“Shame on this hotel”

Ranked #39 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Basel, Switzerland
“Shame on this hotel”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First, location not so good because if you want to join the city, get ready 8 US dollars (for a return trip) in order to use the tunnel so not convenient at all. And just forget the shuttle, this shuttle is a joke unfortunately and a big waste of time. One good point is the staff at reception, they are all in good mood,smiling and always here to help you so it is a small compensation. Internet in rooms is working fine. Rooms are cleaned in a lazy way because we spent 6 nights and a cockroach killed on the A/C system during the 1st day was never removed, such a pity ;-(. The fitness center is from the middle age and the tiny swimming pool was closed during all our stay. Breakfast is really basic and only staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: take a room at the last floor in order to enjoy the view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MOUSS190273
Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I will share this with our Executive Housekeeper to avoid this problem in the future. Our shuttle service is a free service to our guests and provided on a first-come, first serve basis. We do our best to accommodate as many guests as possible.
The pool did have to be shut down for safety reasons. A previous guest had damaged a part at the bottom of the pool which required closing the pool for repairs. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and hope you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nashville, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I really don't think the hotel is of the quality it should be to be a best western plus. The front desk staff was not knowledgeable, the rooms were very average, and the night club near the lobby didn't exactly bring in the best crowd. If the other hotels in the area are full I would stay here but if it's not a busy weekend keep looking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I'm sorry our hotel did not meet your standards. We have worked hard to become a Best Western Plus and have met some very strict guidelines to do so. The hotel is in constant "renovation" mode and there is always a new project in the works. Please visit again and I'm sure you will see many improvements. Thank you for your review.
Chicago
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed 5 nights. The room was spacious, grounds beautiful,staff at front desk helpful. Do not plan to use shuttle service unless you are going to John Hopkins. The other two pick up and drop off points are Pier 5 in inner Harbor and the convention center. We scheduled a 4:30 pick up at the convention center. There is no place to sit down and it was a 90 degree day. 4:30 came and no bus. Waited till 4:45 and called hotel. Was told bus on the way. 5:00 no bus. Called again, told would be there in minutes. 5:15 gave up and took a cab. It took 15 minutes to get to hotel. One day we had a do not disturb sign on door till 10:00 A.M. When we returned to room at 5:30 P.M. no one had touched the room. No clean towels, wastebaskets full, etc. Do not rely on shuttle. Driving in Baltimore is easy and there are many places to park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Traffic situations can sometimes make it very difficult to meet the needs of our guests and for that, we are truly sorry. I hope you were able to report the Housekeeping issues with the Front Desk agent at check-out. We would then be able to investigate as to why you did not receive service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.
Clinton, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A group of family members and friends stayed at this hotel for a wedding reception held at another venue. The rooms have very worn and outdated furniture,, We saw a huge wood cockroach that was killed and taken to the staff at the Check-In counter and they all seemed so surprised that the hotel has bugs. Also, the grass had not been cut around the hotel. The landscaping was very nice. The free breakfast is exactly free and you get what you paid for, powdered scrambled eggs, fruits that are not fresh and with no taste, hash (I did not think they still make this; it is considered a poor man's dish) and most importantly, please do not have an unfortunate accident in the hotel during your stay like my sister You will not be offered first-aid, an accident report form even if you request one. This has been the worse hotel that I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Mary G
We would like to apologize for the problems you incurred while visiting our hotel. We are in the process of renovating all of the rooms, one floor at a time, with new furniture. Also, we are under contract with a local pest control company and are the entire property is treated on a regular basis, so our Front Desk agents were being sincere when they were surprised to see a bug.
The scrambled eggs in the breakfast are liquid eggs, which are used by most restaurants. I'm sorry the eggs and the fruit were unsatisfactory. All reports are the property of the hotel and we are not permitted to give copies to the guests. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Travellers are raving about these Baltimore hotels

Elkins, West Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I made my initial reservation several months ago through the internet. My intention was to reserve under the Park & Cruise Package, but I unknowingly changed to the AAA rate when I completed my reservation. Unfortunately, I did not realize my mistake until I checked in. The person who checked me in is the one who identified the booking error, and she gave me a card for the shuttle service. I was advised that I could make arrangements for shuttle transport in the morning by calling that company. After driving for five hours and arriving at 11pm, I did not think through all of the logistics of this plan. After discussing this with the person I was travelling with, we realized that we did not have the option for long-term parking at the hotel, and we would likely have to drive and pay for parking at the port. After considering the available scenarios, I went back to the desk to explore our options.

I was met by Justin who works night shift. I opened by saying, "I made a mistake and I need to figure out how to correct the problem." Justin immediately adjusted the reservation in the computer system, advised me what to do in the morning to ensure shuttle transport, and provided a long-term parking pass. Justin's ability to immediately correct the problem and provide the solution that I was hoping for was a great example of empowering the staff to do what is right for the customer. He remained courteous, positive, and encouraging through what could have been a stressful start to a vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Justin is a valuable employee and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and letting us know how he provided you with excellent customer service. Thank you.
Everson, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed there for a sleep , cruise package. We booked online directly under the cruise package. We had a group of three rooms. When we arrived they told us that we did not book correctly to get the cruise package, and of course the cost would be additional. How convenient of them. Once you are there what are you going to do. They basically say "got you. The front desk manager even told us, " the website is confusing" no it isn't confusing. I know what I booked. I am a seasoned traveler and know what the website said, however the manager was horribly rude. I have stayed at other hotels in baltimore for a cruise package and the cost I ended up paying was over $60. more then I had paid in the past. The pool had scum on the top and the hotel in general was not clean and inviting. I must say that the travel company they use for the cruise transportation is excellent. They are fast/ efficient and Friendly I believe the name of them is KD Elliet. I also sent an email directly to the hotel when I returned from my trip expressing my dissatisfaction. and my email was answered by someone listed as the executive assistant. The General manager doesn't even care enough to address the issues. I would not stay here again or recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank junder62
I apologize for the problems with your reservation. The reservation system shows a "flexible rate" which is a discount off of the regular room rate and the "Park N' Cruise" package is in the very next column. This has caused confusion for quite a few of our guests and as a result, we have now removed the package from our on-line reservation system.
Our General Manager reads every comment and then has his Assistant respond. He cares about our guests and takes your concerns very seriously.
We hope you will visit us again when traveling in the Baltimore area.
elkton, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2014

this place could be very nice if they would fix up the rooms and customer service i was in a room with a handicapped shower when used it flooded the bathroom a pice of pvc pipe was put into the floor to divert the water into the so called drain i what a joke

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I'm sorry for the problem you incurred with the shower. The original design has been a problem and we are in the process of remodeling all of the roll-in showers. We hope you will stay with us again to personally see the improvements. Thank you for your review.