“Visiting Baltimore? Stay elsewhere.”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is not that bad. The pool is small, but the pool room is really cool.
The reason I would not stay here again is that it is extremely difficult to get here if you do not have a car. I googled Baltimore transit and the entire first page had the third word as sucks. I should have googled this before, but I got this hotel as an internet special. If you are relying on anything other than your own vehicle or a taxi OR are looking to visit something other than John Hopkins, look elsewhere.
The room was adequate. Nothing special. The noise was awful though. You could hear full on conversations in the hallway.
The valet service at one time was texting behind the red truck that just pulled up for service.
The reviews for the restaurant made it seem really special and good. No one waited on us the first day for breakfast at all.
This was not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at but I would not stay here again.

1  Thank poseur247

Reviewed 14 July 2011

From the minute I walked in I was very impressed. The valet was very welcoming and very knowledgeable of the Baltimore area. They have a great staff on hand. Kelley and Terrel at the front desk made sure that my experience was wonderful and anything I needed or asked for was taken care of. Not all rooms are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave but ask the staff at the front desk and they are more than helpful.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave but ask the staff at the front desk and...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Thanks for the great feedback on the staff and the property. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed at the Inn for 4 days for business. My conference, being across the street on Johns Hopkins campus, made this VERY convenient. For dining, etc. it was not as much. There was a small “bistro” at the corner “New World Café” that although being a bit eclectic was quite nice – lots of locals. A little Italian restaurant is located nearby in a residential condo, not in a commercial area. Also, just down the street from the bistro is a great little market for snacks, wine, etc. All within safe walking distance.

Also, I ate at a restaurant on the water in the industrial area called Frankie’s on the Pier. Very authentic and a great outdoor patio.

This hotel has a nice bar and restaurant, a bit high, but typical for business clientele. They don’t open until 5:00. There is a nice business center with complimentary printing. The rooms are fabulous and great bedding, etc.

All in all, great for a Johns Hopkins business locale.

Room Tip: do the internet for best rates
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

A lot of great tips for future guests! Thanks for the feedback and we appreciate your business. I agree with your comment, it is idea to book an advance purchase via the internet to take advantage of additional savings.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I was not very impressed with this hotel from the minute I checked in. I
I am not a big fan on paying $20+ a day for parking. The workers at the front desk were not very helpful. The rooms felt dark and drab and the bathroom was dinky. One of the elevators was broken and there were not stairs, which I found unsafe and inconvenient. The handyman was nice and unfortunately I had a few reasons to need him.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I apologize about the temporary elevator issue, we did have one of our two guest elevators down for a couple of hours. Please feel confident we are safe and secure, we do have 2 emergency stairwells located on each floor as a means of leaving the hotel. In the event a guest needs to enter the hotel via the stairs that requires the assistance of one of our staff, again for security reasons.Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I was going to give this hotel four circles, but it really only deserves 3, or 3 1/2.

Except for the concercierge guy, the employees were rather sullen.

Upon entering the hotel, you THINK it is going to be really good, but it is really just average. Or a little bit above average. For example, the carpeting in the hallway on our floor could certainly be replaced.

Also, it is quite far from the Harbor area, so you will spend a lot of money on cabs.

Further, I was surprised that they had no airport van-----I noticed that even the Microtel had that. So add $40 in cabfare, each way, to your estimated expenses.

Further, we stayed here because it was close to Johns Hopkins University, where my
17 year old son was going on a college tour. While it IS close to Johns Hopkins, it is not particularly close to the admissions office, where they do the tours, which is on the other side of the campus.

So again, while I would like to rate this hotel as "good", it was vaguely disappointing, in a way that is hard to precisely articulate.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to say you are as close to JHU as physically possible, the campus is only 100 ft from our front door. As with any large University they sprawl over a large area, so even though we are within feet of the University it may be a brisk walk from certain parts of the school, but all within easy walking distance.

In regards to shuttle service, we have not had a demand for airport shuttle, and provide our guests with economical choices to and from BWI. I believe the hotel you mentioned offering shuttle service is located at BWI, and that is why they provide airport shuttle service.

We are located 4 miles from downtown Baltimore, in a more suburban type of a neighborhood, serving the JHU neighborhood. The majority of our guests stay with us while visiting JHU, and add Baltimore as an evening trip or extend their stay with us to visit Baltimore on the weekend. We do our best to try and meet the travel needs of all our guests.

Thanks again for your response and business and hope you enjoyed your visit to JHU.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed here while visiting JHU and had a wonderful trip. The room was clean and nice (no problems with the room at all) and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is great for business on the JHU campus. We had a nice breakfast in the hotel restaurant as well.

Overall, a very positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the Colonnade, we appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

I've stayed the the Colonnade many times. This time I thought it was needing some attention. It was not possible to set the AC in the room so that we could control the cooling. More than once we had to get the repairman to fix it. Water also dripped from the bathroom ceiling, but that was apparently fixed or stopped. The restaurant and bar have slipped. We couldn't even get a drink in the bar after dinner. It closed at 10 pm.which seemed rather early for a big city.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your response, I apologize about your AC issues, we are in the process of installing a new system and obviously have not worked out all of the issues. Again, I apologize for this inconvenience.