“"The worst Place to be"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
“"The worst Place to be"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was my first experience at any Marriott property.

Nobody attended to i and my luggage when i got to the hotel. I had to struggle with it from the cab all the way to front desk, only for the front desk lady to sarcastically ask me DO YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR BAGS. Got to the check-in desk and my worst nightmare started. The lady i met was practically screaming on-top of voice. If i wanted the world to know my private details, i would have gone to a radio station.

My room on the executive floor had no view and when i requested for a change of room, i was treated with discord. And there was no internet. Then i decided to leave and NOBODY deemed it fit to ask me why. The front dest staff was happy to check me out even though he saw i was only checked-in for 20mins. iF THAT WASNT CREEPY CUSTOMER SERVICE then i don't know what else to call it.

I took a cab to the Hilton on West Pratt street, immediately my cab stopped, the porters had my bags, even though i didn't have any reservation with them or pre-arranged my arrival. My check-in was seamless, even without a reservation.

4 Thank Chima N
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor. I do sincerely apologize for the numerous issues you encountered. The poor customer service is unacceptable and certainly not indicative of the service we provide our guests. Please know that your review has been shared with our management staff.

Again, thank you for your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings.

Pamela Saleh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Location is great for walking the harbor or up the street to Camden Yards to catch a game. Easy walk to most of the downtown businesses. Good coffee shop downstairs with a Starbucks a stones throw away as well.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance the last week of May 2014. During check-in, we were told that a $200 charge would be put on our debit card for any extra charges there may be by the end of our stay. This was a shock because it was completely unexpected. This was never done which we were thankful for. There were a couple of things that should be noted. The refrigerator in the room was not the typical ones you find in hotels/motels. You could stand drinks up in it but it was not deep enough for much else. Also, I must warn you to pay close attention to your final billing. We too were charged for the bottled water in the room. WE DID NOT USE IT but a charge was made to our debit card for $4.24. This amount would not break us but if you times that by 200 unsuspecting people that would be over $800. Someone is making a lot of money from this. I called the hotel and talked to a very nice woman. Sorry, I can't remember your name but thanks for your help. She said she would see that it was credited back to our account. Since I just had this conversation with her a few min. ago, there has not been time for this to be corrected. Don't be afraid to call them about this issue if it happens to you. They can't do anything unless you call them. No matter how small the amount is give them a call.
I would like to suggest that to avoid this problem don't put water in the rooms. Let it be available only to those that request it. We brought water with us from Tennessee and yes in our luggage on the plane.
This hotel was within walking distance to the areas we visited. We had a nice stay and would stay here again if we ever went back. The room was comfortable. Free WIFI was available in the lobby to use but not in the rooms which would have been nice.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor where the pool was. If you want to sleep at night, I would suggest a floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C R
Wakefield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed in this room for one night. The one positive thing is: the room is nice, clean, modern. But here are the downsides:

- Front desk staff is unhelpful!! I checked in with one of the supervisor who mentioned that the room is pre-paid because I stayed here under a company's invitation and I just need to leave my Card for security deposit. When I checked out, the front desk lady said the charges has been made under my Card but NOT the company card and NOTHING can be done. I spoke to the same supervisor again the next day and he said he no longer can see the reservation detail since it is in "history" folder. Now I have to deal with their accounting and the company who invited me. EXTREMELY frustrating when there is no ownership whatsoever in regards to the validity of the information that was passed to me when I checked in and just keep simply passing the issue to different people

- Second negative for this hotel is the noise. I stayed on the 8th floor and I could have swear it feels like I was no higher than being on the third floor

To summarized, Renaissance typically has a higher standard than the Holiday Inn and those alike but this one is on the low end side when it comes to customer service.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor as possible!!
1 Thank Sunshia Y
Hello and Thank you for your review. My apologies for the problems during your stay. Thank you for allowing me to contact you directly as we work to resolve the issues involving your credit card.

Pam
Little Falls, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Like most others who have reviewed this hotel, I too visited the busy Renaissance for a conference in May 2014. Due to the high number of conferences that I observed during my visit, I'd say to avoid this place at all costs if you're not planning on attending a conference as you'll probably find it quite off-putting.

The hotel is very large and was happy to accommodate my early check in (something extremely nice when arriving for business travel). I was told that my room would be approximately two city blocks from the elevator. Was it really? Because I didn't notice. The room was well appointed and the bed very comfortable. I had an inside view of a courtyard but I heard that rooms with a harbor view are the place to be! Aveda products in the bathroom, well done.

The location is perfect - right in the middle of everything -- unfortunately it was raining when I was in town but you're right across the street from the inner harbor shops, restaurants and the aquarium. You're also very close to Camden Yards and if you really don't want to put any effort into exploring, you are connected to a pretty decent mall right from the inside of the hotel (no outside exit required).

All in all a pleasant stay but the first of two low points of my stay would have to be my encounter with the FedEx Office office that's in house at the hotel. It may be unfair to mention this as they're not technically the hotel but since they are inside, I had to mention. I queued a print order while I was on the train on the way into Baltimore. Unfortunately, what I did not know is that when selecting certain FedEx office locations the price JUMPS (not a hop, a jump) due to the fact that they are 'premiere convention locations.' Well, silly me for not knowing because the folks at the store made me feel inferior because i'm not in 'the community' of convention planning. Lame.

Next up on the not so fabulous was dining at the restaurant in the hotel - the Watertable. While it boasted a very nice view of the bay (well, I would imagine its beautiful when it's not raining) - the portions were small, pricey and overall forgettable. If you do happen to dine, avoid the Rockfish on the 'Light Mains' as its so light you'll probably need a second meal before you go to bed!

Room Tip: Harbor-view is the place to be! If you have trouble walking, ask for a room closer to the elevators
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jennifer_0290
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed here on business because of the location. This is my first Marriott hotel (I'm a Hilton girl) and it'll probably be my last. The room was a king bed for $279/night. The hotel has an upscale feel but don't be fooled because I've had better service and amenities at a Hampton Inn. Nothing is free here. The internet will cost you. No free breakfast. They even leave you bottled water in the room for $4 a bottle. The hotel is a square design with rooms on the outside and the elevators on the inside. My room was located what seemed like a long, 10 min walk from the elevators. If you choose to stay here ask for a room near the elevators. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance from a bunch of shops and restaurants. There's also a mini-mall attached to the hotel which I've never seen before. The lobby (which smells like a tanning bed salon) has a bar and a coffee bar. This wasn't my worst experience but I'm having a hard time thinking of something positive to say.

Room Tip: Ask for room by the elevators
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to hear you found our location convenient. The 4 level Gallery Mall connected to the hotel is an added bonus! I'm sorry you were disappointed with the lack of amenities such as breakfast and internet. Our select service properties such as Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn typically include these amenities. Full service hotels at this time do not. We do have complimentary internet in our public spaces. If you do choose to give us another try, please contact me directly. I am happy to a arrange a room closer to the elevators for you.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

410-547-1200
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This 12 story hotel is located across street from inner harbor and is convenient to restaurants and other attractions. Parking is either $40 with valet or $28 self park. The only difference is whether you park or valet parks vehicle. Both have in and out privileges. This hotel is built in square design around center courtyard with elevators in the middle. The problem with this design is that there was a really long walk to our room. At check in and check out there was long wait for elevators. I have mobility issues and had requested another room closer to elevator but was denied because hotel was full. Suggest requesting room closer to elevator on 11th floor harbor view. The 12th floor is the Marriott Rewards floor and club lounge. There is a restaurant on the 5th floor and coffee shop on first. Rooms are large with comfortable bed and nice linens but walls are paper thin. You can hear everything from hall and visa versa. Overall average rating because of long walk to room, paper thin walls but great location with large room and comfy bed.

Room Tip: Suggest room on 11 the floor. Try to get room close to elevator or expect long walk
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello and thank you for reviewing your stay on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your spacious guestroom and comfortable bed. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to provide you with a room closer to the elevators. If you return for a future stay please contact me directly prior to your arrival. I will be happy to pre-arrange a room that better suits your needs.

Thank you again for your feedback.

410-547-1200