“Affordable and comfortable”

Biltmore Suites Hotel
Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
“Affordable and comfortable”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Not sure why this hotel consistently get low stars on several websites. It's a great buy. Located in the center of Mt. Vernon you are a block from the light rail and there are tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance. This is a
historic building so the modern luxuries that the hilton may provide are not available but personally, I love the charm.
The main entrance opens to a winding, wooden staircase that is original to the building. Each room comes with a mini fridge, a microwave and has an overall 'homey' feel. Wifi is provided as is cable. The furnishings are fitting, wooden dressers and end tables with a bed to fit the decor. I love the high ceilings and tall windows. Parking is about a block from the hotel and with validation from the hotel is only $3 a day! Anyone use to Baltimore knows that this is a steal! My room cost me, after taxes and fees, about $80 a night. Walking to the harbor is about 30minutes but taking the light rail makes it about a 5 minute ride. Highly recommend this hotel. Save a few bucks and enjoy more of the city.
The front desk people were nice as well and non intrusive.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amas88
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We really appreciate it. We are trying to maintain the Victorian look while at the same time provide modern amenities in the room such as a fridge, microwave oven and coffee maker. Our WiFi is free and we are changing our older TVs to LED TVs this year. We believe our hotel is the best value in Baltimore and we appreciate your thoughts on our hotel. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in February while exploring Baltimore for a couple days during a roadtrip. To be honest I was a little nervous about booking because from the information online I couldn't really tell what kind of atmosphere this place was going to have. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not perfect and if you are the kind of person who wants something ultra-modern or really upscale this isn't going to be the place for you.

The building is beautiful and old, and it seems to be in a historic area that was convenient to downtown/the harbor area. The neighborhood had some boarded up businesses and buildings in the immediate vicinity (what city doesn't?), but there's also a lot of cafes, restaurants, bars, and nice looking apartments within the blocks surrounding the hotel. I felt comfortable and safe walking around the area. Parking is kind of an ordeal since the city streets are basically always lined with cars already. There is a parking garage nearby for a hospital which the hotel will validate parking for so that it's just a few dollars a night. The issue however was with the garage itself, the ticket machine was just letting people in and not dispensing tickets, which you need to have in order for the the hotel to validate. The man at the hotel front desk was super helpful though, he said this has happened before and he basically stamped an index card and we gave that to the parking attended the next morning, it worked out fine.

The inside of the hotel is gorgeous. If you like historic architecture, art and design then you will like it here. It's a welcome change of pace from the cookie cutter environments you get at chain hotels. Nothing about this place comes off as generic or insincere. There's wood molding, old wallpaper and vintage furniture in the entrance area and lobby, and there are lots of pamphlets and menus for local eateries and attractions. There didn't seem to be an elevator but the giant staircase was cool and walking a few flights wasn't bad. The room was a decent size and also fit the rest of the hotel's antique feel. The bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom and shower were average, there were clean towels and toiletries waiting for us. Giant windows gave us an interesting and quaint view of a small courtyard below. The TV had basic cable and it worked fine. There was a sink, small counter, microwave and mini-fridge in the room as well as a dresser and some nice old lamps and chairs.

There are definitely some minor cosmetic issues though. The plaster walls are cracked and peeling in many places. There was a piece of a handle missing from the dresser. Part of the bed's canopy frame was missing. The drop tiles in the bathroom were a little stained or broken. Some of the furniture is plastic or doesn't really match and this gives it almost a thrift store feel, but not really in a bad way. These are small things though, and they definitely wouldn't or at least shouldn't ruin anyone's stay. In spite of all of the imperfections and questionable design choices you can tell that the people who run this place are trying and actually care. I'm sure taking care of a building this old isn't easy or cheap so they deserve credit for that too.

Overall, I would recommend a stay here. It's definitely different but in a charming way. Try something new and don't stay at a corporate hotel if you have that choice. The price is affordable which is absolutely a positive. It's old and kind of tacky at times but it is comfortable and it has character which is increasingly rare in hotels today. Baltimore is a fun city and I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Joe Q
Thank you for your insightful comments on our hotel. We are aware of some of the issues you described and are taking steps to correct those issues. While we try to maintain the look and feel of the Victorian age, sometimes we miss. We will strive harder to make our hotel as unique and comfortable as we can make and it would be our greatest pleasure to have you as our guest again.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Recently had the pleasure of staying here last weekend. Its a historic building with dated decor but it does bring you back to old Victorian like days mixed with your grandmas previous belongings. I loved the actual architecture and details of the building. For it being so old, it was probably one of the cleanest rooms I ever stayed in...and I have stayed at every major hotel chain there is. Its a great location in the city. We parked our car, checked in and walked to dinner and drinks without an issue. Close to many restaurants and bars walking and driving wise. The guy behind the counter was very courteous and helpful. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that's in town to enjoy the nightlife and looking for a great bargain on a hotel room. I know they will be my first choice when I stay in Baltimore again.

• Stayed February 2014
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our Victorian hotel. We try to maintain a certain feeling the of Victorian age by the type of furniture and colors we choose. The Mt Vernon district of Baltimore offers a very different side of the city and we thank you for not only appreciating our hotel but also our neighborhood. It will be great to have you as our guest again.
USA
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here with my spouse after a night on the town. The price was right and it turned out to be a very interesting experience to say the least. It's a very old Baltimore hotel that is in need of some upgrades. It wasn't particularly dirty just old and fairly worn. Our room was quite large with very old furniture. It has a feel of staying at your grandmothers house that has not been updated in 50 years. The walls are parper thin and you can hear everything that is going on in the other rooms. I mean everything :-). The couple in the room next to ours was having a lot of fun after returning from their night out on the town. It was as clear as if there were in the same room. From soft whispers, to loud moans it was all chrystal clear. Once they quieted down we had some fun and it was amusing to then hear them laugh as they listened to us. As I indicated it was a very interesting experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fun_Times_For_All
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on our hotel. We are continually striving to improve our hotel and our guests experiences and we will continue doing that. I hope that you will visit our hotel the next time you visit Baltimore.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I am a romantic, and live in a 120 year old Victorian house myself, so I know the challenges of trying to maintain an old historic property. This multi-story brick building dates from about 1880. On the positive side I liked the location - so close to the restaurant and nightlife scene of Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood; the staff was friendly and helpful, and garage parking was available (in my case absolutely FREE) just a half block away. This place would appeal to romantics like me because it's like staying in a old crumbling hotel on the Left Bank of Paris. My view, from the fourth floor - NO WORKING ELEVATOR however - was charming: the rooftops and the top of the Washington column and statue.

The bed was of good quality and had a fine mattress on it.. There were plenty of good quality towels in the bathroom.

The place does have charm and character. Architecturally it is lovely.

Okay, now the bad news: the place is in a state of dilapidation. Cracked plaster, peeling wallpaper, faded worn carpets, dust, old discolored bedspreads. My room seemed to be furnished with thrift shop finds - there was a delightful ceramic figurine on the non-working fireplace mantel. The shower head never worked properly during my three day stay.

If you want a spotlessly clean, modern, comfortable and attractively furnished place, you will probably not be happy here.

As I said before, I'm a romantic and I could overlook certain shortcomings because I like enchanting Victorian surroundings. I will return. I understand many will not agree with me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank buddmar
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your detailed review and we are already making plans to address the issues you raised. We take each review seriously and do try to make our hotel retain its historical feeling. We do hope that you come back again to our hotel and will find your suggestions implemented in our rooms.
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My partner and I traveled to Maryland to get married and found this hotel while searching for a place to stay. It is a very old former boarding house turned college dorm remodeled into a hotel. The building is in need of repair with peeling wallpaper and cracked plaster. The room we selected was on the first floor (which is on the second floor as the ground floor is the first floor.) We knew there was no elevator but my partner wanted to stay here anyway. (He has Parkinson's disease and sometimes has trouble with stairs.) Upon check in the clerk, who was very nice, informed us that we could change rooms the following morning as soon as the first floor room was vacated. I let her know that we would be more than happy to pay a up charge, but she said no. We had chosen a Queen size regular room. The next morning they moved us to the Baltimore Suite. OMG Very large room with a sitting room that had two couches, a old secretary, writing table and a two person regular table with china and silver ware. The view was of an old Presbyterian church with the tallest steeple that I have ever seen.
The bed was a Queen size rice bed. It was OK. Our pillows were fine. TV was on the old side, but it worked fine. The bathroom was small, but OK. Had a shower only. Some reviewers mentioned loose tile. Our shower had loose tile in it. It appeared to be clean. The sheets and spread seemed OK to me. I had no issues with them.
The staff was outstanding!! Like another reviewer mentioned, I don't know their names, but they were all great. We were there for six nights. I would go out and talk with them at all hours. The were always friendly. Plus, when I would need a cab, they would call one for me. They gave good suggestions as to where to eat and for things to do. I needed to go to a store one morning and one of them walked with me on his way home. I could not have asked for a better staff.
I give it a average rating due to the lack of a elevator. (They actually have a elevator, but it is very old and they are afraid to let the public use it.) The floors squeak-character vs annoying (you choose) and a "old building" odor.
Great location, near everything in the cultural heart of the city.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emmitt62
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our hotel such detailed comments. We are glad that we were able to upgrade you to our Biltmore Suite, which has the Queen Rice Poster bed. As for the tile issue, we are fully aware of this and have started taking steps to fix and/or replace these. I also want to thank for your comments on our staff. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you are visiting Baltimore.
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night. This place is less than desirable. For starters, the carpets and stairs are run down. Know from the start that there is not an elevator and their breakfast consists of granola bars, honeybuns, and instant oatmeal - terrible!

We stayed in a queen size room. There was an open can left in the fridge, the bed sheets may or may not have been clean. When I pulled back the sheets, there was hair in there. The bathroom was not clean either - there was hair on the toliet seat. The windows had these cheesy curtains on them and the top holder was bent in. The TV was 13". The wifi had good signal, the bed was not comfortable at all. Because of the lack of cleanliness, I wore flip flops throughout the suite. The bathroom had tile coming away from the tub, the ceiling tiles were broken and had black in them, and the water pressure was not good.

We will not be coming back to this establishment. It could be nice - but it would take A LOT of fixing up!

Room Tip: Unsure - we smelled smoke by the door .