“Nightmare on Baltimore Street”

Lord Baltimore Hotel
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Trenton, New Jersey
“Nightmare on Baltimore Street”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My friends and I decided to go to Baltimore for a bachelorette party. There were 5 people in our party. We booked our reservation on Expedia and contacted the hotel directly to make sure our special accommodations would be met. One member of our party is disabled and the hotel did make sure that our room was close to the elevator. Upon check in, we learned that the rooms are only equipped with two queen beds. We were told that a rollaway bed would be provided for our extra guest (which we paid an extra fee for). However, upon our arrival we were told that they did not have any rollaway beds available and that we would be put on a list for one. We arrived in our room and it was clear that there was no way 5 people could sleep in the room without the extra bed. So we returned to the front desk and spoke to a manager. He informed our party that the Lord Baltimore Hotel did not have rollaway beds on the property since the new owners took over. He said that while the property was a Radisson that those accommodations were available. I asked him how he could help us out with this issue, his solution was for housekeeping to bring extra blankets and pillows so that one of the guests could sleep on the floor! Are you kidding me, we are all adults. I was taken back by his solution. Due to the fact that there were several things going on this weekend, the manager informed me that the hotel was sold out. So even though we were unhappy with the situation we were stuck being guests at this hotel. So I figured if they cannot help with the issue that we should be compensated financially for their error. The manager suggested that I contact Expedia directly because they gave us inaccurate information. He reminded me that the hotel was not responsible for that error. I do not feel that your establishment should refer that issue to a marketing company when you have a customer in front of you that is unhappy. It should be the responsibility of your hotel to update Expedia and any other companies that help sell your rooms. Obviously customer service or support is not a priority for your hotel. The nightmare does not end here.

On our way out of the building we found a transportable bed in the hallway. I have included a picture of it below. Now I am really disappointed and frustrated with the lies that were told by the management and the lack of accommodation made for our party. Unbelievable!!!

Another issue that we encountered, I was told that there was a handicapped accessible taxicab available to take us from our hotel to the downtown Power Plant Live bar area and despite calling the front desk and requesting it 30 minutes in advance. When we came downstairs ready to get in the cab, we were then told that there was not a handicapped taxi available. All staff should be up to date on this type of information, and if there is a discrepancy a courtesy phone call should be made to the requesting party to notify them of the change in plans.

While we are on the front desk issues regarding transportation... I spoke to the front desk in advance regarding parking concerns. They explained to me that valet parking was going to $16.00 per night and when we arrived we were told that it was going to $31.00 per night as this fee is subjected to change due to the amount of activity going on in the Baltimore area. Are you kidding me? First of all the parking fee is obnoxious, but the worst part is that your staff communicates one thing and the reality is totally different. Again very disappointed with the level of communication amongst employees, management, and marketing sites. Upon check out, we waited 45 minutes for valet to bring our car to the front door. This amount of time would have been extended if I did not take the time to visit the valet stand 3 separate times to complain! The disorganization from the front desk, to the valet, to the management is truly astonishing.

After all of our terrible experiences with your hotel, I stopped at the front desk to get information for me to contact corporate or a high ranking official within the hotel. Instead of getting specific information, I was given this business card for me to write on this public forum. Again this missed the mark. I would really like to feel heard about all of the issues that we were confronted with on our stay at your hotel, instead I am left writing this complaint in a place where no one can respond.

I suggest that your hotel try to get it together, as you know that word of mouth is the best way to gain and maintain customers. Based on our experience I would not only avoid your hotel in the future, I would discourage others from staying on your property unless there were significant changes made in the customer service/problem management areas.

However despite all of our negative experiences at this hotel...I will give credit where it is due....The staff was exceptionally friendly from the bell hops to valet, management to front desk staff. The rooms were very clean, the hotel was decorated in a modern fashion, and it was not far from the inner harbor.

Signed a very dissatisfied customer...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JulietNJ55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at Lord Baltimore this weekend great hotel close enough to walk any where in inner harbor or take a nice walk over to fells point. Employees where very very nice and acomidating and bed and pillow's i would rate a 10 great nite of sleeping.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
LBH1928, Guest Relations Manager at Lord Baltimore Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. We are constantly looking for ways to enhance the positive experiences of our guests so that is why we are really thankful you took some time out of your busy life to write a comment here at Trip Advisor. Your comments will be shared with our staff, thank you. It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I will start by saying I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the hotel is after some of the poor reviews. But it was the only hotel left to book so we had to take a chance. The good things were the bar was nice, rooms were comfy and clean and just an overall nice atmosphere and great location to inner harbor and arena. The not so great things were the elevators were OLD and I felt like I was getting into the tower of terror elevators with all the creaking and awful noises but there is a sign saying new elevators are coming. Also beware of the shower! The water temp fluctuated horribly and we got scalded and froze!
Now the bad...after a mostly pleasant stay, we got a bill slid under the door for valet...$75 for a day n a half of parking. When we arrived later Friday evening it was hectic outside the hotel and dark and valets were everywhere and approached the car and we let them take it. There was NO signage anywhere stating the cost or that self parking was available. The valets never offered that info and neither did the staff at check in. When we approached them about the bill and us not wanting to pay the full amount because we were unaware it was such a high cost per day we were basically told that even though they "try" to inform guests of the prices it doesn't always happen and basically it's not their problem. Since I own a small business, poor customer service is a terrible peeve of mine and this left a terrible taste for me for this hotel. While the unexpected $75 charge did bother me, it was more the principle of the thing...do your job and don't be shady about it. On our way out of the city we noticed every other hotel had great signage explaining parking options and prices so then I really felt tricked out of the money. So basically if you use valet make sure you ask for prices and self park options because they would rather push you into thinking valet is the only option!
Unfortunately, I will not stay here again and will not recommend to others. There are a ton of beautiful hotels in the inner harbor area with better customer service.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. I sincerely apologize for the very unfortunate incident you experienced at our Hotel. Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments regarding your stay in our hotel. Rest assured the comments you made will be addressed in order for us to improve our services, we hope you give us a chance to serve you again. While it is very unfortunate that you said you will no longer stay here again, we sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future. Thank you for the opportunity to grow and improve more, we certainly hope to be of service to you again very soon. Please do consider us again on your next trip.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We came to see the Orioles play and visit the Aquarium, so we chose this hotel for its convenient location between the two. We didn't even need to rent a car because everything was so close. We are so thrilled with our stay we cannot wait to return. I am a fan of architecture, and the restoration was very impressive, beautiful and true to style. The service makes you feel as if you were the only guests, which was quite impressive because we happened to come when they were fully booked. One of the most memorable stays we have ever had! Looking forward to coming again. Oh- and the beds are super comfy!! :)

• Stayed April 2014
Congratulations and Best Wishes on your wedding! It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel. Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We're so happy to hear that you'd appreciate the restorations we had made on our Hotel. Our staff will be happy to read on your reviews as well and will make them more motivated, that's for sure. It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon! Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service. We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had a awesome time at the Lord Baltimore. The room was very nice, spacious, clean and cozy. The customer service was excellent. It nothing like walking into a hotel and everyone smiles at you as to say welcome. I also had the opportunity to meet Abraham, who is the Director of Operations. I meant several of the employees there and the names that I mentioned are the ones who stood out to me. Nick who is the bar tender. He knows his drinks. Shannon, the young lady who work in the French Kitchen was great. All of them provided me with the customer service that guests are looking for. I had an time and I look forward to sending many more guests there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. Thank you for finding the time to share about your stay. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. And I will for sure let our staffs read on your comment especially Nick and Shannon, they will be happy to read this. It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon! We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future.
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel last night for the Grand Reopening Gala. The room was fantastic. Very clean. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The food was Fantastic and the ambiance was even better. This hotel is very charming and worth the stay. I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank h0telguest2014
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit during our Grand Reopening Gala. Glad you'd found our Hotel - nice and comfy! It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service. Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 April 2014

How exciting to return to Baltimore and to the Lord Baltimore hotel. The newly refurbished rooms were wonderful and comfortable. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful, and overall amazing. I look forward to returning with a convention (IORG) in July.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Carolyn Y
LBH1928, General Manager at Lord Baltimore Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. It is good to hear that your entire stay with our newly refurbished rooms was comfortable and relaxing. Rest assured that your comments will be shared to our staff and we will be looking forward to your next stay to ensure that you’ll receive the same pleasant accommodations you’ve experienced in our hotel.