“They didn't give us what they promised!”

Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were promised, told and offered a room on the 8th floor harbor view. I made four phone calls including when I made reservations five weeks out--each time telling me if I arrived to check in at 4 pm that room would be available and given us. I called two weeks before right up to two days before always told 8th floor harbor view was available for us. Killed myself driving nine hours to get here by 4 pm. Checked in and now I'm sitting here on the 2nd floor wide awake in middle of night listening to drunks down an alley and staring at broken windows of a run down building just a few feet away!! At 4 pm when I asked the desk clerk...I was told that 8th floor room was still available but they were saving it for someone else!!! Someone else not yet there!!! That is just wrong!!! Despite anything else right or wrong about this hotel I'll never share anything else because this is just lowdown wrong to treat people this way.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Meg L
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Meg,

Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at Brookshire Suites. I am sorry for whatever communications and failures must have happened on our end.

We do our best to try an accommodate all requests. I'll do some research and find out exactly where the error exists and make sure we correct it.

I will be in touch with you very soon.

Jason

There are newer reviews for Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I really would have given them a 4.5 but can't do half stars. It was very clean. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The prices are fair. Breakfast was okay. The little bar was a cute plus. The only complaint I have is that the valet parking is pretty expensive. Even with that, this is my official place to stay from now on in Baltimore.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Angelina S,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Brookshire Suites.

I do appreciate your comments and we are always seeking to improve our services and offerings. If there was something specific you were looking for on the breakfast buffet, lease let me know.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. We really make every attempt to ensure our guests feel at home.

I am sorry that you felt valet parking was expensive. We do frequently survey other hotels to see what prices they charge and we do keep our rates as competitive as possible.

Thanks again for staying with us. I hope to see you again on a future visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel is in a very good location for walking and baseball. The room was of very large size, more than your average hotel room. Staff were helpful, fun, and courteous. Breakfast was basic. If you have allergies and/or asthma be warned that the room is heavily scented. Opening the windows for a while helps. The room I booked highlighted: "...Gaze out over the activity of Lombard Street and the Inner Harbor from the large bay windows of your own private Corner Suite'" where in fact I looked directly into a parking garage. I was only there one night so it wasn't worth a fuss. However, when I asked as to why it was referred to as a harbor view I was adamantly told it is an and/or city view. Upon looking back at the room description, that is not the case. I think I know what happened, though. A couple struck up a conversation at breakfast and told me about how they did not like their back room so they were transferred to an upper level suite that looks out at the water. Maybe they got the room I booked. Perhaps letting people book one type of room and them giving them another is not the best business practice. You might want to call to confirm that what us described is what you will receive.

Room Tip: Call for clarification rather than relying on the internet description.
4  Thank Leisure G
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Leisure G,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I do appreciate your feedback.

I apologize for the confusion regarding the description of the "corner suite". The hotel has two "stacks" of rooms that are on the 'corner' of the hotel, and both stacks overlook Lombard Street (front of the hotel). One stack is at the corner of Lombard & Calvert Streets and has a partial view of the harbor area and faces East. The other "stack" is on the opposite corner faces Lombard Street and West, a city view.

I did review our website and adjusted the description of the corner suite to make it clearer that guest could get a harbor view OR a city view. I agree that the previous description was somewhat confusing.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. We do our best to help everyone have an enjoyable visit while at Brookshire Suites.

Thank you again for staying with us. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was a new experience for us to stay in a city hotel with valet parking. Generally we had a good experience. The valets were very nice and helpful, offering water as we waited for our car. Sometimes the wait was a little too long. The valet price was also high, as was the room price. We had a room with a king size bed and a fold out couch. We had a special situation with a moderately disabled person. We have never needed or requested a "handicapped accessible" room in any hotel and didn't think we needed one here. However, the bed was much too high to transfer into easily, with little furniture nearby to use as support. The bathroom was very small and the counter sink higher than average, making it very difficult to use. The floor tile made it very slippery when wet. In addition, the space between the toilet and bathtub made it difficult to reach the water controls without stepping into the tub. The last issue we had was with the TV. The remote would only respond intermittently. We called for service, thinking it might be a battery. It wasn't. The remote would usually not respond from the bed. No resolution could be found. Otherwise the room was very nice, clean and pleasant. It included a fridge and microwave and WiFi, which I would expect for a hotel with these rates. The breakfast was nothing fancy, but a very nice inclusion with the room charge. We probably wouldn't use a hotel of this sort again because of parking issues of moving around the city, but were overall satisfied with the hotel service, if not the price.

2  Thank OtakonVisitor

OtakonVisitor,

Thank you for your comments. I also want to thank you for choosing Brookshire Suites over the past many years that you've been visiting Otakon. We do appreciate your business.

I know we had a discussion regarding our room rates while you were here. As you know, Otakon convention is one of the busiest weekends in Baltimore and rooms can not be found for miles of downtown. As we discussed, Brookshire Suites sets our rates according to supply and demand. On a daily basis we "shop" our competitors to see where they are priced and we adjust our rates accordingly. Our rates are always competitive with other hotels in the market. This is the same for valet parking as well. Most people don't know that Baltimore City imposes a 20% parking tax, so obviously a large chunk of what you pay goes directly to the city and not the hotel or the valet operator.

I hope you choose Brookshire Suites for Otakon accommodations in 2015, the last year in Baltimore.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Never have I ever been so fustrated and angry with a so- called business. First, I stayed at this hotel for otakon and they had claimed to have sent all their occupants that they would be charging their occupants the day before check in. I never received an email and then get told if I do not pay now I will lose the room.I didn't cancel the room so why would this hotel think I would WISH to be charged and NOT stay in the room. I had visited the hotel a month before check in to see my room, and I had asked if I could pay in cash which they said I could. So why did they decide that now cash wasn't allowed and everything had to be in credit. I was able to get the room finally that thursday and after they told me about ONE tax I had asked the general manager, and three other receptionists what the total price would be. I was told $892. So why on the day of check out,
the price is changed to 1,031.25 and NOW I owe the hotel 139.25. Best believe I will NEVER!! Be staying at this hotel again. As an establishment, if a customer asked for the grand total of a room, you should tell them what they asked. You LIED to a customer about a price and had the gull to charge me more. If people see this review please note this hotel is a scam and a full of rude, and demeaning employees who don't know a thing about customer service. Also, the corner suite I had requested,I never received. I will NEVER stay here again. Even high class hotels like the Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc. Tell you upfront the total and DON'T lie or refuse to tell you the price of a room.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank htkdspissedoffotaku

htkdspissedoffotaku,

I'm sorry that there must have been mis-communications regarding your Otakon reservation. Our policy is, and remains, that all guests who check into the hotel must present a credit card. This is the way guests guarantee their reservation. Credit cards are "authorized" the day prior to arrival about 4pm, as this is the latest guest can cancel their standard reservation. Guests are always welcome to pay by cash if they'd like, however, they must still present a valid credit card.

In your particular case, the rate changed because the number of occupants changed. When you add people, the price increases.

I'm not sure why you would not have received the email, as everyone with this group was sent a confirmation of our policies three weeks prior to arrival to ensure we avoided this type of concern.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Day one: we checked in at 1:30pm. First thing the employee tells us is that they won't have a room ready until 4pm which is "their check in time". I expressed my surprise since I do travel a lot and never heard 4pm but 3pm instead. His response? "Oh yeah, 3pm"... Then I asked what was their check out time and he said 11am so I asked again (very nicely and politely) if from 11am to 1:30pm they couldn't have ONE room ready for us? His response in a VERY arrogant tone: "I am not going to have this conversation with you". At that point I stopped talking to the guy and called Expedia to cancel my reservation and get reimbursed. I stepped away from the front desk and... magic... one minute later, he found us room... The room was nice but really tiny, and the bathroom was very small. Worst thing is that we paid for a Jr. Suite with a king size bed and this had a queen size bed. We were in a hurry and did not want to talk to this guy again. All in all, a bad experience.
Day two: we came down to the front desk and explained the situation. A sweet and diligent young lady told us not to worry, they would change us to another room and move our stuff (which we left all packed). Upon returning to the hotel that night we found out they moved us to a full suite. It was gigantic. A large living room, a large bedroom with a king size bed. A good size bathroom, a kitchenette with a dining area, two large flat screen TV's... A huge change!

All in all the hotel is nice, clean and fresh. The location is excellent, one block from the water and the Inner Harbor. They serve a very decent breakfast in a nice area in the top floor. It is a bit pricey for what they are but nothing terrible. Indoor parking is crazy expensive ($36 per day) but there are plenty of parking places around with different rate options. Half a block away you can park for $20 for 24 hrs.

Bottom line: your experience will vary depending on who you have the luck to talk to and which kind or room you get. You can get the arrogant guy treatment or the sweet girl.. The tiny room or the huge one... Who knows...

Would I return? Not sure... I think I would try something else...
Good luck

2  Thank MH-WWT
Jason C, General Manager at Brookshire Suites Inner Harbor, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

MH-WWT,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.com. I do appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry there was communication issues upon your arrival. I understand the suite you had reserved with a king size bed was not available for your early check in request. We do our best to try and honor all requests as often as we can. I am glad we were able to get you checked in early in a queen suite and were able to upgrade you to a larger suite the following day.

I agree, parking in an urban area can be quite pricey. Parking is $30 per night plus the 20% taxes. We do compare valet parking rates and do find that our rates are very competitive. Of course, self parking is always a less expensive option in nearby area garages.

Overall, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on a future visit to Baltimore.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have been staying here for years. Hotel is under new ownership. The hotel carpet is much cleaner (new), and most furniture has been replaced. White naugahide sofa not very attractive. When I checked in, I was offered a free upgrade which I did not even need to request. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Charge for valet parking was $36 which seemed very high. Also they charge a "destination fee" of $9.95 which covers 2 bottles of water and free WYFI. Room with a quoted price of $142 was over $210 at check out. I would recommend including destination fee in quoted price not as an add on you have no choice about, and lowering valet fee to $25. Free breakfast ok, but not as nice as it used to be. Fresh fruit was honeydew, cantaloup and red grapes.

Room Tip: upper floor away from elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank emily y

emily y,

Thank you for your review of Brookshire Suites. We do appreciate your business.

Yes, the hotel is under new ownership. The hotel was purchased from the bank as it was in bankruptcy. We did renovate our rooms just this past February, with a new modern, contemporary design that focuses on true elements of Baltimore.

I am sorry you felt that valet parking was too expensive. Unfortunately in most urban areas, this is the case. Because there is so much parking demand and not enough garages, the garages have a great deal of control over the rates they charge. In addition, the City of Baltimore imposes a 20% tax on parking, so the parking rates are not entirely set by the hotel. We do conduct frequent surveys of other valet parking services and found our pricing to be extremely competitive.

The Destination Fee include complimentary bottles of water upon check-in, the breakfast buffet (where can a family of four eat for $9.95?), local and long distance domestic telephone calls. We decided it was better to "bundle" these charges together instead of charging for each item individually, like most hotels do. So there is no $1.00 per local telephone call, or a $4.00 charge for the water in your room, etc.

Thanks again for your comments. We do appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again on a future visit to Baltimore.