“convenient to JHU, not that great otherwise”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Bay Area, CA
“convenient to JHU, not that great otherwise”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

I stayed at the Colonnade with my family because my brother was graduating from JHU. For our purposes, it was nice because it was so convenient to the campus, but it was way, way overpriced during graduation week, and the rooms weren't even that large and/or that nice.

My card key malfunctioned pretty much every time I tried to use it, so I got pretty well acquainted with a lot of the front desk staff since I had to get my key reprogrammed so often.

The breakfast buffet was similarly overpriced and not that great. After the first day, we ate at nearby restaurants instead. Brasserie Tatin is a few blocks away and is excellent.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
baltimore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

Similar to other review, we found the lobby to be glitzy, but the rest of the hotel is falling apart. The rooms were very plain. The bathroom was missing grout and had a growing case of mold around the tub. Not what you'd expect from an EXPENSIVE hotel. It seems they are riding on 2 things, and 2 things only:
1- the nice lobby
2-being across the street from Hopkins.

Unfortunately we also found the front desk staff to be quite rude. We were also suprised to find that the pool was no more than 3 feet deep in all places. Great for young kids, but not for adults (unless they are accompanying small kids).

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank marriagerightsforall
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

I was a student at JHU when this hotel was being built (20 years ago!) and always thought it looked so nice from the outside. I finally had my chance to stay at the hotel when I was invited to participate in an alumni advisory committee in April 2007 (I did not have to pay for the room myself). I have to say I was a little disappointed with the hotel. First, the rooms are kind of dark and a little run down. Next, I could not figure out how to set the clock, let alone the alarm (it had the wrong time!) and the lock of my room was pretty bent and worn (but it did still lock). It was unusually warm when I was in Baltimore and I had a difficult time getting the room comfortable. After crawling into bed, the bottom sheet kept coming untucked from the mattress (I hate that!). During my stay, I saw furniture just left in the hallway (and overheard the discussion of the staff, "I wonder what that's doing there?"). In addition, I did not find the front desk staff to be overly helpful when I needed to schedule a 4:00 am taxi.
On the good side, the food we were served on our first night's meeting was outstanding.
In short, the hotel is great for convenience to the JHU campus, but is in need of renovation (which they said they were doing) and some improvements in service.

• Liked — convenience to JHU campus
  • Disliked — dark and dingy rooms, service
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank rondracek
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2007

This hotel is very convenient to Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus and Charles Village, but not close to much else.

The staff was very accomodating during my stay. They switched my room when I showed up before check-in time so I wouldn't have to wait for my original room to be cleaned. I think that some strange charges and refunds on my bill resulted from this, but the staff was again very helpful in sorting it out and printing me a new bill on checkout. The key card machine wasn't working when I checked in, so they sent someone from housekeeping to meet me at my room and let me in, and called me when my key was ready. They were also very helpful with tips on how to get the semi-functional ATM in the lobby to work (unplug it and plug it back in to reboot it).

All of that being said, I was a little disappointed with the condition of my room. It was small and rather dark. The furnishings were somewhat worn. No mini-fridge. It seemed like there was a shampoo shortage because when I arrived, my shampoo was half-empty, and wasn't replaced during my stay.

Good points: I love the DoubleTree cookies. Free wireless internet.
Helpful staff. The most convenient hotel to JHU. The pool/solarium looked nice.

Not so good: The rooms need a renovation (they appeared to be renovating something in the lobby when I was there). Not close to the Inner Harbor or BWI. And what's with the shampoo?

Check out: Tamber's Nifty Fifties Diner at 34th and St. Paul. It's a 50's style diner with Indian food. It sounds weird, but it works. Try the chocolate malts, Kashmiri naan, and chicken korma.

Also: The Ambassador restaurant behind the DoubleTree has good Indian food in an elegant quasi-British Colonial setting. They open up the patio doors in the summer and seat you in the garden with tablecloths and hurricane lamps.

And: The tiramisu at Donna's at 31st and St. Paul. It's the size of a brick and light as a feather.

• Liked — Proximity to JHU
  • Disliked — Furnishings were showing their age
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank panicked
St. Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

The hotel lobby looks impressive. Beyond that, my experience with the property was a real downer. The rooms are spare, the mattresses are bad; they're old and lumpy. The pillows are uncomfortable.. Electrical outlets in the room are scarce and the bathroom is pretty tired.

The management of this property appears to be poor. They gave me the wrong room-- a single king when I requested a double. I am traveling with my 18 year old son who was with me at check in. Despite that, the woman at the front desk gave me a single bed. Not very attentive.

Cookies are Doubletree's signature item. However, no cookies were available at checkin or late in the evening.. The front desk said that the kitchen didn't make them today. Ridiculous. Tried reaching the front desk by phone....no answer.

Last thing....Diamond members are supposed to receive water in their rooms or be given it at the front desk at the time of check in. No water available.

Beware....the place needs a face lift and far better manangement.

• Liked — location across the street from Johns Hopkins
  • Disliked — service and room condition
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business