“Very nice for travel”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a work conference.

The Good:
The room was very clean and updated. The bed was comfy and the housekeeping service was great. My floor was very quiet, although I did notice that other floors were louder. Any request made (a microwave, more blankets) was fulfilled very quickly. The hotel is connected to a mall which I only discovered toward the end of my stay.

The Bad:
No continental breakfast which even the local Days Inn serves. Also in the business center, there was a charge for internet. I do not travel with a laptop and this really seemed to punish people who do not use internet on their phones. Also, the FedEx center is only open Mon-Fri, my co-worker had a package that needed to be picked up and it's probably still sitting there.

Overall, a good hotel. The location was very good for my purposes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,857)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here on a Sunday night in anticipation of taking some testimony from a witness the next morning. The hotel is quite nice and upscale, which one would expect since it's also expensive. My room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. All up to date, etc. It's definitely a business hotel. The restaurant was good, expensive, and white tablecloth - not kid friendly. But, since I was there by myself on business, with none of my kids along, that was just fine with me. If you're needing to be downtown, this is an excellent location. I picked it because it was walking distance from where I needed to be for my deposition the next morning. It appears to me that this is a big meetings/conventions type hotel as well. In fact, the night I was there, a national meeting of preachers was in the hotel. So, it wasn't too rowdy. Restaurant dress that Sunday night was all suit and tie, so keep it in mind. While my room did not have a harbor view, the restaurant did, and it was lovely. The drive from the BWI Airport was pretty short, too, and not complicated. Once your business is done, drive out to Ft McHenry and then eat near there on Locust Point at LP Steamers. Both are just a few minutes drive from the hotel.

1  Thank edwardsjbe
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I asked for a room with a view and got a wonderful view of the harbor. For me, this hotel had the best location for my conference at the convention center. It was located near the small eateries and the aquarium on the harbor and on Pratt St., but not far from the convention center. Just some small irritants, like no shampoo on arrival and only one cup for coffee, even though there were two of us. Otherwise, a fine hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was here on business so chose the hotel because it was only a couple of minutes walk from the office. It was a good hotel located on the harbour front so very convenient for the tall ships and aquarium, and there are restaurants around here though the better ones are probably a few minutes taxi/15 min walk away. It was a little noisy from the street outside but nothing too bad, and the room was large and well appointed. I was surprised that the toiletries provided were only shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap - no shower gel, though I found the same thing in a few other places I stayed so wondered if this was normal for the US. Either way it's worth knowing so you bring your own shower gel! I had to phone reception to ask if there was a hair dryer in the room; it was in a black bag hanging in the closet.

Breakfast was not included in the price of the room but my company was paying. When I sat down for breakfast I was given a menu and chose and when they came to take my order they told me there was also a buffet that I couldn't see from my table, but I had decided by that point what I was going to order and didn't bother changing my mind.

It cost 35 dollars to get here in a taxi from the airport if that helps anyone who is wondering! Wifi is charged at 13 dollars a day though there is free wifi in the lobby.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful; on the day I left I wanted to go to Charm City Cakes from the TV show Ace of Cakes, but had already experienced Baltimore taxi drivers not knowing where anything was (including Fort McHenry). So I asked at the front desk of the hotel roughly which part of town it was in, and the concierge (I think it was) gave me a map but also insisted on coming with me to talk to the taxi driver and making sure he knew where it was, which was a great help. Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel but can’t comment on the value as I was here on business and not paying myself.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My 7 year old son wanted to go to the National Aquarium for his birthday so booked a weekend in Baltimore for our family of 4. The hotel location is perfect, a 5 minute walk to the aquarium and convenient to all other attractions in and around Inner Harbor. However, there is nothing to do with kids in Baltimore at night (in November)! All of the museums and anything kid-friendly closes at 5 or 6. Luckily this hotel has a pool which is where we spent both evenings. That is about the only highlight of this hotel. We expected more amenities for the price, and that is even with a discount through AAA. The price of parking is outrageous. There is no free breakfast and the hotel restaurant is expensive. We ordered room service on the first night which seemed reasonably priced but the food tasted horrible. The walls of the hotel are paper thin. You can hear everything out in the hallways and I feel bad for those who stayed in rooms near us whenever my kids started crying, fighting, or screaming out of boredom. That could have also been out of a lack of sleep. We were very uncomfortable. My husband and I are used to sleeping in a king but we sacrificed for 2 queens so my son could have a bed and my daughter slept on a rollaway. Everytime she tossed and turned the thing creaked. The pillows were awful! They are tiny and feel like you are sleeping on basketballs because they get all bunched up rather than conform to your head. Finally, the room proximity to the elevators seemed like a mile. Took forever to walk to and find our room. Not only will I not stay here again but I will probably not visit Baltimore again. The aquarium and Maryland Science center were fun, but only took a few hours to explore. The rest of the time we were bored and now we're broke.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our organization held a business conference here recently. Travel from BWI was handled by Super Shuttle, since the hotel doesn't provide transportation. When I arrived at 11, I couldn't check in, since no room was available. They took my cell number, stowed my luggage and let me know it would be an hour. Three hours later my room was ready, but fortunately I had things to do for the conference. My room overlooked the parking garage, but was very, very clean. Wifi is extra, and so is the bottle of water next to the TV ($4). The room was warm, which I like and quiet, although I did hear some street noise which wasn't an issue. The room had a separate desk area as well as a small table and chairs. I was able to get a later checkout, and there's a kiosk for printing boarding passes. There's also an ATM in the lobby. One nice feature to this hotel is an adjacent 4-story mall. I used the gym twice; it was clean and the equipment was well maintained. There's a Starbucks right across from the elevator entrance that opens at 6:30 a.m. There are suites and rooms with views available.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Check in was smooth, easy. Being handcuffed to a hotel loyalty program has its benefits, as was given a large, beautiful harbor view room. Makes one want to stay and enjoy the room even more. Other reviewers mentioned the long hallways, not a problem for me, especially since I needed to walk off the excellent pastry offered at the 12th floor lounge starting at 7:30 pm. An italian, almond flavored, light cake - it wowed my jaded taste buds. There were other cakes and cookies, coffees, beers, teas, liquors, even liquers are offered. Earlier in the evening there was in the lounge an excellent salad, a chicken dish, fresh veggies, and Jiri, the lounge employee who provides unpretentious hospitality rarely seen in the stiff lounges I've been to. The lounge is also nice cause there are others around in an informal atmosphere, the food is handy, no waiting for order to placed and brought. There's a chance if interested to talk with others. Jiri has been at the hotel a while and knows his food and beverages. Hotel had a laundry room on the floor I was on - something I appreciate in hotels. Ok - if there were something to carp about - when I saw a little desiccated stuff in a ceiling fixture of the hotel elevator. The room service must be good and reasonably priced, there were a fair amount of trays outside room doors, but usually picked up regularly. Definitely glad I stayed at this hotel instead of others in the area.

Room Tip: Might as well commit to a hotel loyalty program and go for the gold or platinum or else upgrade for...