“Impressed with corner suite”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was there for a wedding. Turned out there were 13 wedding parties staying there. Hotel is huge and the walk from the elevator to the room was a long way. Room made up for the walk. Since it was a corner room I didn't have the problem others commented, conversations and late arrivals. The doors do slam shut and did startle me a time or two. The city traffic was very noticeable in the room. The first night I had to use ear plugs but the second night was either quieter or I was more relaxed because i didn't seem to notice it as much. Bed was extremely comfortable. Did I mention how large the room was? Not sure how I lucked out but it was large room with a king size bed and sitting area with two end chairs and a sofa. Room also had microwave and refrig. I looked for safe/lock box but did not find one nor did my room have snacks for purchase as mentioned by another guest. Parking is $28 a night but I had no problem parking my Dodge Truck. Restaurant was pricey but I was lucky to get a table by the window and enjoyed the night view of the Inner Harbor, Domino Sugar, Rusty Scupper etc. I had the Baltimore Fries and Asparagus Salad and enjoyed both. I splurged on the Island Cake which would have been better had it been room temp and not cold. Location was very good. Glad I stayed there for the occasion but doubtful I will ever stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here for a work conference that was down the street, but I thought this hotel would be better given the proximity to the Baltimore attractions. It was very conveniently located and walking distance to museums, restaurants, the aquarium, and more. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. The downside is that the rooms are not sound proofed. We were staying there during a time they apparently had several groups staying for weddings (one in the hotel) and the guests came back from 12 am - 3:30 am two nights in a row being very loud and inconsiderate in the hallways on their way to their rooms (one group hung out in the hallway for a while). Even with a fan on in the room and sleeping on a bed away from the door, we could still hear every single word being said. It woke several of us up (who were all there for the same conference). This isn't the fault of the hotel--it was the guests--but the rooms could have been better designed to at least muffle the noise. The rooms themselves were just of average quality--nothing fancy, but all the basics were there and it would have been fine and comfortable were it not for the noise. The restaurant in the hotel is also very overpriced but that is usually true of most restaurant hotels. It's not a huge deal as there are tons of other restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank travbuddy_28
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We spent a weekend in Baltimore for my bachelor party. We golfed one day and went to Camden Yards the next. The hotel was very clean and very comfortable. Its location across from the Harbor and next to the mall was great as well. Most of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The door man was hilarious and very helpful with directions. I would stay here again without giving it a second thought. The only negative was probably the parking, they share the garage with the mall and it is very difficult to get a spot anywhere near the hotel entrance, and it was very expensive but you expect that in most cities.That isn't a make or break for me.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We reserved a room "with a block of rooms" for a wedding. Our group was sprinkled over the whole hotel which as a previous reviewer said "Is humongous in size" I was glad when the pleasant lady checking us in said "remember to turn left as we get off the elevator on our floor, or we would be hating her" It was still a long walk to the room.
The room was attractive, business like, ( as opposed to warm) . We had 2 queen size beds and there was plenty of space. Our windows looked out to a parking garage across a busy street. Yes, even on the 10th floor the sirens of emergency vehicles was loud. There was Hall noise, but I didn't hear noise from above or next to us.
Hidden in the credenza- dresser was a coffee maker, snacks (chargeable) and a small refrigerator, as well as a lock box, that I found as we were packing up to leave.
The marble counter in the bathroom had sufficient space to spread out. There was a thin ledge in the shower, to place personal items which would be convenient. I was shocked to see that the towel rack with fresh towels was inside the shower. I did check after my husband had a shower, and the others weren't wet, so guess the spray didn't soak them.
Parking was added to our bill $28 for the overnight. They allowed us 30 hours, according to the front desk. This is not a stop we would ever make again, but the experience was pleasant. We are travelers that usually chose a mid size hotel ( or smaller) that has a breakfast included. I could not imagine breakfast provided for this many travelers, as I heard the hotel was even over booked the night we were there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was here for a work conference.

Pros: Iron and iron board located in room - no need to call in to request them. Great food served during our conference (lunch and dinner). Quite big and spacious rooms. Great for those who like to go out for a run as it is right on the harbour - you cross the street and can run along the shore for quite a long time. This might sound weird, but their bed sheets felt so comfortable - I've never slept on sheets that were this coasy and comfortable ... quite a few of my colleges noticed this as well.

Cons: Hallways had an awful smell to them. Hotel is extremely big. Based on where your room is, you might be walking a few mins to get to your room. Hotel staff recommended a restaurant for us (group of 20). They sent us to a place (cant remember the name) that was way to over-priced for such a poor quality of food. Not one of us was impressed with this recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I only stayed here on a quick overnight so I didn't get to see much but it takes up a block in size with a central courtyard i.e. its four sides are lined with hotel rooms around the perimeter.
I got a 12th floor (top floor) room facing north with only a view of the streets. Not very impressive. Another colleague got a lower floor but facing the harbor, which I suppose is a little better but I'm not sure as I didnt see any view while there. They have doorman service, if you like service coming in and out of the building. Basement self parking for $26 -- and that is on top of your room rate which is kind of high. I would have, frankly done better in an outlying area as our conference was at Johns Hopkins, 5 miles away.
I asked how parking on the street was and they answer I got back made me wonder why I was staying there.
They have conference rooms and I suppose that's what brings the people in. But, we didn't use them.
Its not as nice as some Marriotts I've been at as it seems older. The rooms are fine but if you misread the sign, as I did, you can end up walking around 3/4 of the perimeter to get to your room when it would have been shorter going the other way. A diagram indicating where the elevators are and the room numbers would have been useful rather than a small sign with a jumble of numbers and and arrow signs. It was not a good welcome to the hotel.
The room however was pleasant and well appointed except for the ODD side/lamp table which, instead of being a cube, was like a pyramid with steps. Whats the purpose of that design? Not very functional. It was not as nice a room as Marriott usually presents though the bed was nice and plush.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view otherwise they will shove you into a cave in the back!