“Ideal Location”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here before and after a cruise and had good stays each time. The second time we stayed we had a room that looked onto the street at the rear of the hotel and we did get a fair bit of siren noise compared to no noise at all from a room that overlooked the gallery. The rooms are clean of a good size and the staff were very helpful. It's location is a real plus, so close to all the restaurants of the inner Harbor and only $10 max in a taxi from Penn Station.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here for a wedding on the weekend of April 10, 2014. The hotel is easy to find. The lobby is very nice. It was a bit crowded as there was a congregation in the lobby of a bunch of suits arriving for a pharmaceutical convention. Check in was seamless, though a bit different from what I'm accustomed to. I'm used to getting a printout to initial, showing my rate, etc. All I received was my room keys. I wasn't even asked to see an ID? Service overall was pretty good. The hotel is a bit underwhelming. You have to walk a long way to your room if you aren't close to the elevator, making it a bit difficult when carrying many, heavier items. You weren't allowed to use a cart without the assistance of a worker. I wasn't interested in tipping considering the $147 I was already paying to stay there on a government rate, which, by the way, didn't include wireless internet (12.95 per day) or any kind of breakfast or drink or anything. Parking is another $28 per day. I was charged $149 on my bill for my rate. I e-mailed Marriott and received a quick response from hotel management, to which I give them credit, telling me the $2.00 + tax would be refunded, as well as the potential to have the wireless fee waived if I stay again, which I doubt I will. Location was great, right across the street from the harbor (probably why the rate is so high). I was also told by management that their internet and parking fees are comparable to their competition. I can't confirm or deny as I didn't investigate this prior to staying since this was the hotel of choice of the bride. The most concerning thing to me was I took my kids to the pool and there was a lot of mold growing on the walls above the pool, around the windows above the pool, as well as significant paint peeling and damage that was in need of repair. Hotel management said that my concerns would be forwarded to engineering. I was also displeased with the carpeting in my room as it was literally filthy, with stains all over it. I forgot to mention this in my comment e-mail. it desperately needs a steam cleaning. I stayed on the 11th floor and I could hear so much noise from the traffic below that I may as well have been on the 1st floor. This hotel needs some clean up and some renovations and I could see my rating increasing slightly. Overall, it was very average and I felt, overpriced, for what I got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your weekend stay. I can assure you that the issues you brought to our attention prior to this Trip Advisor review regarding the pool and guestroom carpeting were acted upon immediately.

We rely on your feedback to help us improve our service. Thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings.

Pamela Saleh

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We come from Scotland and stayed in this Hotel on 5th April to 8th April 2014. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Beautiful view from our room in fact it was one of the finest rooms we have ever stayed in. Great location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I'm certainly not a world traveler but have been to quite few hotels in my life. From the time we pulled in at the front door there were things that affected our stay. When we told the bellhop we had limited luggage and did not need their assistance and did not want valet parking we were told we could not even stop at the front door. We had to immediately move our car to the parking lot. Waiting for the elevator back to the lobby took forever as only one elevator was operating.
I had booked our room in advance. There were three adults in our party so I assumed (wrongly) that we would at least get two queen beds. Unfortunately you could not pick your choice of bed when booking online and when we checked in we were told all rooms were booked and we had one king bed.
The place was packed with at least one large convention and a large number of cheerleaders or dancers running around the place. To make matters worse only one or two of the elevators worked during our stay. At times there were upwards of 75 people waiting for the elevator (s).
If you know you were going to be this busy you have to be bettered prepared.
The room had no safe which in this day and age should be standard. No free wifi in the rooms. Then when it was time to check out I tried to use a luggage cart. I found out the cart could not be used by the guests. I was told that only a bellhop was allowed to use the cart. I found that amusing as the day we checked in a cart sat outside the elevator unattended for hours. Did a bellhop,who makes his living using those carts, leave it there?
I will say the room was nice. It was clean as expected.
All in all a very unsatisfactory stay!

1  Thank Steve H

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the numerous issues you encountered that resulted in a disappointing stay. We do charge for WiFi in our guestrooms but it is free in all public space throughout the hotel. I also apologize that we were unable to guaranty your room type when you booked your room. The hotel was sold out of queen/queen rooms.

Thank you again for all of your feedback and for allowing us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings.

Sincerely
Pamela Saleh

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel is directly across from the Baltimore Inner Harbor and even has a skyway across the main road. The room was huge and clean! And to my surprise the windows cracked open so we could have some fresh air. The bathroom was really spacious and nice and offered Aveda products, which is definitely a bonus. There was a nice size flat screen tv. The hotel also had an indoor pool which I was aware of until checkout. We were on the 8th floor which was nice, got a great deal on priceline. Check in was fast. Parking was $28/day for self park. Right across the street was the paddle boating, Hard Rock, Baltimore Aquarium, Phillips Seafood. You really could not ask for a better location. Kids LOVED the hotel. No complaints at all.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have been staying at Renaissance hotels well before Marriott took them over. As such, I expect a certain level of service and amenities from their hotels. In this stay, they fell woefully short.

We were put in a room without a safe which was missing from where it should have been. There was no hair dryer. In the morning when we discovered this, we called down to the front desk and they said one would be sent up. Luckily, my wife decided not to wash her hair when one did not arrive right away. When we came back to the room in the afternoon there still was no hair dryer. We told the housekeeper and she called it in. When, after some time had passed and the dryer didn't show up, we asked her again to call and it finally arrived.

Other than the above, the hotel was up to Renaissance standards. The location was excellent. The hotel bar was convenient and stayed open until around 1:00 am. The restaurant was very good. The room, other than the missing safe, was up to par, clean and quiet. The air conditioning in the "econ" mode was quiet enough to allow a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WaialaeNui
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you so much for choosing the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel and for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous location and got to unwind in our lounge. I do sincerely apologize for the delay in delivering the hair dryer to your guestroom. Please know that this is not the type of service we typically provide our guests. Again, thank you for your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings.

Sincerely
Pam Saleh

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night on business. The rooms and common areas are in great shape. Love the fact it is across the street from the Inner Harbor attractions. Breakfast at the main dining room on 5th floor was excellent and reasonably priced. Would definitely suggest this place for a long weekend visit during the warm weather months.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business