“doubletree near johns hopkins”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
“doubletree near johns hopkins”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel, with a pleasant bar and very good dining room. It's walking distance from JHU Homewood offices. The beds are comfortable, the air conditioning reasonable, and there are outside patios and a pool. The valet car service is attentative.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We had a very good experience at this hotel. The receptionist (Doina) was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She helped us getting the room right away. We were very satstisfied by the service at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed for one night at the Colonnade when attending a business conference. Downtown hotels had no vacancies so I chose this place because I had stayed there a few years back. The Colonnade has gone down hill.

It always surprises me that people choose to work in the hospitality industry who don't have a hospitable bone in their bodies. I arrived around noon. One of the two desk attendants told me that check in wasn't until 3:00 p.m. The second quickly added that I should have let them know that I was arriving early, because the hotel had been sold out the previous night. I then asked them if they had a room available. Turns out they did. So why the gratuitous hard time? They had my Hilton Honors Gold card, so they knew I was pretty loyal to the brand.

I went upstairs and started working. I thought about having a sandwich sent up from room service. I reached for the phone in the small living room. It did not work. I checked the phone jack and it was frayed. I tried the phone in the bedroom. The room service button didn't work, but someone picked up when I dialed 0. He connected me to room service, but they did not pick up after 10 rings. I hung up and went down to the lobby, but the small store selling sandwiches was closed . . . at 1:35 p.m.!

The next day I was up early working. About 6:30 a.m. I asked to be connected to room service. The desk attendant told me that room service did not open until 7:00 a.m. That seems a little late on a weekday for guests who may have early morning business. I quickly showered and went down to the restaurant. No server came to the table, so I just went over to the breakfast buffet. A server did come over and offer coffee when I was about halfway through my meal.

When I checked out, I asked the bellman for a cab. He said another person was waiting and that cabs were hard to come by when it was raining (actually, it was not raining, just the merest hint of a mist). After 10 minutes with no cab for my fellow guest or me, I set off for St. Paul Street where I caught the bus to the train station.

On the plus side, the croissants at breakfast were absolutely delicious. The lobby is large with a stab at elegance circa 1983. The room was reasonably clean, but the furnishings were frayed. The bed was quite comfortable.

This employees at this place have just stopped trying. The Doubletree Colonnade is in desperate need of renovation. Maybe the fact that it is across the street from Johns Hopkins means they can get away with tattered furniture and lousy service. But paying $249.00 a night plus tax for this experience left me feeling cheated. I will not return.

Room Tip: This place is not up to par. The only good room is a room at another hotel.
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everyone was very helpful to my family and me on our stay for a weekend event at one of the colleges. We drove in from out of town, arrived early, our rooms were ready, the valets assisted in flagging down cabs, concierge got bags to our rooms and recommended rec events, and the desk staff was very welcoming and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Tucson, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was convenient for my business at JHU. I was impressed with the very good, attentive service. But very thin walls meant I heard my neighbors' coughing, alarms, etc. For this reason, it seems to be a high price for what is offered.

1 Thank Colette S
Cambodia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I ordered breakfast to my room, but it was simply forgotten. When I notified a person at the reception, I was pleased to obtain a coupon for a free breakfast the day after. However, the room service then insisted that I'd still have to pay $10.10 for gratuity and tip (yes: both!). Also, the bathroom had an unpleasant smell.

Montoursville, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Everyone was helpful, courteous, and attentive. Facilities were excellently cleaned and attractive. Foods and services were well prepared, well presented, and quite good. We had a great experience and were highly satisfied overall.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple