“Wonderful experience”

Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here just one night, but the service and accommodations were exceptional in every regard. From our early check-in, to the aquarium package, to our valet parking, everything exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta
Bob_Haislip, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Michael R. Thank you for the review from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the staff was able to accommodate your needs. Hope you were able to get out and see some of the sights in Baltimore in addition to the Aquarium. The pleasure would be all mine to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I took my son to Baltimore to watch a few O's games at Camden Yards. The hotel is in a great location for enjoying all that the Inner Harbor has to offer and getting to and from Camden Yards without ever needing a car. 10 minute walk to Camden Yards and just a few minutes to the harbor.

The hotel is in a fairly quiet section of the harbor with amazing views if you choose a harbor view room. Well worth the $ for that view.

The staff greets you as if you're their only guest. The staff opens the doors when you leave and when you return, is very helpful at the front desk, and attends to any needs that you have.

When I told the staff at check-in that I was treating my son to a "guy's weekend" in honor of him completing elementary school with perfect grades and positioning himself for a strong and successful entry into the next level of school, they were quick to congratulate him and made him feel special for his achievements in school. We went out for dinner and came back a few hours later to find that they had left a card addressed to my son as well as chocolate inside our room for him to enjoy. My son is gluten free so I took my son downstairs to thank the staff and find out if the chocolate was safe for him to eat. The first person we spoke to at the desk wasn't certain what was in the dessert and asked if he wanted anything else to enjoy. Both of us said they had done enough and we really appreciated it and nothing more was necessary. They insisted that at the very least they offer him breakfast. Even though the menu doesn't offer gluten free breads as an option, to our surprise they found an amazing zucchini bread for him to enjoy and provided it each day during our stay.

Needless to say, we felt very special during our stay and would absolutely return to this hotel as well as the Baltimore area.

Room Tip: Choose a harbor view room. Well worth the extra cost. Choose AAA option to safe even more!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Steven L. Thank you for the wonderful review from your stay at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore and for the 5 Stars!!! The staff and I thank you for your kind words and we are pleased to hear that you and your son enjoyed your stay. Your son's accomplishment deserved a special reward and we are happy to go the extra mile to offer a little extra to help you celebrate his success. I will share your comments with our Chef to see if there is something we can do in the future. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I am certain that this has been said of the Baltimore Royal Sonesta staff before now however it is the front facing people of an establishment or business that makes the first and last impression. From the outdoor staff at the doors (and performing in house service), to the front desk, to those tending our rooms, to those at the restaurant and bar, to those who helped us with extended booking, thank you for your part in making this trip perfect! Each person we encountered before and during our stay seemed to us genuinely devoted to superior service and in particular, to us. They made us feel that we really did matter and that our happiness was truly important to them. When away from home, very professional, always attentive, patient, helpful, knowledgeable people are what make the biggest difference between a good or not so good experience.
The staff at the Royal Sonesta had warm, friendly smiles for us at every turn, no matter where we were in the building (seemed like a castle) and as such the Baltimore R.S. staff trumped any previous personal experiences at similar hotels.

We were at the Baltimore R.S. with a wedding party for the weekend and since we were coming from California wanted to see and taste more of Baltimore and Washington D.C. without having to move to another hotel. Upon requesting an extension of the special rates given us for the wedding days, we were quickly assured that we would be accommodated and thus began a wonderful vacation!

We love boats and water bodies (understatement) and this was our first visit to Baltimore so we stayed in a Harbor View room. I can’t even imagine staying in any other room if you are a boat/water lover. Any ‘down’ time was mostly spent at our comfortable round table in the front window alcove, watching boats, people, buildings, comings, goings, weather and the likes or laying on the large oh-so-comfy king bed (and we were glad we brought our little binoculars). The king bed was firm however a cush on top so even though my husband and I like a different bed (he likes soft, I like firm) this bed was the best of both worlds and best quality linens. Lights next to our bed swang in or out. We had a large desk to conduct business, an easy chair, an ottoman at the the foot of our bed (nearly the entire width of the bed), dressers and nightstands with plenty of storage, should you need it. There was a large wall mirror close to the natural light from the front alcove windows. It was an extremely comfortable room. This room was well insulated so that although we might have heard some next room doings, it was not noisy or unmanageable. The lighting was good in the room and you could get bright light if you needed it. The room had a good, quick thermostat.

The anteroom (entry room) was a good size and contained a well-equipped closet with slatted door and marble bar with cupboard storage and fridge (doors closed over the fridge). The bar had a large mirror. The bath was wonderful. The tub itself was large and with grab bars. Open cabinets on either side of the vanity sink provided lots of huge fluffy towels and plenty of storage area. There was a television on the wall and a telephone in the vanity area (so you could watch tv while shaving). I could stand in front of the large vanity mirror and position the bath door’s mirror so that I could see the back of my hair. The marble floors were slippery so remember to put towels down. The soaps/conditioners provided were lovely, a little on the tropical side (but not too much) and I loved them.

Walking throughout the building was relaxing and fun. There were a lot of long halls, large glassed areas, windows, and paintings, all nicely lit. The gym was good. It had lots of equipment and different rooms. There were therapy rooms, aerobics rooms, rowing rooms, weight rooms and more. There were 3 or 4 treadmills and I think 3 ellipticals. There were about 8 different toning/muscle building machines with good instructions. There were plenty of towels, showers, and a stash of cleaner/wipes to use to wipe down the machines. Nice indoor pool up on one of the roofs (life guard was there but is not a baby sitter), with spacious patio and lawn areas outside to either sit and talk or lay around and take in some sun. Racquet and basketball also was outside.

The business room off the lobby was perfect. It had two big red leather chairs and two awesome fast Dell computers with a printer in between…very nice. There is a cute coffee shop, accessible via the lobby or from the outside and does have outdoor tables, pastries, yogurt and I think some other goodies. There are large sitting areas in the lobby and also a large library off the lobby with plenty of seating too. The large ascending, curving staircase in the middle of the lobby is elegant and graceful.

We had breakfast one day in the restaurant, Explorers, upstairs. It was good. You could choose from the menu or have the buffet for $20. I chose menu and opted for fruit vs potatoes/hash browns and was pleased at the portion of fresh fruit I received. I would suggest the chef opt for a grainier bread for the wheat or get rid of the wheat and offer a nice organic multigrain. Prices were quite fair for breakfast, in-house, with beautiful surroundings (rich furnishings, paintings, area rugs, large glass, high ceilings…very nice). We did have room service on Monday night and it was good! We only had the chicken sandwich and the Kobe sliders but they were good, came hot and came quickly, once ordered. Our water came in crystal glasses with fine stainless cutlery.

If I were to make one suggestion about the room (and to save a vacationing person from possible high blood pressure), I would recommend some kind of a guide …either digital or on paper that could show what the television stations are showing and the times. We like to see local news and could not find any, nor could we determine what shows were on at what time. We had to channel surf, which caused frustration.

The hotel has their own (very nice) car service and we would recommend you pay the few dollars more to use it (after having used a few regular cabs, we can say this with conviction).

We would highly recommend the Baltimore Royal Sonesta to anyone, any situation.

Room Tip: If you do want to see Harbor view, remember that on regular week days there is commute traffic so re...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Bob_Haislip, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear 50PlusCalifornia, Thank you for the 5 stars and for such a flattering review! I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay with us. It was nice to hear how pleasant and attentive the staff had been while you were here and how our hospitality made you feel completely at home. It was nice to hear that you were able to extend your stay and visit with us a bit longer and get to see more of Baltimore. The staff and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I just stayed for the first time for a business trip. What a excellent hotel and even better location. It was within walking distance of most places to see or a very short cab ride. Hotel staff was very nice and pleasnt to work with. Facility was in excellent condition, I would recomend this Hotel to my fellow work partners as a place to stay in Baltimore.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Craig K., Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your recent stay and for teh 5 star review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your business meeting and were able to get out of thotel to see the city sights. For future reference, the Charm City Circulator is another great way to get around downtown Baltimore, and best of all it's free!! The staff and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great location. This hotel did not honor the room that was confirmed with my reservation. We reserved a King size bed with City View. We got Queen size bed with Courtyard view. Yes, they did knock off a certain amount but not per night because they deemed the rooms comparable That never seems to be the case when you are booking the trip. Not sure there is much difference between a three star and four star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya P
Bob_Haislip, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Tanya P, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate your room request for your visit. We try our best to provide the requested room accommodations, but sometimes do run into circumstances beyond our control. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had a wonderful time in BAltimore with Family and Friends. The service at the Royal Sonesta was superior, even the staff serving room service gave you a hearty hello in passing in the halls. Reception was letting a guest know they serve one of the best crab cakes in Baltimore and hearing this, I just had to have one. What great sales and representation for the hotel. At night coming back to the hotel, Ernest and Tanya were there with a smile and asking how our evening was...very welcoming...here's hoping another relative will get married in Baltimore!
The crab cakes were yummy!

Room Tip: We had three rooms and all had a good view of the harbor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear cayuca22, Thank you for submitted a 5 star review from your recent stay, it truly is appreciated. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was very accommodating. The staff makes every effort to make each guest feel welcome and provide them with a sense of being "home". I'm also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the crab cake from Explorer's. They are, in my opinion, the best in the city. Thank you again, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I just finished a wonderful weekend in Baltimore. We were celebrating our anniversary. We chose the Royal Sonesta primarily on its location at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
I will tell you all we were quite surprised at how much we loved this hotel. It started with the concierge providing some ideas for a romantic start (the chocolate covered strawberries were amazing, and I believe done in house) and arranged dinner for us at a great restaurant in the Little Italy section of Baltimore..Arriving at the hotel we found the entire experience pleasant. From the parking experience, where our valet told us "you're not just renting a room, your getting an entire staff". The view from our room was as good as the the advertisements, with the Baltimore inner harbor on display. The room lighting was good, with enough light to read, dimmable lights for mood setting. We had a wonderful soaking tub, ahh how relaxing. The only drawback was the pillows. My wife and I prefer firmer pillows.
Valet parking has unlimited in and out. Our valet told us "call anytime, even if you just want to look at your car".
The room was quiet, no hall or street noise.
We had a wonderful, romantic stay. If you get the chance, stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dear Brendan B., thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and wonderful review of your recent stay. I am so pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay while celebrating your anniversary. We try our best to add special little touches here and there when guests are celebrating a life event, but the staff makes an effort to go the extra mile with all of our guests. It is good to hear the staff's restaurant recommendation was a hit and to answer your inquiry, our chocolate covered strawberries are made by our pastry department. Thank you again for the glowing review and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, perhaps for next year's anniversary!