“Great Marriott with Inner Harbor location”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Washington, DC
“Great Marriott with Inner Harbor location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Several of us enjoyed a short overnight at this hotel for New Years. We had nothing but good experiences with the hotel staff. The check in was very kind and patient about finding a room that minimized travel time from elevators (more about that!) and generous with an early check-in, which was greatly appreciated. We had a room at the back and on the side of the hotel, which interestingly enough both offered glimpses of fireworks for folks not willing to go outside. They were also very kind with extended check out which gave us more time to enjoy the spot. (Also helped with the crowds checking out in the morning!) We had the privilege of using the lounge and like many lounges, it got pretty crowded at breakfast time, with very pleasant (overworked staff).

A little shout-out to fellow hotel customers – I cannot fathom why you can’t be appreciative of the service you receive in a concierge lounge. Why oh why must you complain? If you have useful feedback, head on down to the desk and have a conversation with management staff. It’s just obnoxious to complain to folks that clearly trying hard to please so many people. I DON’T GET IT!

For convenience sake, we wound up eating lunch at the hotel restaurant both days and thoroughly enjoyed our food. Fish and chips was pretty darn good, everyone who got that was pleased. Service was friendly and the restaurant was not busy when we were there, altho we ate pretty late both days. If everyone in the party was agile, we would have probably hit the harbor for a restaurant but we had no regrets on staying in. Also, it is a nice view of the harbor from the restaurant.
We thought the coffee shop in the lobby was really an open all day casual sandwich coffee kind of place. It appeared to be more of a bar/coffee shop that had limited hours. Check on this if important to you. I would like to see the coffee shop in the lobby open more with snacks, soda etc. available. It’s a nicely decorated little lobby. I would think guests would enjoy hanging out there.

Folks in our party used pool and hot tub. I think they closed around 10? Check on the hours if you want to use. By the time they got down there which was probably closer to checkout time (noonish), not quite so many kids. They enjoyed it. I used the gym. Kinda small, with 2 kids playing on 2 treadmills, but fortunately one was free. You do face out the window onto the street which is nice.
Mall – the hotel is in same building as a several level mall, which has stores and a little food court. You can only access the hotel from the lobby level. My understanding from chatting with security on the 4th floor of the mall is that there are ONE WAY escalators from the hotel (restaurant level) INTO the mall, but you can’t go up to the restaurant level.
The access to the hotel via skywalk is NOT what I gathered from the photos. The skywalk actually connects to a long (empty) hallway in the front of part of the mall. You walk across the street via skywalk, then go left inside the mall (empty hallway!) and wind up in mall, then you take an elevator down to the ground floor, and walk back into hotel and walk over to the hotel elevators. Steps wise, it’s a lot less walking to cross the street at the corner of the Renaissance.
Elevators and hallways are the aggravating factors here. There’s a bank of 4-6 elevators (but maybe only 4 go into hotel, the other 2 go to parking), which get very busy when everyone is moving at the same time – checkin, checkout, coming back from inner harbor from an event etc. The hotel has pretty long hallways, in a square shape. If you need to minimize walking, I’d recommend addressing that clearly in reservation/check in. We avoided big waits on elevators with the early check in and late check out, but clearly it’s a bottleneck situation. It wouldn’t chase me away, but I don’t know what they can do about it, other than maybe open up freight elevators rather than have guests wait crazy wait times?

All in all great stay. So, a thumbs-up in summary, just be prepared to wait on elevator.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ms.Travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for New Year's Eve to be close to the festivities and fireworks. Great location - walking distance to everything. Hotel room was clean and dispute it being full, was very quiet inside room. Staff were friendly and since temperatures were going to be below zero that, the hotel opened a meeting/events room for guests to view fireworks from inside to stay warm (room was also conveniently located very near bar). Parking was under hotel which provided clean, safe, covered parking. Highly recommend for terrific inner harbor anchor site.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Indiana, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

My company had its regional meeting here and not living near a major airport I had to drive. The coldest day in 20 years and I'm on my way to Baltimore... I've been coughing since Christmas (roughly three weeks) and not very happy to be away! This hotel's staff is so accommodating!!!! I checked in after 9 pm and from the valet to check in to our bell man.... Everyone wanting to be helpful. I couldn't even check in without coughing every other word... And our front desk guy and bell man couldn't have been more patient!!! So thoughtful from asking me if water would help my cough to getting me a room not to far from the elevator so I wouldn't have to walk to far! If you have to be away from home for work and not feeling your best this is the place to stay! Antwan (sorry about misspellings) Brooks at valet, Jerell at front desk, room service who heard me coughing my order for tea and rushed it without even being asked!!!! The best staff!!! You all are the best example of service with a smile and then some!!!!! There are even more staff that were helpful that I couldn't get everyone's name and I was only there for two days! As a owner at Ritz Carlton properties you guys could really teach them some service tips...and they are good too! Warmth and caring are just who you are! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! Marriott should really know how special you all are!!!
If you are staying in Baltimore you should never stay anywhere else!

My Sincerest Gratitude,

Paula Good

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This place was excellent. Very family friendly and still high class or fancy as our kids thought. Would stay again. Very close to everything. Lot of activities in downtown,close by, even in the winter months. Will be back for warmer weather.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This ain't the Four Seasons, but we were very impressed with the service and the overall look of this four star hotel. The room we had was large, clean, and had a minibar even though we didn't use it. The bed was comfortable and came with a nice selection of pillows. Parking was $40 valet or $28 self park and was heated which was nice as it was about 15 degrees outside that night we arrived.
This hotel is walking distance to many great restaurants in the inner harbor like, Charleston, Cingale, Lebanese Taverna, Talara, Ruths Criss, Pabu and several others we have eaten at in the past. For a quiet room try the ones overlooking the inside courtyard.

Room Tip: Inside rooms overlooking the courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

On January 4th, 2014 a doorman named Brian (tall light skin african american guy with facial hair) noticed i was struggling & offered me assistance. He recommended places to eat and party. He made me feel like i was having a conversation with a friend. He did not process me like a lot of the front desk and previous doorman have in the past. This experience really made my day and made me smile. Brian did not pre judge me because of my sexuality. His recommendations were great and i had a good time during my stay in Baltimore. I rate Brian's service a 10!!!!! Please make sure everyone know how great Brian was. I recommended a lot of my friends and family to your hotel after today!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Harborplace hotel has a lot of good aspects to it. It's location is stellar - right on Inner Harbor with a cross bridge accessing all of the main shops, aquarium, USS Constellation and restaurants. I had a great view across the CBD from my room and the bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and everything clean. The windows, however, are not very well sound proofed, so if you are sensitive to noise this could be a minor issue. There are some great shops attached to the hotel in a public shopping center, was great to walk out of the lift and get access to a small drugstore, food court and Starbucks.

One component that I did not like was the lack of free Wifi - in a modern hotel, this is really not acceptable. The charges were way too high and the free access in other areas was woefully slow and congested by other guests. I ended up buying it as it was covered by my employer but it really should have been included in the room rate.

The hotel bar also closes very early, be mindful of this.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business