“Very Good Experience”

Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Westfield, Indiana
“Very Good Experience”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is the third time at this hotel for an event--we were assigned a room on the concierge level but opted for one with a harbor view, instead of courtyard. Our mistake. Courtyard would have been quiet, harbor view also had busy, noisy street. Other than that, exceptional hotel. Clean, quick to service, very comfortable bed. Concierge lounge has good breakfast and dessert in eve. All staff very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: even high harborview side will have noise from traffic on street between hotel and harbor shops
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was my first time to Baltimore and it was a great experience at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was very nice and had a pretty good view considering we didn't have a harbor view. It is located in a great location, everything nearby. The folks at the front desk were extremely helpful. If I ever come back I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt T
Ames, IA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I underestimated this hotel, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. My wife and I stayed here the weekend before Thanksgiving to attend a large conference at the Convention Center.

Our room was not ready on time, but the reception desk did try their best to accommodate us while we waited (about an hour and a half).

Our room was a king suite facing the harbor. My only complaint was that they covered up the view with a large screen TV, which could easily have been positioned a bit to the side without interfering with the view of the TV or the view of the harbor.

But you cannot argue with the view even with the large TV blocking part of it. We loved looking out our window at the activities and people in the Harbor, including a spectacular and humorous children's troupe of dancing Santa Clauses that came to entertain the crowds.

The room had a large table that could seat about 8, and was ideal for meetings or for dining. It had a great bathroom.

Best of all is location. It is aptly named: Harborplace. It also was close enough to the convention center (2-3 blocks) that we could walk leisurely to and from there. Many bus routes stop by the hotel, which can take you many other places in the city.

It is connected to a mall, where my wife, who suffers from backaches and hip pain found a great accupressure masseuse. She virtually experienced a rebirth after that session. You can also walk across a skybridge to another mall across the street at the Harbor, and there we found two great burger joints.

We ate at the Watertable, the hotel's restaurant, which had great breakfasts and spectacular views of the harbor. Dinner was also pretty good.

My only regret is that I did not see more of Baltimore. But if I come back, I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Specify a harborview room if you want a good look at the harbor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Upon arrival the desk clerk informed us that we were "upgraded" to a harbor view room. We were excited until we saw our room, #11006. The room had a great view of the harbor and was large with a BIG conference table, a sofa, and a tiny, probably Full size Murphy bed (yes a bed that you can fold up into the wall) as well as a twin roll away bed. We immediately called down to the front desk and were informed that the bed in the room was supposedly "bigger than a queen" but that we could downgrade to a queen bed in another room if we wanted. Unfortunately we stayed in the room and believe me the bed wasn't bigger than a queen and in fact wasn't even a queen. So we had 2 things against us when we tried sleeping. First the small uncomfortable bed and second the constant emergency vehicle traffic at all hours of the day and night down Pratt Street. If you aren't a deep sleeper don't even think about getting a room with a Harbor view. Even my husband who is a deep sleeper had trouble sleeping with the sirens. The staff at the hotel were great and everyone was very helpful and friendly. Upon checking out of the hotel one of the staff recommended we take the Lincoln Towncar (which was already at the hotel) to the airport for a flat rate of $35 which is about the same we paid for a taxi from BWI to the hotel. I highly recommend you do the same as the car is much nicer and the driver isn't a crazed taxi driver trying to rush to his next fare. Overall the location of the hotel is fantastic, directly across the street from the Harbor and the Aquarium and connected to a mall which does have a McDonalds on the fourth floor which opens at 8 AM.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 11006 and from harbor view rooms unless you enjoy listening to sirens all night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I do apologize that the upgrade to one of our executive harborviews did not work well for you. While the view of the Inner Harbor, especially at night, is beautiful, a courtyard view room is away from the noise of the city. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the attached mall and the other attractions directly across from the hotel. Thank you again for all of your feedback. We hope your future travels bring you back soon.

Pamela Saleh
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I travel to Baltimore for business often and always stay at this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean, the staff is very friendly, and the location is ideal. If you are looking for meeting space, their rooms are awesome. Many have beautiful views of the harbor.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed in several Marriott properties around Baltimore, and this is not my favorite. I would definitely look into the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront or the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards before this property. Both are lovely (particularly the Marriott Waterfront), and have similar proximity to the Inner Harbor.

The Pros:
The location can't be beat, if you are looking to stay within the Inner Harbor area. It is literally across the street (and aptly named!). Also, the hotel staff are beyond gracious. The doormen, bellmen, front desk, and even the housekeeping staff were polite and welcoming.

The Cons:
IT'S SO LOUD! The windows and walls were paper thin. I expect a little "city noise", but not as if I were in the midst of it. And, if you have the luxury of a view (we were upgraded to a view of the parking garage out back), you also get to hear the cannons of the USS Constellation across the street. At 8am, folks. We were on the concierge level, and the building above the hotel (it's a weird configuration) is also doing some renovation, so we were awakened at 6:30am during the week by a jackhammer going into our ceiling. Good times.

The rooms are OK sized, but nothing remarkable. It seemed like the bedding didn't really fit the bed well, and the beds themselves weren't terribly comfortable.

The hotel is also huge. When we were given our room assignment, the front desk attendant asked if anyone had mobility problems (?!) because the walk to our room was (and this is a quote) the equivalent of a 2 city-block walk. We didn't have any problems with that, but I can see where this might be problematic for anyone with any mobility issues.

Finally, and I cannot emphasize this enough, the food is awful. I ate a couple of times at the Watertable restaurant, and both the food and service were terrible. Congealed and separated "smoothie shots" during the breakfast buffet, a chicken breast sandwich that took 1/2 hour to cook (with 2 other tables in the entire restaurant). It was a mess. Just skip it. And the food in the concierge lounge wasn't any better, FWIW.

In all, find somewhere else to stay. For a room this costly, you can find something worth the expense elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view; otherwise, it's a lovely view of a parking garage.
4 Thank Eknels
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback. I have reviewed your comments with the management and staff of the hotel. While I was happy to hear that you found our staff and location directly across from the harbor satisfactory, I was disappointed to learn that noise from the street and the restaurant among several other things were not to your liking. Again, thank you so much for your review. We rely on your feedback to make improvements where needed.

Pamela Saleh
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was here for a week for a conference. My view was of a parking garage, i would suggest at check in requesting a room with a view of the harbor. I was unable to sleep at this hotel. There was a lot of noise from the streets and walls seemed pretty thin in addition the beds were kind of hard. The walk from the elevator to my room was far but that didn't really bother me. The bathroom was ok but my shower didn't drain. What I LOVED about this hotel were the Aveda products and the towels. The Aveda products were a plus for me, usually a hotel cheaps out on shampoo and conditioner. The towels were so awesome I was going to inquire how much it would cost to buy one. The location of this hotel is a real highlight. You are right across the street from the harbor, there is shopping and restaurants right there. I ate at phillips which is a couple blocks away. They have a happy hour that is crazy, I think it was 4-7pm and they had $4 apps and beer. I had the calamari and it was really good! I also went up in the world trade center to the lookout at the top. That was really neat and for $5 it was worth it. Another positive note for the hotel was the maid service here. They did my room every day and left me more aveda products and that also helped my rating of this hotel. The pool area and hot tub were very nice and the fitness center was somewhat impressive for a hotel, 8 treadmills, a few ellipticals, bikes and other machines. The view when working out was nice and each machine had its own tv. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: get a view of the harbor