“Convenient location, great stay”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Palo Alto, California
“Convenient location, great stay”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to JHU (literally right across the street) and were very pleased. The rate was reasonable considering all nice hotels in Baltimore seems to be really overpriced. The valet was extremely friendly, though a couple of times it took forever to get our car back which was slightly frustrating. The room was okay but could have used some updating. Everything was comfortable and there was definitely plenty of space. At one point the TV wouldn't work and they sent someone up right away who fixed it quickly. The cookie at check-in was the high-point though, I would say.
If you are visiting JHU there really is no better place to stay, though I do think if you exclude location, the hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel, and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! I hope we see you again for your next trip to JHU and we will have that warm Doubletree Cookie ready for you.

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We have stayed in downtown Baltimore in the past, but we tried a neighborhood location this time and were glad we did. Johns Hopkins is nearby, although they are tearing up the main road so construction is an issue. But we liked having easy access to our car (unlike in a downtown hotel) so we could explore all of Baltimore's various neighborhoods more easily. The hotel is very nice and the service is very professional and friendly. We would definitely stay here again. We did experience some Internet connectivity issues in the business center, but the speed was fine in the guest rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your business and feedback! I am so glad you were able to enjoy Inn at the Colonnade hospitality during your stay. One of our nicest amenities is our location to JHU as well as being in downtown Baltimore yet so easy to drive anywhere. Our location is in the city yet feels like you are in the burbs! Thanks again.
Cornwall, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2013

As implied by the title, The Colonnade, is pricey, but terribly convenient. Needed a place to sleep and that's about all we did in spite of all the extra amenities available at this DoubleTree Inn. Took our son to his 'new' apartment, where, in turn, we were disgusted and shocked by it (the apartment, not The Colonnade) and so impelled to clean it, fix it, and paint it. Do slumlords have no honor? But I digress, The Colonnade . . . drove right up, nice parking attendant patiently awaited as we clambered out of the family van, walked into the lobby, with the fantastic, columns that reminded me of artist's renderings of the columns of the ancient Palace of Knossos (really, I'm not kidding around here they are beautiful). Stumbled to the Front Desk and mumbled my name to the fine fellow who instantly had our room cards available along with the warm cookies. My wife and I handed our cookies to our son (we're on a low carb diet, he's not) and we headed to our room. The check-in took about 30 seconds, which was great, because we were beat. For some reason the door was not locked, so I had to go in first and 'clear' the room to my wife's satisfaction. Fortunately, no unauthorized visitors, so we took our showers in the clean bath and went out to dinner by the harbor. Came back and slept comfortably, the AC worked dependably all night long. Awoke and sauntered to Paper Moon for breakfast. Sauntered back and checked out while calling ahead for our car. Alas, there was no car awaiting, so we stood there and stood there thinking the parking attendant was retrieving our car and, perhaps, it had been quadruple-parked in our something. Finally, I went back in and 'Stakkurs meg!' there's the attendant sitting on the couch fiddling with his iPhone. Somehow, calling ahead didn't result in any action, anyways, no tip for him. $30 for overnight parking is a bit much and top it with the pick-up fail, I'm dissatisfied. For 30 bucks, I'm thinking wash 'n' wax, warm chocolate chip cookies on the seats and a timely car reteival. So below, under 'Service' and 'Value' I'm hammering my DoubleTree stay. I'm also airing an ancient (pre-internet) grievance against the DoubleTree in Nashville, TN where the Parking Valet LOST my car key and and I had to wait 5 hours to get a new one from the local dealer (I did manage to extort 5 chocolate chip cookies out of him (no low carb diets back then) even though the parking services were subcontracted and not operated by DoubleTree). This is all, I hope I've met TripAdvisors 200 character minimum. Have a nice stay at The Colonnade!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Please feel free to contact our staff with any questions you may have about the area, we are always available to offer suggestions on housing area restaurants or local secrets.

I am so glad we were able to get you checked in so quickly, I will share your comments with housekeeping all doors should always be properly shut and secure this is not our standard by any means.

I have also shared your comments with our Valet Manager, at NO time should you have to wait as you did for your car and have our valet on their phone., I assure you this has been addressed.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you back soon. For any future needs feel free to contact me directly at Steve.Nyitrai@hilton.com.

virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stayed here in a double room that overlooked the alley by the parking garage. More on the alley later. As a Hilton Gold member, I would have liked a better view! :0

On the plus side: Room was very clean and comfortable. Could maybe use a face lift as the decor seemed a bit outdated. Beds and pillows very comfy and nice towels. The staff here was all very nice and friendly. The breakfast included for Hilton Gold members was also very nice. Plenty of selections. Overall a pleasant stay.

The cons: The parking fee of $20 per day is steep I feel. The bathroom with shower and toilet was so small I wondered how anyone could fit if they were very tall or large! Hard to shut the door while heading into that room. Last complaint is that the noise from the alley could be a very annoying issue. For us it wasn't a problem because we had to be up early. However, the construction trucks were load as well as the workers.

The location across the street from the Johns Hopkins stadium is great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you were disturbed by noise from our entrance to our parking garage. For your next stay please contact us and let us know if you prefer a Hopkins view or rear courtyard view and we will do our best to reserve your requested room type in that deseired area.

In regards to our parking rates, I assure you our $20.00 plus tax self parking rate is priced well below our fellow hotels here in Baltimore. As an alternative, there is street parking available in front of the hotel and in the neighboring streets. Please make sure if you use this option not to park in restricted or zoned areas to avoid a costly ticket.

Thanks again for your business and comments.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I have spent over 65 nights in the hotel since early February and it has been a very nice experience. The staff have been pleasant, courteous and provided great customer service. I have enjoyed many meals in Cafe Alizee and appreciate their willingness to customize the menu for me so that I had greater variety. The rooms were nicely appointed and the suite upgrades were lovely. I recommend the hotel and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! It has been a pleasure to have you here as our guest and part of our Doubletree family. We hope to see you back soon and thank you for your business, but more importantly your friendship.

San Francisco, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel itself and its location were great but we had a maintenance issue in our room that spoiled what was intended as a special family celebration. Given the price we paid for a deluxe suite, the severity of the issue is completely inexcusable. The staff were all friendly and the issue was resolved after we reported it but the management did not seem to take ownership for the issue. I didn't feel a sense of personal pride in serving customers at any level of the staff I met. This felt out of line with the cost and with the grand nature of the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I apologize for the issue you experienced in your guest room, it was condensation from the air conditioner located in bathroom ceiling. When your room was inspected no issues were noticed before your check-in, only after running all night did the leak occur. As soon as it was brought to our attention, we immediately addressed the issue and in a matter of 5-10 minutes the repair was made. You had spoken to the Assistant General Manager regarding the issue and she did make an adjustment to your bill for the inconvenience.

As you know, at times mechanical issues do arise no matter how much attention to detail or preventative maintenance we may take. We hope you enjoyed Graduation otherwise and hope to see you back in Baltimore and apologize again for the issue.
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. The highlight was the staff. Everyone was courteous and attended to our every need with a pleasant attitude. The valet was wonderful. When we asked for directions to the restaurant next door, the bartender went so far as to walk my wife and I outside to show us the way. The rooms were clean and very spacious. The bar had a nice selection of drinks, and the breakfast was very good. I highly recommend the Ambassador Dining Room next door, as that is one of the best kept secrets in Baltimore. The only thing to watch out for is the AC. Our room got a bit warm overnight, so I turned it on, and it blows directly onto the bed. I cooled down fast, but the direct AC was really cold.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple