“Imagine my unpleasant surprise when I arrived at this Hotel!”

Home2 Suites by Hilton Baltimore Downtown
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
New York
“Imagine my unpleasant surprise when I arrived at this Hotel!”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I got bumped from the Hilton, Inner Harbor, and instead they offered me.... the Home 2 Suites. Same price, but a world of difference. It just looked like a local, seedy joint where undesirables might hang out. The Front Desk staff were ok, not overly friendly, but not bad. Nasty, small elevator and really ugly rooms. The bedspread and linens were so wrinkled I was afraid to sleep on them. I put things over it, so that I wouldn't have to let it touch my skin. To add insult to injury, they wanted to charge $25 a day for parking. I was already paying almost $170 a night for the dump! Be very careful! Just because it has Hilton attached to it doesn't mean it meets the standards of most Hiltons.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank NewYorkRmack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Telford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Clean hotel and very friendly staff. We traveled with our 6 month old and it was great! The hotel is not too far to walk to the Inner Harbor, and when we did not feel like walking, the Charm City Connector (free shuttle) has stops right by the hotel, we hopped on and went to town. The kitchen (fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and sink) in the room was great for washing bottles and keeping the baby food cold. It was nice to be able to store leftovers from dinner too in the fridge. We used the hotel crib (pack and play) and it was very new and clean. The breakfast in the morning was just ok, bagels, yogurt, etc - but it was free, and that works fine for us! We would definitely stay again with our litle one. One thing to note though - the bathroom has a stand up shower (no bathtub), so we had to bathe the baby in the sink. Not sure how to handle if the baby was too big for sink and was not able to use the shower yet (just a tip for those traveling with slightly older kids).

Room Tip: I recommend using a king size bed suite if you will need a crib in the room.
1 Thank Leslie T
North Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Great value - clean, updated. Great for families with children. There was a fold out bed in our room. Nice to have a small kitchenette. The staff was attentive and patient with our little one.

Arlington
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I spent one night (10 April) at this hotel to be nearby for an early morning appointment. When I arrived the exterior looked like a youyh hostel or a homeless shelter wpeople milling around outside the front door. The check in went well, the clerk was pleasant and helpful. The one way street outside was full so I had to use "valet" parking. My room was almost clean, the bed/bedding was clean but the floor was in need of vaccuming and it was not stocked with towels. The longer I stayed, the more I noticed. I found jelly beans, shredded paper and crumbs in various areas of the room. As I checked the bathroom I found hair from previous occupants in the shower. Luckily for me, I carry Lysol disinfectant cleaner in my bag. During the night I heard what sounded like garbage trucks and other noises throughout the night. Checkout was an unpleasant experience with a confused and frazzled young trainee working the front desk apparently alone. Other employees were out searching for cars that had been "valet parked", previously. At that time I was told that I should have called 30 minutes before I needed my car. As I waited I watched kitchen staff/cooks(?) come to the lobby to hang out. One look at their clothing and hair and I was so glad that I had not partaken of the "free breakfast". I do realize that this may have been a "one time" situation but I will think twice about staying at this particular location.

Room Tip: Make sure the parking lot is not below your window.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MsVerde
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2012

A good value. Updated and clean. Near many attractions.
Breakfast could use a little more variety but still a good feature to have.
Nice and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Choose a doom on a higher floor to avoid traffic noise. 8+
Yucatán, México
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is geared to the business traveler, although the kitchen facilities in each room make it attractive for anyone not wanting to be dependent on restaurants for all meals. A basic breakfast (yoghurt, breads, cereal, juice and coffee/tea) is included in the reasonable nightly rate, and there are a variety of ethnic choices very near by when a restaurant is preferred. Wifi is included, and charging your mobile devices is easy with the outlets built into the desk lamp. The lighting is well thought out, and you can comfortably read in bed, a rarity in hotels.

For those on a longer trip or staying an extended time in Baltimoe, there is a laundry room and a common room where you could have a small meeting or visit with friends.

One caution- as a woman traveling alone, I was not comfortable with the neighborhood after about 7PM. The hotel appears to have good security, but walking back from the harbor area or even nearby convention hotels did not feel entirely safe. This caution is more about Baltimore than Home2 however.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cascade, Maryland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Home2 is a newer Hilton chain, with reasonable rates and individual ownership. Having stayed in several other all-suites hotels I found Home2 to be exceptionally warm and intimate - not a cold, corporate-feeling place at all. As a woman staying alone I am always conscious of the security and feeling of safety in hotels, and here I felt completely comfortable. The entire staff, including management, front desk, housekeeping and shuttle drivers, was friendly and supportive as I "commuted" to Johns Hopkins Hospital daily during my husband's heart surgery and post-op week. The parking situation is difficult, due to the location, but valet parking is offered and on-street paid parking is available as well. I left my car in the Hopkins garage and used the hotel's complementary shuttle each day. I was offered a discounted Hopkins rate on my room, which was delightfully un-fussy (no faux-art or foolish frills), with a very nice galley kitchen, king bed, free wired or WiFi Internet connection, and excellent soundproofing. It was meticulously clean, and with a charming view toward Mt. Vernon Place in historic Baltimore. The bed was fabulous, and I am fairly particular about beds. All in all, if the surgery of one's spouse can be made less stressful, Home2 managed to do so. I am grateful to the staff and to the management of Home2 Downtown Baltimore.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing uptown - the view is nice and it is quiet on the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo