“Positives and negatives, but good hotel overall” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel & Conference Center

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Wayland, New York, United States
“Positives and negatives, but good hotel overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here over the week of 4th of July for 3 nights. We had a room with a king bed and a sofa bed which my son slept on the 3 nights of our stay. Overall, my husband and I agreed that we were pleased with our stay. I'll break down the positives and negatives:

Positives: The lobby is open and clean, gives a great first impression. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. Anastasia, who checked us in, made sure we were aware of the pool and fitness center, as well as their free shuttle service. Our room was on the 12th floor, and was decently sized. The room was clean, I didn't have any reservations about just laying down and feeling comfortable. The bed was fantastic, and the sofa bed was even comfortable, my son slept like a log. The air conditioner kept our room ice cold in the sweltering heat outside, which was a plus. The pool has a hot tub on one end, and was a good temp to sit in at the end of the day, as well as being monitored by someone, which is peace of mind. The housekeeping staff was also courteous and helpful, bringing extra supplies up to our room when requested within about 20 minutes. The vending machines on the floor were even reasonably priced (for hotel prices anyway, lol). The shuttle service is convenient with an Inner Harbour stop right at pier 5. (I believe their other downtown stop is the convention center.) The parking is free, and if you know anything about parking downtown, you know how much of a $$$ saver that is ($20 + per day on average). Dinner in the hotel restaurant was only ok, they had a jazz buffet that night, but the girl who took care of us, Rochelle, was wonderful. That jazz was good too. Check out was an easy process, just a call down to the front desk and out the door we go.

Negatives: The neighborhood. It sucked. Its right off 95 across from a truck stop in what seems like a forgotten few pieces of property within the city. That's a shame, because I really think that is the biggest drawback to this place. You don't know it once your on the property, but you cartainly are aware of it as you are pulling up to it. They have a night club on the far side of the hotel, and at least on Thursday night the thump-thump-thumping of the bass resonating throught the lobby was irritating. Thankfully the sound did not carry beyond the first floor. The free breakfast they serve is marginal at best, although it is a "full" breakfast instead of just bagels and juice. One of the staff who works the breakfast shift was so completely miserable in her job it certainly did not go unnoticed with several guests as well as ourselves. If you even so much as asked her if something could get refilled, she huffed and stomped away with nary so much as a "be right back." I tried a few times to catch her name tag, but she dodged facing people really well and I was unable to get a name to post. The fitness center is really only a treadmill, an eliptical, and a stationary bike, so unless that's what really gets you going, its not much to sneeze at.

Overall, the positives definitely outweighed the negatives. As a family, we walked away happy and satisfied with out stay here. It is definitely an option for us to return to in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Janet C, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
We really appreciate your review, both the positves and the negatives.
We have addressed the issue of the "thumping" sounds of the bass from the nightclub and believe that has been resolved. I'm sorry to hear of the poor service you received from our breakfast attendant. I know you couldn't get her name but would appreciate a call with a description of this employee. It is only when guests report these problems that we are able to address the employees.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I don't even know where to start on how this horrible hotel had ruined my trip to Baltimore. This place is awful and need some upgrade. First the photos made the hotel look very upscale. In reality, the furniture and decor was middle of the road and very old. I don't think they understand the meaning of maintenance and cleaning. The paint in the bathroom ceiling was all bubbling and peeling off. The bath tub was rusty and dripping water. The floor hallways doesn't look that have AC at all and the carpet is disgusting. The exercise room equipment had clearly not been cleaned in a long time, and it's not AC in it. They have a inside pool with a hot tub but without ventilation, just one door to the patio. It's a restaurant inside the hotel TradeWings, Food is good and tasty but the carpet and walls make the place look very awful place. Breakfast is average, Service is really good but disgusting hotel, Night Club in the premises but was close the day we stay. We will never stay or recommend this place and stay far away from this place and save your money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Janet C, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced when staying with us. Like most hotels, we are constantly working on upgrades. We recently replaced all of the TV's in the hotel and now we have begun the replacement of mattresses and furniture.
Plans have been put in place for new air conditioning units for the pool area and the fitness center.
We hope you will reconsider and stay with us the next time you are in Baltimore. You are welcome to preview a room upon arrival to make sure it meets with your expectations.
Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus.
Madison, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel 4th of July. We came in and I asked if we could check in early. There was a room available. After the long drive, this was welcomed news. After entering the room, I noticed a burn hole in the bed cover. I contacted the front desk. They were going to send up housekeeping. They did. I wanted to use the safe but it was locked. I called the desk again. Then I noticed the desk chair had a rip in the seat. I called the front desk again. At this point, we were still trying to get settled in and had not unpacked. I tried to use the Wi-Fi and was unable to access it. I went down to the front desk to inform them. I received a call from my daughter as the lady from the front desk was looking at my phone. My daughter informed me that the TV screen was damaged on the right side. I told the lady at the front desk. People came up to look at it. The lady that came in the room said those kids damaged that TV (she had to mean the previous guest, because I only had one child in the room and that was my daughter who is 19.) She said they were going to move us to the room across the hall. Then other people came to look at the TV. I presume maintenance people. Then the men came back with the manager. The manager looked at the TV and I also told him about the chair damage. He said he was closing the room and no other guest would be using the room. A long time passed and I did not hear from anyone regarding moving us to another room. The maintenance man came back and said they haven't moved you yet. I called down to the front desk and the lady acted as she knew nothing about the move. Later the manager came back with someone else and asked was this a good place to talk. At this point, I knew that the manager was assuming we did the damage. We had just got their and not even unpacked. Looking at the TV you could not even tell their was any damage to the TV. It is when you turned it on the damage could be noticed. In the conversation with the manager he insinuated that my daughter may have did it on accident. I said no, we just got their and we hadn't even unpacked. The discussion went no where with the manager. I asked for the police to be called regarding the matter. After hearing both sides, the police did not take a report. They said it was nothing they could do. It was a civil matter. The hotel charged $500 for damage on the TV. We had just got there and had not unpacked. Their was not noticeable damage to the TV when it is turned off. You only noticed when you turned on the TV. And the lady who came in the room and stated the kids tore up the TV and we were going to move, when the cops came she denied even stating that. I have been to many hotels and have never had anything like this happen. Upon entering a room with a flat screen you cannot tell whether it is damaged or not. See photos. Beware!!!!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank love2travel2placesto
We are sorry for the problems you incurred while staying with us. The room was inspected prior to your arrival by both our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff and everything was in working order. Our Management has investigated the matter and believes our staff worked with you in a professional manner and did their best to rectify the situation..
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed at hotel fri and sat night. In town for the baseball game. Loved the shuttle. Room clean and comfortable. Hallways hot but a/c works in the room very well. Housekeeping does great job. Front desk helpful. While in the elevator on the way to check out a hotel staff woman saw me struggling with my luggage and offered to help me and went out of her way to do so. Overall I would defiantly recommend and stay again. Especially since right off Rt 95.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review and thank you for pointing out our convenient location right off I-95 with free parking AND and a free scheduled shuttle. We strive for excellent customer service and it seems that our staff met your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Brighton, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

The hotel was very close to a conference I was attending. When I arrived and saw it was across the street from the TA truckstop, I was worried. When I walked in, the lobby was nice and cool and it seemed nicer than I expected. When I got to the 11th floor, the heat in the hallway was oppressive. The room was nice, the flat screen TV a nice plus, the flat TV remote is supposed to be hygienic.
I went downstairs for dinner and could not believe the rowdy behavior of patrons in the lounge and the thump-thump-thump of music coming through the walls. The waitress, Ruth, was nice and I had some Maryland crab soup. I couldn't wait to get out of there and back to my room. I noticed a scantily dressed young woman with a small tote bag waiting outside the room next door to mine. I had a bad feeling about it and mentioned her to my husband.
About 1:30 am a group of teenagers was roaring through the halls and woke me up. I called the front desk and the staff member apologized and said he would handle it. The noises subsided, but they came back again.
About 3:30, I was awakened by screaming and fighting in the room adjoining mine. It went on and on. I called the front desk, and once again, the staff member apologized. The noise quieted down, but started again an hour later. I did not get much sleep.
When I went down for breakfast, there was a crowd of people swarming around the buffet tables. The tables were not laid out in a logistical pattern that made any sense to me. I had to interrupt two staff members engrossed in conversation to ask where the plates were. They were in the middle of a table between two steam trays. Everyone was milling around because they couldn't find things. The food was average. Two coffee carafes were empty.
I went upstairs, got my things, and got out of there. Never again.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the truck stop - ask for one on the other side. Definitely ask for a room on t...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of our Management and staff, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when staying with us. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing when a guest will cause problems and make it unbearable for other guests.
We would like to invite you back at a discounted rate if you are traveling back into the Baltimore area. Please call me when making your reservation. Thank you.
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for a summer trip for our very first time in Baltimore and let me just say WOW! The free breakfast is a full buffet in their restuarant, they have a night club (the sounds do NOT disturb) and a dinner theater, all on site!! The indoor pool was fantastic, the hot tub was relaxing and the free shuttle to the inner harbor saved us SO much money in taxi fair that we thought we would have to spend. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and so comfortable. We were so happy and will definitly be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley S
We appreciate your positive comments and hope to see you back with us soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

It was a very clean hotel, the staff was very nice and it had all the amenities. However some of the basics where not up to par. The mattresses were bad! We had 2 queens and on one of them I laid on the edge and rolled to the center of the mattress. When I told the staff the result was not any better. The Chair had a similar problem I sat on it in and sank into it. They need to replace there furniture. And the room was too small, we had asked for a crib for our son and it blocked the way to the desk. There is no way 4 people and luggage could stay in the 2 queen room comfortably.
There were no free electrical outlets to plug anything in. The outlet on the desk had the fridge plugged into it. And the TV remote worked only after pressing the button many many times in different angles.
Breakfast was decent, I liked the blue berry pancakes My wife didn’t like the eggs they were not that tasty. The pool was nice and clean and there was a life guard. Although it is probably the small hot tub I have ever seen. I couldn’t even dip my head in and the jets we so weak they might as well not be their.

The elevators were fast.

Room Tip: Maybe try the king not the 2 queens
1 Thank Jakeb16
Thank you for your review. We just wanted to make you aware of the fact that we are now in the process of replacing all of the mattresses in the hotel. We have also ordered new furniture and will be updating the rooms one floor at a time.
Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus when traveling into the Baltimore area!