“Poor Service”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This hotel was booked for us through Priceline. When we checked in they put us all the way on the opposite end of the hotel with two double beds. When we went to the front desk to ask if we could be placed in another room, they said there were none available. At 730 in the morning the next day, the maids were outside our room laughing and carrying on with no consideration to the guest in the rooms. When I called guest services to complain about it I got the operators laughing about some thing and when they realized they had a guest on the line they hung up. When I told them at the front desk how disappointed we were with our stay, they did not seem to care. Just because you have a guest that uses Priceline should not diminish how those guest are treated. They are still paying customers and should be treated the same. This was the first time this has ever happened to us with a Priceline bid hotel. Very unfriendly and unprofessional staff. They need to go through training all over again.

Room Tip: Don't expect a 4-star service with this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcia J

Reviewed 26 June 2011

My daughter and I stayed here so we could could spend some time here and see the Inner Harbor. We could not have asked for more.

The room was wonderful. We had two double beds which was perfect since it was just the two of us. We could see the aquarium from the room when it was lit up at night which thrilled her to no end. It was all she could talk about! The location is very convenient as far as getting to the inner harbor. We didn't go anyplace else since I didn't have a car and don't actually walk too well, so I can't speak to location in regards to Camden Yards or Little Italy or any other area.

There is a mall connected to the hotel which is convenient if your forget something but also adds to a bit of foot traffic and makes getting around a little confusing. At least if you come in the wrong door and didn't realize you were in a mall :-).

All in all we had a wonderful stay and would definitely stay here again if we found a good deal. My daughter is already planning our next trip to the aquarium!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the aquarium!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2011

When I got great tickets to U2 concert, came to TripAdvisor to find a place to stay. Realized we had enough Marriott rewards points to stay here for the night, so booked it. When we pulled up, were met and asked if we wanted valet parking. Since we did, they unloaded the vehicle for us, took the car, and brought our bags to the front desk.
We were there a bit early (NEVER know what DC traffic will be) and I was a bit disappointed the room wasn't ready. BUT, they took our cell #, stored our bags, so we went across the street to the harbor. Found an Irish bar & grill and had great lunch -- we figured would be too hot at the stadium to eat. Just as we finished lunch, phone rang. Our room was ready! Then the surprise! Seems when we checked in a King room WAS ready, but the lady at the desk noticed we had been upgraded to a suite, which was why she had us wait.
OMG! The suite was huge! 8th floor, corner of the building, with views of the harbor! PERFECT!!! We had plenty of time to settle in and rest up before the concert.
Even though I am asthmatic and the heat index was 101 that night, my dh and I had no problems walking from the hotel to M&T Stadium. Even return walk to the hotel was great! MUCH cooler and the Baltimore police department were well prepared for the 70,000+ crowd! I don't enjoy cities, but I would return to Baltimore.
So, we get back to the hotel after 11pm, and they too, were prepared for the crowd. Was nice we didn't have to hunt for our room key to get into the lobby...they just kept personnel on duty for us.
Since our suite not only had king bed, sofa, chair and dining table (seating for 6, not just a little bistro area!), I ordered room service for breakfast. Food was great! I was sceptical when they said it would be delivered in 25 minutes or less. But in less than 20 minutes, we were enjoying a wonderful breakfast.
Really wanted some time to enjoy the harbor area and they had no problem with our car and luggage staying there until we were ready to leave. Enjoyed the aquarium, did some shopping, went back to that Irish bar and grill, then headed back to go home. Our car was out front already! Our bags were quickly delivered and placed in the vehicle and valet even helped us get out of the area!
Again, I don't care for cities. We usually stay in national parks areas or small towns. But with the treatment we received in Baltimore, I would return. Curious as to the price of that room!
Thanks to the TA Baltimore experts, we had a PERFECT stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I am from the area and this hotel was used because I was doing a job in teh downtown area and I didnt want to go home after ever long evening. So, I stayed here and I was not disappointed at all. The rooms were super clean and the value was pretty good. Depending on where your rooms was located depended on the view.

I enjoyed the downstairs area and the small bar for cocktails after 7. The Gallery is not what it use to be years ago but never the less its there for shopping.

They make you pay $12 for internet a day and that sucked.

Room Tip: Be Nice and ask
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Hotel was clean and price was not horrible. The waterfront restaurant is good, and the hotel is in a great location. Downside staff was rude at check in, and whenever you had a question they did not know the answer and offered no alternatives. Has business center but rips you off at 3 bucks per minute to use computer. Internet was over priced and for what you pay should be included.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Hotel is located directly across the street from the Harborplace shops and restaurants (including Hard Rock Cafe and Dick's Last Resort), the water taxi and right on the public bus lines. There is valet parking and underground parking for those who drive. The desk service is so smooth that it seems effortless. There is also a Starbucks Coffee counter and a lounge/bar with more than a dozen TVs.

The rooms are large with flat screen TVs, an easy chair and ottoman, a desk with a comfortable task chair, coffee/tea, in-room safe, mini-fridge with not a lot of space and a large closet. One "drawer-back" - not enough drawer space for clothes for more than a long weekend. The bathrooms are also large, nicely tiled, pleasantly decorated and well-lit. The King-size bed is a large overstuffed comfortable delight when you finally end your night after galavanting throughout Baltimore.

The only thing to watch out for is the elevator lobby that gets a little crazy when the function rooms are being used. I happened to be there for a formal dance (Prom?) and on the NCAA Lacrosse National Championship Weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors overlooking harbor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I have never traveled to Baltimore and I was searching for a good hotel near Camden Yards so that we could walk to the ballgame. There were several hotels in the Marriott chain which I love but none seemed close to places to eat etc. We chose the Renaissance Harbor since it was close to all the harbor attractions. The staff was outstanding and the hotel was always secure and safe with visible security people. My husband is a runner and was concerned about where he should run; the security guys were all about giving him a good 5 mile run thru the harbor area. This place was close enough to walk to Camden yards with the rest of us crazy Yankee fans. Just a beautiful hotel and locations

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple