“Absolutely Fabulous!”

Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Cindymdale
“Absolutely Fabulous!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is one of the best hotel experiences I've had in eons. Located right on the Inner Harbor, the location is fabulous. We were upgraded to a corner suite--which given that we were traveling with two teenagers--was perfect. There was a double pull down bed, a comfy couch, and a huge four poster king size bed in a palatial room with two bathrooms and three TVs! Only complaint was no mini-bar, but if there had been one we might never have left the room! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Workout room was much better than most and the pool decent (alas, the jacuzzi wasn't working). There was also a tennis court (which could use a little renovating) that my husband and kids used. (The hotel lent racquets and balls). Coffee shop right off the lobby was perfect for grabbing a quick breakfast. The hotel is under new management under the Sonesta brand. Join their frequent sleeper program before you go. You'll get some perks immediately. The front desk told us they're expanding rapidly and will be opening 50+ new properties this year. We're certainly fans.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. It sounds as though you enjoyed every aspect of your visit. We are a bit confused about your comment of not having a mini-bar. All our rooms are furnished with mini-bars. Our sincere apology for you not knowing your room had this amenity.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back our hotel or any one of our other Sonesta properties.

Warm regards,
Diane Waite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Arabic first
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This recently relabeled hotel sits facing the inner harbor in Baltimore, across the street from Harbor Court and within easy walking distance of other shopping and eating destinations and the newly expanded Aquarium. The lobby and second floor restaurant and bar have a pleasant contemporary look and the restaurant has large windows facing the harbor. We stayed here for the recent tall ship event and it was pefectly located for that. The rooms are also done in contemporary decor and look out toward either the harbor or Camden Yards. Everything was clean and the bathroom featured larger than usual toiletry bottles and fluffy towels. The staff, from front desk to concierge and bell hops, was friendly and helpful. Breakfast is not included in the room charge, but the large buffet was reasonable and quite good - you can also order off the menu.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the harbor are more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This property is located right on the inner harbor and is convenient for both business and tourist travel. The rooms were large, well appointed, quiet, and had quiet, effective air conditioning (The loud air handling equipment in most hotel rooms is a personal pet peeve). The bed was comfortable, and the bedding and towels were of good quality. But...

Check in took 15 minutes. The clerk was perfectly pleasant and professional, but she was doing double duty, checking us in and answering a nonstop barrage of telephone calls at the same time. There seemed to be other staff on duty in the back office, including a manager, who should have been out there helping deal with the calls. This was not at an unusual time of day for check-in.

When we returned in the evening, the pull-out couch (which we clearly stated we were going to need) had no bed linens on it. I called the desk asking for some. A different clerk, polite and apologetic, said he would send some up right away. Ten minutes later I called again; the clerk apologized and again said he would expedite it. Another ten minutes later I called a third time for the manager, who put me on hold for a while and then said that the security guard would bring up the linens, which he did.

This is flat out unacceptable in a hotel that bills itself as high-end. Yes, the primary commodity being sold is a bed, which was fine, but there has to be a level of service to match. I would not recommend it until they get their staffing levels up to the standard one expects in hotels at this price / category.

3 Thank Schrodingers_Cat
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore. Please accept our most sincere apology for the level of service you received during your visit. We have reached out to the appropriate department managers and discussed with them in detail the shortcomings that you experienced during your time here.

Please know the level of service you experienced is not typical of the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court. We hope to welcome you back so we can truly show you what excellent service our hotel provides for our guests on a daily basis.

center valley,pa
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This hotel ruined our vacation. I have stayed here several times before they changed hands in May. Was truly a five star hotel before they were bought out.
We were told at noon to return at three and our room would be ready. We returned at 3 with two tired and hungry four year old birthday kids and were told that we would have to wait, our room would be ready soon. at 4 with repeated promises that our room would be ready every 15 minutes, even with the manager taking care of it, we were still no closer to our room. We were finally told it would take 20 minutes for some one to check to make sure our room was cleaned properly?? 430 still no room, I actually threatened some one behind the front desk. No offer of treats for the tired and crying kids, nothing to drink, Truly, no one cared
Finally, we are in our room and I am removing my top and the hall door opens and in walks the housekeeping supervisor, no knock nothing. We requested coffee cups for the Keurig in our room and were told to call room service and were told that the charge would be 8.00.
I told front desk that my son was arriving from another state, we were all staying in the same room, I instructed them to not allow him to pay (they had already accepted my credit card). Not only did they put a 200.00 hold on my card, they took his card also and put a 200.00 hold on his, and then said they needed to put another 200.00 hold on my card. They said we could call our bank on monday to get it straightened out.
Said they sent choclates to our room...they never arrived. We left our DVD player in the room when we checked out. After one week and several phone calls they have still not put it in the mail, some guy named Andre keeps calling for a credit card number so he can mail it to us. We gave the number to Zachary on Tuesday and he never put it in the mail. Wonder what he did with our credit card number. DON'T EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL IT WAS AN AWFUL TIME.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
6 Thank kerryCenterValley_pa
We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory and that we were unable to perform up to our standard of guest service. Please accept our apology for the level of service you received during your stay. Your comments have been discussed with all department managers to ensure these incidents are not repeated for future guests.

It is my understanding that you worked with our Weekend Manager on Duty regarding the return of your DVD player. I am pleased that she was able to assist you with returning it

Warm regards,
Chicago
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I booked a guaranteed reservation in early February for arrival June 25 for 3 nights. I received a call last night that they were relocating me to a run down (according to reviews) Radisson 20 minutes away. I chose this hotel due to it's location near the convention center. The management explained they overbooked the hotel by 40 rooms, so 39 other guests were also being moved to the Radisson. I now get to pay for cabs to and from the convention, two nights at a run down hotel and lose the benefit of staying in the location I chose months ago. They didn't even reveal the rate I was now required to pay at the Radisson.

I was told by the director of operations that they are only required to pay for the first night of my reservation and they would offer me a gift certificate. I explained I would not be so foolish as to make an additional reservation at that property if this is the way they treat their guests. I told him I thought the credit card rules required them to pay for my entire reservation, he said no. What he didn't mention is that the credit card requirement is that they must find a hotel similar to the hotel I booked, clearly they have not done that with the Radisson as their choice.

If you want to be sure that your guaranteed reservation is guaranteed to be available when you check in, you should choose another hotel.

They just renamed this hotel from an Intercontinental (which is what it was when I booked) to Royal Sonesta Harbor Court - they should really call it the Royal Shaft.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank WJTChicago
Thank you for your comment on your recent experience with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the level of service that you received. It is my understanding that you spoke with our Director of Operations in further details and I hope that he was able to provide you with an acceptable resolution.

Unfortunately there are situations, such as this one, that are out of our control. We do strive to exceed our guests’ expectations every day.

Lancaster
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed overnight at this hotel for the Sailabration event at the Harbor - my family frequently visits the harbor area but this was the first time at this hotel - hotel was OK, food definitely overpriced but what got to me the most was extra charges to my credit card. As per the hotel, they charge a $100 incidental fee, which I can understand, but they fail to tell you this at check in! On top of that, the hotel 'made a mistake' as per management and OVERCHARGED my credit card THREE TIMES!!! Yep, as in $300.00!!! on top of the $100.00 incidental fee and the usual room charges!!! As of today, I am still waiting for my bank to release the credit! When I contacted the hotel, all I got was 'lip service' and basically a 'who cares' attitude - NEVER will stay here again - I intend to spend my hard earned money on a hotel who does care!!!

3 Thank Dianne J
We can completely understand your frustration when it comes to incidentals charges while traveling. Please accept our apology for this unnecessary inconvenience. Without getting too technical on how the check in process works, our front office system was brand new as the hotel opened under new management the day before, and we were unaware of a few kinks that needed attending to. This particular situation will be used as a learning tool for our Front Office staff to ensure this does not occur in the future.

It is this type of feedback that allows us to improve on our customer service.

Glenolden, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This hotel, now the Royal Sonesta Hotel, was lovely with lots of character and friendly staff, although we did not stay in it while it was The Intercontinental Harbor Court. This hotel is directly across the street from the Inner Harbor with all of its wonderful restaurants and great shopping

Room Tip: If you can afford the difference from a Courtyard view to a Harbor view, go with the Harbor view. I...