“Wedding weekend”

Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Royal Sonesta was the only hotel we could locate in downtown Baltimore that would block off rooms for a wedding on Preakness weekend, and everyone loved the hotel. The staff is extremely friendly, and the room was beautiful and in a great location for Baltimore attractions. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Regina M
Bob_Haislip, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Regina M., thank you for your wonderful review of our property regarding your recent visit. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate your room block over the Preakness weekend. I hope that you had an enjoyable weekend. Thank you for recommending us as a destination hotel to your friends and family. The staff and I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,603)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This review is a long time coming...my companion and I stayed at the Sonesta the weekend of March 22-23 to celebrate an anniversary.
From start to finish, our experience was great. The staff welcomed us warmly, we found them to be entertaining, knowledgeable, and informative. We arrived early, but our room was ready so we were able to check in. The concierge, Jonathan, was the best! When I made the reservation, I indicated we were celebrating and requested the highest floor possible with a Harbor View. To our delight, upon arrival Jonathan informed us had been upgraded to a suite! He then proceeded to talk to us about restaurants and recommend a couple different choices for us to consider. The room was impeccable, clean, comfortable, and well appointed, with a fantastic Harbor View and enormous bathroom and bath. Later, Jonathan arranged for complimentary transportation to a delicious restaurant, where we were treated to complimentary champagne from the manager. When we returned to our room, we were greeted with more champagne and beautiful chocolate covered strawberries. The next morning, when we found ourselves having trouble getting it together to check out in time, the front desk was even kind enough to give us an extra hour. Again, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and two of the doormen/bellmen joked with us and gave us other suggestions for things to do when we return. It was just a wonderful experience all around.
We will definitely stay at the Sonesta again. It was a great experience and we could not have been happier. The staff was amazing and really made our stay very special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2Case

Dear 2Case, thank you for the 5 star review and for your wonderful comments regarding your visit. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff was able to accommodate your needs and then some. It sounds as though your celebration was a complete success!!! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

As other reviewers have noted the hotel is old and the furnishings show the wear. It is a three star hotel at best still trying to pass itself off as a luxury hotel. I got the room on an internet discount site as apparetenlty did everyone else there. Bikers, backpackers etc. its not a business hotel anymore, So if you got a good deal on this hotel on the internet thinking you are getting a good deal on a luxury hotel you are not. It is a good basic hotel and the price should be low to match. On the plus side it is in a good location near the inner harbor and even the basic room was very big. The bathroom was also nice, both large and clean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JJH1

Dear JJH1, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and to share your experience with us. Please stay in touch for an exciting announcement regarding the furnishings, carpets, etc. We think our clientele we be very pleased. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore 2014
Introduction: I am a REALTOR and a Commercial Property owner and manager. Our combined family property values are over $30,000,000. We have some “A” properties and we have a few old “D” quality/level properties.
I stayed at this property Thursday, May 15 through Saturday, May 17, 2014. I was in Baltimore for the Black-Eyed Susan and the Preakness Stakes races at Pimlico Race Track.
$314.00 a night for two nights, $725.00 total, for a City View room, is not a value. Then in addition to pay $26.00 a night for self-parking and $14-$16.00 for breakfast does not make the Royal Sonesta a value.
$807.00 is the price of a new iPad or a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean.
There was no front door attendant at 8:00 PM, on a Thursday, May 15, 2014. The female parking attendant was slow to great us and there was no bellman, so she brought our luggage to the room; leaving the hotel lobby and parking court unattended.
The front desk staff were friendly and efficient and made me feel welcome.
The hotel did not appear to be busy, yet when I tried to book other rooms direct with Sonesta and with Hotels.com the web pages said, "Sold Out." This gave me the impression that Royal Sonesta was trying to push people to the higher priced rooms.
The shower head in our room, #430, leaked and the ice buildup in the mini refrigerator was like a glacier! Shouldn’t housekeeping staff and supervisors inspect and correct these deficiencies daily?
Overall Room #430 was clean and comfortable, the temperature controls worked well and the down bedding was very nice.
Every time we walked from room #430 to the elevator we saw food trays in the hallway, on the Harbor View room side of the corridor. Once we saw two Spanish speaking maids sitting on the floor on their cell phones! When we returned to our room the women were still there. I joked with them and said, in Spanish, “Here come the supervisor.” The women did not respond and continued to laugh and look at their 2 cell phones. Is anyone supervising and managing this property?
The Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore is not a 5 Star hotel.
The Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, is more like a very overpriced high 3 Star or a low 4 star property. And if management does not take charge it will decline more. I stayed at this property in 2004 when it was an Intercontinental Hotel and the property in 2004 was a vibrant and fun hotel.
I stayed at this property in 2012 it was a good. (cut)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank REC54

Dear REC54, Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore. We appreciate your input and your constructive criticism. The matters you mentioned will be addressed with the appropriate department heads to find resolutions to avoid these types of situations in the future. I truly thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

First of all this hotel is in a Excellent location on the inner harbor we stayed for 3 nights the room was big, beds comfy and the bathroom really clean staff very helpful i would recommend this hotel and Baltimore "Great"

Room Tip: city view and harbor view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Bob_Haislip, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear andrew b. Thank you for the wonderful review of our property and for the 5 Stars!!! The staff and I are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The location of the hotel is the best in the city and I am personally glad you had the chance to experience our hotel first hand. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to the United States, we'd love to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future or even at one of our many other properties in various states and around the world.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was at the hotel for a wedding last weekend. My plans had changed and I needed two beds instead of one. They upgraded me to a very large suite (called Leander). The view was amazing and the bed was great. Huge bathroom with a tv and 4 person tub. The only downsides were that the decor was kind of tired and in need of a remodel and the valet took 30 minutes to bring the car around the next morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if they have them. Tons of space and awesome views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rick K. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with our Valet service. We will most definitely take a look at procedures to ensure guests are brought around in a timelier manner. Thank you for sharing this issue with us. I've mentioned a few times in past responses that we hope to be able to share some exciting news regarding the hotel. We hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just got back from the Baltimore Sonesta Harbor Front hotel and the hotel was fantastic. The staff was especially friendly and helpful. the rooms were great and the overall feel of the hotel was memorable. i definitly would recomend the place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dear Michael M. Thank you for the 5 star review and for the recommendation on our property. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The staff and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future visit.