“Meat Hangover”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 2,219 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$48 - US$48
Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market Pl.
Description: Fogo de ChaoR (fo-go dee shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, FogoR began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 16 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet salad bar, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Go on an empty stomach. We went for lunch, which I hear is the same as dinner, only $20 cheaper. Staff was fantastic- and the work they do is like a dance. There is so much going on, between the enormous salad bar and the meat servers. It's a wonder they don't force them to take ballet classes. Food was great- most of the meat is medium rare, which is A Okay in my book. The salad bar is fresh, but who is concentrating on that when there is five different types of steak being served? Major meat hangover when you are done. But I'd have been disappointed if I hadn't had one.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

What can I say, this is one of my favorite restaurants, for the reasons outlined by many others. I come here quite often, so just want to share some tips for those concerned with the price/getting their money's worth and having a great experience:

- Eat the better cuts if you want to get your money's worth. Filet, Ribeye, Lamb Chops, House special sirloin (picanha) etc. If you were to order the combination of these cuts in any other steakhouse you would spend well over $50! Add in a salad and sides (which are usually sold separately in nice steakhouses), and you would break the bank.

- If you like a particular cut, zero in on that one and ask for it continuously, they won't mind. If you like the filet, ask for it again and again! My personal favorite is the bottom sirloin (fraldinha), due to the marbling and juiciness, and I have quite a bit of it when I am there.

- Don't like the temperature of the initial cuts, tell them! Don't wait until you leave to realize you didn't get what you want. I've been there with friends who like beef as rare as possible, and they got their way. If it's well done set it aside and don't eat it, ask for rare and the gauchos will get the message.

- Just a comment on the saltiness of the meat which some people wrote about, that is due to the way Brazilians eat meat. In general the meat is saltier in Brazil than here, especially if you receive the first cut when it comes out of the kitchen. The rock salt is thrown very liberally on the meat before and sometimes while it is roasting on the flame, so to avoid the saltier pieces, either ask that they bring you something less salty (for individual steaks like filet and ribeye), or dont get the first slice of the big cuts (sirloin cuts).

- Eating the salad bar judiciously can actually work in your favor. Pick items that are not heavy to offset the meat (fresh tomatoes are a favorite of mine), almost as palate cleansers. Don't load up of course...

- Try something different (Brazilian), since you don't get these items in any other restaurant. Guarana is a tasty Brazilian soda, and the Brazilian alcoholic drink of choice is the caipirinha (lime based, and other fruit options I believe). For dessert, the papaya cream and brazilian flan (pudim) are quite tasty and authentic. The strawberry cream and pineapple desserts are also very good.

- Yes, with drinks and dessert you are looking at $70 plus per person (dinner), but if you go in your birthday or other celebration they typically give you the dessert for free. If this still sounds like too much, go for lunch (weekday). You will save almost $20, for the exact same meal!

Hope this is helpful and hope you enjoy the experience! I'm going there this weekend and am counting down the days...

5  Thank Gmartin84
Reviewed 20 July 2014

If you have never had the Fogo experience, you are missing a treat! Our reservations were easily confirmed, allowing us to bypass the line. The salad bar had a wide selection, and remained stocked at all times.

Now, make sure you remain conscious of the food card they give you. Once you turn it to green, they will come non-stop with a variety of meats until you flip the card back to red. Don't worry, stay as long as you want, and eat what you want. Well worth the damage (about $55 per person).

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was our first dining experience ever at Fogo de Chao so we really didn't know what to expect. It far exceeded our expectations! We went for lunch on a Friday and the servers said that it was a slow afternoon, however it quickly filled up and was a very lively place. You surely dont have to worry about leaving hungry! Food was excellent and there was an abundance of it. Dessert that we chose was a grilled caramalized pineapple with vanilla ice cream!! Delish!
Can't wait to go back, this time for dinner!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I sat at the bar and had the charcuterie board and the shrimp cocktail. The best huge shrimp and I always ask for a side of horseradish - they have great really strong horseradish just like I like it. The Mexican Martini's are my favorite drink in Maryland. LOVE LOVE LOVE this place