“Great deal, interesting quirky hotel.”

Biltmore Suites Hotel
Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Hotel is in a great location--immediate neighborhood is full of interesting small restaurants, and a free downtown circulator bus and the light rail is nearby. We were told to park up the street at the hospital parking lot ($3 a day). Hotel is 130 years old, and is quirky and full of character, and we found our room and bathroom clean and functional. The place is a little run-down and there is worn carpeting and peeling paint in various places. Also--there's no elevator, and you may have to carry your own bags up two long flights of stairs. Their air conditioning worked great on an extremely hot day where many other places in town couldn't keep up with the heat, and our suite (2 rooms) was big and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tpc2001

Reviewed 25 May 2012

This hotel is right out of a horror movie, peeling paint, old dusty dirty and a cat running around
No elevator, nasty dirty rugs and the bathroom OMG!!! I tried to forget about it and move on but guess what, both my husband and I are full of bed bug bites. Have called twice but no satisfaction. Worse trip ever!

Room Tip: Don't stsy here!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Wanda H
Reviewed 24 May 2012

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this isn't the one. If you are looking for a small old European style hotel then you've found it. I will be honest the floors and uneven, the wallpaper is falling off and you may have to climb 38 stair steps (I counted) to your room but if you can deal with all that it's worth it. You can't beat the price and it's located next to a few small adorable cafes and within easy (safe) walking distance to the free circulator bus. So if you want a cheap old hotel to lay your head you've found it!

Room Tip: ask for a suite and a lower level!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Daisha O
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I would actually rate this hotel as "fair' or "acceptable". If you're looking for a low cost stay in a convenient location in the city of Baltimore, and your willing to overlook the fact the hotel has probably seen better days, as I was, then you'll be fine here for a night or so.

Pros:
reasonable price
good location
convenient parking ($3)
clean beds and bathrooms
pleasant, helpful staff

Cons:
old property (some would say "run down")
lots of stairs/ no elevator
potential to be loud
not for children

The Biltmore is over a hundred years old and the floors and walls are no longer square. There is no elevator. The lobby is a flight up from the street and the rooms start above that. There are two flights of stairs for each floor, so the lowest room would be two flights up from the lobby, and the fourth floor, where I stayed with my teenage daughters, requires ascending (and descending) eight flights of stairs.

Our room had two queen beds with a small sitting room and bathroom off of that. The beds and the bathroom were clean, which is the most important thing to me, while the rugs, furniture, curtains and such were somewhat shabby. There was a water stain on the bathroom ceiling, and there was also some peeling wallpaper and plaster in the bedroom which is one of the reasons I would not recommend this hotel for young children or toddlers. There was a cable outlet hanging from the wall by its wires down low as well, and the windows opened up with no kind of screens or safety devices to keeps little ones from falling out - so adults or older children only.

Parking is located about a block away in a hospital garage and costs $3 with validation from the hotel. It is free on weekends if it is unattended. Although we worried about the possibility of late-night ambulances waking us up, that didn't happen. We could hear our neighbors talking in adjacent rooms, but everyone was quiet at night.

The staff was friendly, and although they were willing to gives us directions multiple times, they didn't really include street names so bring your GPS.

Some would say this hotel has "Old World Charm", others would call it "run down". We were fine for the one night we needed to stay in Baltimore while visiting colleges, and it met my budget. If this description doesn't sound fine to you though, it probably won't be.

Room Tip: Ask for the lowest floor possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank dmbt
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was a bit nervous based on some of the other reviews, but I fell in love with this place. The location was perfect for my trips to the Walters Art Museum and the free "Charm City Circulator" bus makes it very convenient to anywhere in the city. I felt perfectly safe in the neighborhood and left my car 2 blocks away at the Maryland General Hospital ($9 total parking cost for a 3-day stay). The Mount Vernon neighborhood is filled with lovely old buildings and I felt quite safe as a woman walking alone.

My room (211) was a delightful surprise. Yes, it was up 41 steps, but it had an enormous sitting room as well as a large bedroom. The furniture was a wonderfully eclectic mix of antiques from all periods and the bed was quite comfortable. Yes, it could use a face lift, but it was very clean and comfortable. The microwave, coffee maker and mini-refrigerator all worked perfectly.

There were plenty of drawers and closet space to store a month's worth of stuff. There were also plenty of lights and electrical outlets.

I liked the decor and the artwork. My favorite was the antique sewing machine in the corner. I loved the view of the church spire out the sitting room window. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the silk flowers, which looked a bit tired and dusty.

The woman at the front desk was helpful and friendly.

The bathroom was in need of work. There had been water damage on the ceiling which was warped and discolored and the handle on the tub was loose. However, it was clean and how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?

Overall, I would recommend this place highly to anyone who is willing to accept some minor imperfections in exchange for a comfortable and memorable experience.

Room Tip: There are 22 steps to the 1st floor and another 19 to the second (I didn't go higher). I recomm...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Susan1958
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I am from the area and that was the worse experience of my life. It looked like the Adams Family house, the ceiling was peeling, mold around the shower and an actual cat walking around. I thought it would be shabby chic but i honestly felt as though norman bates was going to stab me in the shower. Do not I repeat don not stay there even though the price is alluring I couldnt do it. I actually left the hotel and got a refund

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lmlee8901
Reviewed 28 November 2011

GREAT LOCATION...close to both free bus and lite rail.room had everything needed micro fridge and 1 burner. mt vernon area which is old and very historic.could use a MAJOR update but served the purpose. shower and sleep. not the ritz but not the ritz prices either.would stay again.

Room Tip: no elevator so if there are walking problems be sure to tell them before check in,they did offer to...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Biltmore Suites Hotel. We thank you for your comments and recommendations. In addition to the refrigerator, we have recently added a microwave oven to all our rooms for our guests' convenience. We thank you for staying with us at the Biltmore Suites Hotel.