polite despite her not understanding English very well. The price was $20 cheaper than the Econo Lodge at the other side of the parking lot and had the same rooms. There were not many people there. The room smelled strongly of some sort of cleaning product, just cant think of what it is. The floor, furniture, and beds were clean and the sheets/ blankets smelled good. The t.v. worked good for an older model, about a 28" screen. The bathroom was clean but there was water spots everywhere, and we wiped the toilet seat off before sitting on it. The room was very dark, not the best lighting. We only heard one siren from an ambulance at around 10 pm. There was a group of individuals in the "pool" area at 6 am yelling at each other and one kept saying "what da f***". That was very rude and annoying. I believe the same group was up for several hours earlier banging on each others doors and being very loud. I believe the rooms should be priced at around $45 a night....

Room Tip: Room 225 was nice, thats where we stayed.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We got this motel just to stay overnight after a club.(we are from VA came for a party to Baltimore). So... at 5PM we checked in... the place (not a room) smelled as a pee. When I saw a room i am started crying (I am from a different country, was traveling a lot ... but I have never seen something like that)... A room was dark, very-very old and smelled as a cigarette (very very bad), I got a headache right a way (I am 25). Also a weird guy was watching us from a car parked on the side of a motel (the guy was still there after we came back to check out in one hour (thanks God, Hilton had rooms available.) And of course these ppl didnt give us a money back (this two Indian dudes were never at the 'front desk' and we had to wait for them 20-30 mins each time we wanted something). I am usually never leave a reviews, but please, don't go there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stroptivay86
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This hotel doesn't seem to have many recent reviews, so I wanted to be sure no one ever considers this scary, filthy dump as an option. We wanted an inexpensive, basic place for two nights, and weren't expecting much, but this is beyond dirty and uncomfortable. Three rooms all had sinks and bathtubs covered with cigarette burns, and it didn't even look like they took the time to wipe the surfaces down. Cracked tiles and old fixtures do not harm, but I washed the shower and sink myself before going near them and can confirm that they were not cleaned. Worn-out, STAINED sheets, and not just a spot, a lifetime of unsavory things happened on those sheets! Pilly blankets i was afraid to let touch my skin. The king size beds were lumpy and uncomfortable. Two rooms had broken security latches. One had what really looked like a blood stain on the carpet. The area is depressed and felt unsafe, even though we didn't have any encounters with shady characters. The odd part is that I saw housekeeping everyday. Just can't figure out what they were doing. It was quiet at the hotel, but the squalor and ancient beds made it impossible to get a decent night sleep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank babzbeb
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The rooms are dark and dingy. The outlets are hanging off the walls. It's in a rundown area. Cops are constantly being called for complaints from some of the consumers. The area is constantly being patroled by Cops. Sirens going off day and night Television only has three or four working channels. One premium channel. No more then four digits television volume. No continental Breakfast as promised. Take my word it ain't worth it. You get what you pay for!! Booked for three days but slept there one night and left the next.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank moneybags58
Reviewed 10 September 2008

ok service in cheaper rate. rooms are ok.. locaiton ok. but small problem with restroom. overall the hotel is ok to stay in cheaper rate.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank clet2