“Don't book through Priceline”

Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Don't book through Priceline”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I booked my stay at this hotel through Priceline and was treated like a second class citizen from beginning to end.

First off, let me say that by booking through Priceline, I only saved about $20 per night. Had I known it would affect my experience to this degree, I would have paid full price and booked through the hotel.

We were planning to have four people stay in the room and I called right when I booked it (about a month out) to request a room with two queen beds instead of one king. I was told that they could note the request, but that there was no way to guarantee it (this was not said nicely, the person I spoke with on the phone was actually quite rude about it). I explained that I wasn't aware that you weren't allowed to request a specific room type when booking through Priceline and asked if I could simply apply what I had paid through Priceline to the cost of a regular room booked through the Holiday Inn, as it was quite important that we had two separate beds to sleep in. I was simply told "no." No explanation, no apologies, no suggestions.

A friend of mine, who happens to have elite status through his points with the hotel group, called about 3 days prior to check-in to request an upgrade to his room and asked if mine could be taken care of as well. They assured him on the phone that my room would be handled and not to worry. Well of course I check-in and not only does the room not have two queen beds, it has ONE QUEEN bed (not a king). Now I didn't even know that rooms with one queen bed still existed in hotels, but apparently at the Holiday Inn that's what you get if you book through Priceline. I once again spoke with the front desk and was given no answers, no apologies, and no suggestions.

Finally we decided that we would simply request a cot for the room - hoping that we could find a way to make it all work. Once again we were told no, with no apologies, suggestions or explanations. I'm sensing a pattern here... We ended up having to get another room all together, at another hotel, just to accommodate the two other guests we were staying with.

The room at the Holiday Inn was dingy, the pillows were lumpy and very small, the blankets were incredibly thin. Not that I was expecting a five star hotel, but I've stayed in some Best Westerns that were much cheaper and much nicer than this place. We were there for two nights and they did not come in to clean our room or make the bed in between days. We made one call using the hotel phone and were charged $1.50 for a two minute local call.

I gave this place one extra star because of the location, but other than that the experience was probably one of the worst I've had. DO NOT use Priceline to book this hotel because you will be treated as if they are accommodating you because they have to, not because they want to.

Horrible customer service and rude people is my takeaway impression of this place.

Room Tip: Do not book through Priceline or you will get a dingy room with a queen bed, in a tower not connecte...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katie S
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am truly sorry that you had to have a unsatisfactory stay with here at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Yours in Hospitality,

Peter Komar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Top notch Staff. Facilities comfortable, bit dated on inside. Brand new exterior. Excellent location in Inner Harbor. Access to sports, shopping, eating, and various offices. Excellent pool/workout/sauna area. Eden West (hotel eatery and bar) GREAT specials (e.g. .50 wings on Mon., $12 Prime Rib Tues.) Sometimes they ran out of advertised specials. As with any place, there is somewhat questionable help from time to time(some kitchen staff as in the new male chef. Some GREAT help include (but not limited to) the following: Doug, Huebert, Hope, Julia, Rahul, Ricky, Ms Debbie (RIP), AND the guy in the pool area! Kudos and Praise. Very Good stay, Great Vist. Charm City is aptly named. Thank you HI, where the towels are so fluffy!

Room Tip: Good luck, mixed bag on rooms. Main tower is nicer and has better amenities than the annex tower.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking your time to review your home away from home.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. As your stay having been almost residential your comments will be taken to heart, and yours and future guest satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are pleased to know we were able to meet your needs during your stay here in Baltimore. Doug, Hubert, Hope, Julia, Rahul, Ricky and Nestor are great team players and work hard every day to make sure our guest’s feel at home by doing “ Whatever it Takes” .

We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your review, If your travels ever bring you back to Charm City , let us know we will keep the towels fluffy.

Best Regards,

Pacific Grove
Reviewed 30 September 2013

In Baltimore for a convention our party of 2 women very much enjoyed our stay here. Rooms very comfortable although a bit noisy due to the fire station across the street, (bring ear plugs). It must be noted that the bellman, Doug was such a help with all of our boxes when we arrived. He advised us on where to go for dinners, runs in the inner harbor, where not to go etc. He is a true professional and an asset to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for the review! Do is a great team player, asset and overall Rock star for our hotel. Our model here at the hotel is " Whatever it Takes" which means we like to provide exemplary service to ever guest by doing " Whatever it Takes" , Doug truly embodies that theory!

If your travels ever bring you back to Charm City, Please let us know, we would be happy to host you.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is my first time ever reviewing a hotel. The poor experience I had staying here has compelled me to do so. If you are a light sleeper, you should know this hotel is directly across the street from a fire station. Obviously this is no fault to the hotel. But also, the rooms have no blackout curtain, just a thin sheer one that lets in all the light from surrounding buildings. The room was VERY bright. I tried stacking pillows in the windows to block some of it out. The fridge is located right next to the bed and was noisy. The first night I got into bed, pulled the comforter up and noticed that is was kind of grimy looking. And then I noticed pink lipstick on it as well. This was clearly not washed. Completely uncool. I called down,explained and requested new bedding and was brought sheets and a blanket but not another comforter. I feel like more should have been done in this situation, perhaps a bit of a rate break for at least that night ( I was staying for 3). Unwashed bedding is totally unacceptable. I suppose the $200 a night rate (mine discounted to $145 for government rate) is reasonable for a central location, but makes these other issues (as well as no breakfast included) make it not at all worth this price. I was here for a meeting and a few other members of our group were disappointed as well. Staff was friendly enough, but just doesn't make up for other the other issues.

1 Thank KEW57
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience’s you experienced we did check you room and it did appear to have a black out curtain. I’m sorry you had a hard time finding it. There is no excuse for a stain on the comforter; I will review this with our Director of Housekeeping to see why it happened.

Sorry about the Fire Station too, sometimes a Downtown location can get all the noise of the city on a busy night. We regret the poor experience and service issues you have encountered during your visit.

We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests & this is crucial for us to address any issues that may come up.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor for a month for work. It is in a great location walking distance to everything you would want to get to. The hotel has a great staff of friendly, polite, attentive people. John and Sonika at the front desk and the bellman Doug specifically provided outstanding customer service on a personal matter that I brought to their attention. It was pleasant experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Baltimore!

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This is a safe and clean hotel only one block from convention center and Camden Yards. It is three long blocks to inner harbor, close enough to walk during the day. At night it would be better to be in a group for safety.

I would stay here again. It would be a perfect place to stay for a baseball game.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay and trip to the Ball game.

It is our goal here at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Zurich
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights with family. 2 Queens. Room was larger than another top hotel chain. Room was renovated and updated. Pool was clean and large for a city center! Underground parking was connected direct to hotel and well lit. Clean bathroom. Was one with toilet and bath so was a tight fit, but sink was outside so do-able for 4 to get ready quickly. Beds were very 'springy' and you feel every motion, but fine for 2 nights. There was a chair and table next to window and a desk with partial view of Camden Yards entrance. Breakfast was wonderful! plenty of choice, plenty of seating, always being restocked. Dinner was OK, not well stocked, there was a wait for crab cake, a dirty glass issue but the waiter discounted our bill for the trouble without us having to ask so ...the service from Reception to Housekeeping to wait staff that were upbeat, fast on their feet and very friendly the both days we were there! Thumbs up! The location is a few minutes walk to The inner harbor, Camden Yards and M&T which we did with a 4 year old no problem. No need for a car which was very convenient. Plenty of museums and activities within walking distance like the B&O train museum, Tour of the Orioles baseball stadium, Baltimore Science Center, National Aquarium, walking on the different ships and the submarine, and the dragon pedalboats in the harbor which were $18 for 1/2hr. Plenty of restaurants at the Inner Harbor. And can highly recommend the Water Taxis that you can hop on/off all day for $6 so you can go to Ft McHenry, Fells Point, etc. They were a huge hit with us. Very convenient. Will definitely book this one in the future when in town! Hotel had a store in it so if you needed anything after hours, it had milk, yogurt, cereal, juices, toiletries, papers, mags, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the Great review, we hope to host you again on your next visit to Charm City!

Yours in Hospitality,