“Wasn't terrible”

Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Lapeer, Michigan
“Wasn't terrible”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two weeks while in town working. I was worried it was gonna be terrible due to the appearance and bad reviews. The lady in the office was very friendly! The room was large. The bed was kinda hard but comfortable. Pillows were great. Shower head sucked but had good pressure. Nothing fancy but for the price it was good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank B3amt3am

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is motel is as everyone described- run down, cigarette burns in blankets, old beat up room, and the motel is also partially under construction- no lobby. For the price, some will deal.

But- don't. It has bedbugs. Yes. Bedbugs. My friend and I both got bit by bedbugs while we were there. (I come from NY, I know what bedbugs are. NO, it, wasn't mosquitos, it wasn't gnats or fleas. It's not mosquito season. We both went to sleep okay- a bit stinky, the room0 but we BOTH woke up with bedbug bites on several parts of our bodies.

Not only did we get bedbugs, we put our knapsacks on the floor and our clothes on the furniture not knowing there was a bedbug infestation. We had to wash all our clothes and everything out in hot water to keep from bringing bedbugs back home. And we're still worried.

Stay away til they get the bedbug infestation taken care of. This is scary stuff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank guest774
Groton, New York, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My company made reservations for me sight unseen. With about an hour left in my drive my daughter decided to read the reviews. I want to thank everyone that took the time to write them! When we pulled in we could see the place looked like it was crumbling and had rust stains everywhere. It was located in a bad part of town, and my daughter even saw a drug deal in the parking lot. I'm fairly hearty and after driving 6 hours I was willing to at least look at a room to make my final decision. I was not permitted to view a room prior to registering. I told them they had terrible reviews and that I wanted to cancel. They said I had to call the boss to cancel. I then asked for his number. They informed me that it was confidential and they couldn't give it to me. At this point I also had my boss on my cell phone. and she was listening to this exchange. She wanted to speak to them so I asked for their number. The clerk told me he didn't know it.. what???!! I asked a few more times and he kept refusing to give me their number. Finally his wife gave me a piece of paper with the information on it. I'm at motel 6 now. It was a 15 min drive but well worth it! It's a bit run down but the price was only 5 bucks more a night and i'm not worried about rats, bed bugs and my life!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Deirdre V
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2012

First off, I'm not a picky traveler and I realize that when you buy with a Kayak or Priceline that you're going to get what you pay for. HOWEVER...the pictures on travel websites do NOT accurately portray this horrible, run down, dangerously located property. We were supposed to stay at the Red Carpet Inn, paying for a non-smoking pet friendly room, only to find out they don't allow pets and the rooms aren't non-smoking. My hubby checked the room out while I waited in the parking lot with the doors locked (with people screaming and fighting with each other) and said we couldn't stay there. The door didn't close all the way and it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke.

So, the guy at the front desk, who was very snarly, didn't speak English, didn't understand anything I was asking, shuffled us off to the Econo Lodge property behind the Red Carpet Inn. Apparently, it's the same company. They're non-smoking and pet friendly. We asked to have a new receipt to state the change and he wouldn't do it and said to come back. We checked into the Econo Lodge with no paperwork and the guy just handing us a key. I asked for a receipt and he said I'd have to get it from the Red Carpet. We'd deal in the morning.

The room there was okay. Didn't smell and I could at least sleep there without keeping one eye open. It was pet friendly, so our two cats were good. Until.....one of them started playing with something...a packet...looked like a bag of M&Ms. NO...it was a pack of rat/rodent repellent. The package was compromised and I didn't know if my fur baby had done it or if a resident rat had done it. So, off we go to the Pet ER thirty minutes away. Two hundred dollars later, we had to have our baby's stomach pumped to make sure he got no rat poison. He's fine -- thank GOD! -- and the next morning when we checked out, we tried to complain to the manager. Not one to be found. We got a hand written receipt from the Red Carpet Inn saying we'd stayed there, but that was it. When I tried to explain what had happened and I was forming a complaint, the guy acted like he didn't understand me at all. Pretending not to speak English.

This was such a frustrating experience! I'm still waiting to hear from Red Carpet/Econo Lodge about reimbursement for my pet's vet bill since their "pet friendly" hotel had RAT POISON in the room.

DO NOT stay here. Not alone. Not as a family. Not as a couple. Not as a business person. Never. Don't do it. Pay more money and stay somewhere else...or just keep driving. This was a horrible experience and someone WILL be reimbursing us for what happened.

Horrible customer service, questionable clientele, nasty section of town. Avoid at all costs. I'm not exaggerating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank marley_h_gibson
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I would definitely NOT recommend this place. Spent the night there while in B'more overnight about a week ago. First, let me say the rooms STINK and smell of cigarettes (we had a non-smoking room); the minute you walk in the smell of smoke hits you smack in the face. Second, the walls are extremely thin, you could hear couples not only on both sides of you having sex but the couple above us I thought was going to come through the roof you could hear them, I truly expected the bed to crash through the roof at any minute (also, while sounds of sex could be clearly heard, there were family's there with children in some rooms) I truly hope that couples were not in the rooms with children doing their "thing." The KILLER of it all was when I awoke the next morning, I had a strange bite mark below my lip on my chin which I later found out was a BED BUG BITE! My wife freaked out because she's a nurse and she said she thought it was either a mosquito or spider bite based on the circular pattern of the bite mark, I saw my doctor who confirmed what it actually was. Needless to say, I will NOT be returning to the place of business ever again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wayne j
Honey Grove, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The lady at the front desk was very polite despite her not understanding English very well. The price was $20 cheaper than the Econo Lodge at the other side of the parking lot and had the same rooms. There were not many people there. The room smelled strongly of some sort of cleaning product, just cant think of what it is. The floor, furniture, and beds were clean and the sheets/ blankets smelled good. The t.v. worked good for an older model, about a 28" screen. The bathroom was clean but there was water spots everywhere, and we wiped the toilet seat off before sitting on it. The room was very dark, not the best lighting. We only heard one siren from an ambulance at around 10 pm. There was a group of individuals in the "pool" area at 6 am yelling at each other and one kept saying "what da f***". That was very rude and annoying. I believe the same group was up for several hours earlier banging on each others doors and being very loud. I believe the rooms should be priced at around $45 a night....

Room Tip: Room 225 was nice, thats where we stayed.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We got this motel just to stay overnight after a club.(we are from VA came for a party to Baltimore). So... at 5PM we checked in... the place (not a room) smelled as a pee. When I saw a room i am started crying (I am from a different country, was traveling a lot ... but I have never seen something like that)... A room was dark, very-very old and smelled as a cigarette (very very bad), I got a headache right a way (I am 25). Also a weird guy was watching us from a car parked on the side of a motel (the guy was still there after we came back to check out in one hour (thanks God, Hilton had rooms available.) And of course these ppl didnt give us a money back (this two Indian dudes were never at the 'front desk' and we had to wait for them 20-30 mins each time we wanted something). I am usually never leave a reviews, but please, don't go there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stroptivay86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baltimore
Americas Best Value Inn
Mt. Washington
Mt. Washington Conference Center
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville

Been to Red Roof Inn Baltimore Northwest? Share your experiences!