“What great food”

Ranked #115 of 2,016 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Canton
Annapolis, Maryland
“What great food”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This was the first visit to Jacks and will not be the last! What a great place with such a different take on food. The chocolate Mac and cheese was wonderful and the crab cake delicious.. But the red velvet cake bater with cookie dough and butter cookies to dip it with was absolutely my favorite. Definitely a return trip in the near future!

2 Thank SP_CC2014

Greencastle, Pennsylvania
“Birthday Dinner for Wife...Phew!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Looking for something a little different and fun for my wife's birthday I took a chance on Jacks Bistro....Homerun! She is still talking about how good the food and cocktails were. The restaraunt is small and the tables are close. It can be a little noisy but added to the fun. Things quieted down when food was served. I imagine everyone was as impressed as we were and spent their energy enjoying their meal. The waitress said she recognized many of the patrons so I guess there are a lot of repeat customers.The service was spot on....not intrusive but always there when needed. They make their own tonic and infuse their drinks with handpicked herbs. Delicious! My wife is a very good cook so it takes something other than the ordinary to get my attention. It did that. The food tasted so real and the flavors kept subtly changing that it was hard to figure out how they accomplished that. Still haven't although my wife read up on their technique. Anyway, we will be back when we get the chance. I scored some hard earned points with Jacks...Thanks!

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Eagleray55
Laurel
“Great drinks”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We came here for Restaurant Week and it was off to a bad start when the hostess said she didn't have a table for us, even though we made a reservation 1-2 days beforehand. She was able to seat us after about 20min, in the middle of the bustling, tiny restaurant. Our waitress, on the other hand, was phenomenal. We had awesome appetizers (chocolate mac and cheese, Guinness cuts of steak with bacon jalapeno grits), rather mediocre entrees (steak frites, which were way too heavy on the truffle oil, and duck breast, which felt a little overly fatty and undercooked), and a unique finish (fried s'mores and decadent cheesecake). The real star of the show was the drinks. I ordered the 9 Inch Nail and it is honestly one of the best-mixed drinks I have had anywhere. Highly recommended for drinks, appetizers, and desserts, but don't expect too much from their entrees. Or their hostesses.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Steven Q
Baltimore, Maryland
“Absolutely awesome”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

wow, what a great meal. I loved everything about this place, The space is cozy and casual. Our server was wonderful-she went the extra mile to explain the menu and was extremely attentive without hovering. Just perfect service. And then there was the food. The menu is extremely varied and interesting. I had the mussels and my wife had the smoked tomato appetizer-both were absolutely wonderful. We both had the Malaysian Laksa which was terrific as well, and the desserts (especially the fried smores) sealed the deal, This was a wonderful meal and we will definitely be back. The only downsides were parking (apparently there was a lot going on in the area tonight making parking more difficult than usual) and they do not take reservations for small parties. Those are minor concerns-this is one of the best, most creative restaurants in Baltimore and we can't wait to try it again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jeffrey M
Carmel, Indiana
“Thank you Chef.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I like to find good food when I travel. Something different. Something to challenge me a bit. Jack’s did all that. Get there early to find a seat at the bar because by 6pm it was packed… on a Wednesday! The first thing they get right is half priced wine bottles before 6pm. Can I take the unused portion home? Of course we’ll cork it for you! A good deal on wine became a steal at half price. The same offer extended to other drinks and they had some crazy concoctions available from the talented mixoligist.
My appetizer of muscles, lemon grass, jalapenos, fish sauce and shallots was a spicy contrast in flavors. I’ve never had anything quite like it and I enjoyed it immensely. The main course was Malaysian Laksa which include shrimp, chicken, noodles, boiled egg and cilantro in a wonderfully savory sauce. Quite filling and delightfully intriguing taste combinations. I kept trying the broth to understand its complexity because it was good enough to stand on its own. A large portion and I could not finish it all.
Finally, I have this completely arbitrary classification for fine dining and that is if they carry Madeira. Many place carry port as an after drink but that does not quite tickle my fancy as a nice Madeira. Of course it was on the menu and an already fine experience just transcended into a higher plane.
Sure it’s a neighborhood bar with a restaurant but the whole experience is everything I look for in a culinary adventure. At only $58 for my bottle of wine, appetizer and main course I would have paid twice that. Thank you Chef for introducing me to new flavors and dishes. I will be back.

• Visited May 2014