“Nice stay, needs some TLC”

Historic Summit Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of June 13-15. The check-in and out process was easy. The staff was courteous and nice. This was our second time staying at the hotel. The room had two double beds and a pull out sofa for our family of five. I would rather have had two queen beds but that was not available. The room was a nice size and had an analog TV, would be nice to have digital. The wi-fi worked pretty well, only dropped a few times but we did have 5 devices connecting to it. The wall paper had some tears in it and the dry wall looks like it needs repaired in a couple places. The hotel advertises an outdoor pool but it is not open yet and will not until sometime in July. The indoor pool is nice. The hotel has a great porch with wonderful views and a nice gathering area in the foyer. The bar is nice but only has two options on tap. We ate breakfast twice at the hotel and the food was very good but a little pricey. The beds were comfortable enough. The food options around the hotel are very limited.

This hotel has improved since the last time we stayed. It has a great atmosphere and a lot of potential. They need to do some minor repairs to the room, finish the outdoor pool, and update some amenities such as the TV and the beds.

We were a little concerned when we checked in because a wedding reception was happening on Saturday. The reception did not interfere with our stay and we did not notice any disruptive noise.

Overall it is worth a stay and could be a gem with some upgrades.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank KevinS S

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Summit Inn at Farmington, PA is a lovely, rustic, vintage piece of history set atop a mountainside on a large piece of acreage with wonderful views. Old fashioned verandas provide a cozy place to sit, chat and take in the scenic views. One can almost imagine the days when horse-drawn carriages pulled up to the porte cochere and individuals of means and prominence disembarked at what must have been an elegant inn in its day. The place retains its rustic charm with the pictures and antique elements reminding guests of its once rightful place as an inn of status.
We stayed because the inn is located a relatively short distance from Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob homes. There is ample parking; rooms are comfortable, amply appointed with an included, cook-to-order, ample and delicious breakfast. Staff was courteous, friendly and attentive. If we were to return to Farmington, PA I would not hesitate to spend another night or two at this historic inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

For my birthday today we were the first people to rent the treehouse at the Summit inn
The ride up in the golf cart was enjoyable our 9 year old grand son thought this was the best part
A very nice relaxing evening good food, neat view and cool treehouse

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Larry B
Amanda V, Owner at Historic Summit Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We're so happy we were able to be a part of your birthday celebration! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is one of those old grande dame hotels where people used to come to stay for months. My husband and I stayed here years ago (pre Trip-Advisor! Pre-internet I think) and the place needed help. I am pleased to say it has gotten some - but I wish it could have some more attention in the guest (non public) spaces.

The only part of my experience I can be very critical of is the reservations process. I requested our reservation prior to the hotel opening for the season via a "contact us" form on the web site. I never heard back. I called the hotel one month after opening and made the actual reservations. I asked about the lack of response to the web inquiry and the response was "Oh, that form never gets to us." When making the room reservation I made a dining room reservation at the same time. (Or at least I thought I did, more about that later.)

Making the room reservation was painless but not personal.

Five days prior to our arrival I got a voice mail asking us to confirm our reservation. The voice on the message was difficult to understand, appeared to have no knowlege of our actual stay, and no call back number was left. Why should a guest have to do the work of looking up the phone number? When I did call back, the reservationist seemed only interested in getting me to agree to visit the casino. When I mentioned that I was travelling with minor children (which the hotel should have known since I told them this when I made the reservation) the offer was dropped and the call was ended ubruptly. (It seemed she could not get off the phone with me fast enough.)

This intial encounter made me nervous about what the level of service would be on arrival.

Thankfully, the welcome at check in was 180 degrees removed from the reservation process. The staff was gracious. Our details were quickly confirmed and room keys provided. The only missing link - our dinner reservation. It was never made. This was not a problem as the dining room had plenty of space.

Our double bedded room had a view of the sunset and the mountains. A very nice view. The room and bathroom were generously sized. The room decor is somewhat dated. I enjoyed seeing the old hotel photos on the wall. The rest of the art should be dust-binned. The very large TV cabinet/chest of drawers should also be disposed of and something put in place where a view of the TV is possible from the beds. The TV reception was poor.

The lobby and public spaces show the age of the hotel gracefully and tastefully. They were comfortably appointed. I would love to visit in the winter when a fire is going in the fire place. The dining room could use some updating - but is fine as is. Dinner service was friendly - but for the prices charged the staff should have to read the menu specials from a piece of paper and should be more versed in the menu and the wine selection could come upmarket a bit. The menu portions are VERY large. Perhaps this could be adjusted along with the pricing?

The guest spaces could use some new furniture (as mentioned) and please remove the drop ceiling from the hallways. Many ceiling tiles are stained and in poor condition. The overall feel heading to the room is "creepy old hotel" vs. the "amazingly restored old hotel" that you get on the porch, dining room, and in the lobby etc.

Our stay was only one night. We did not get to explore the grounds or check out the spa/activities.

I will give this hotel another chance if in the region. I will always pick a neat old hotel with character vs a chain if there is a choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank AzureMountain

I appreciate your comments and suggestions for improving the guest experience at the Summit Inn. I apologize for your experience with our web-site and assure you that we are working hard to improve the quality of our new site. We will continue to work diligently to preserve the historic nature and structural integrity of the hotel while enhancing the guest experience. Guest comments and reviews are one of our greatest tools to guide our maintenance efforts. I hope that you will stop by again when you find yourself in the area and that we have the opportunity to share our continued efforts with you.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

What a wonderful experience we had at this beautiful, mission/craftsman style, historic inn! The views are so inspiring and all of the staff that we interacted with were extremely helpful and quick to respond to every need. The treehouse, built by Pete Nelson of The Treehouse Masters of Animal Planet, is amazing and makes me want my own treehouse even more then ever! We hope to visit again someday soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nightengale106
Reviewed 30 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A somewhat dated hotel, but makes up for it with excellent service and an excellent view. The folks at the front desk were very accommodating, such as getting mugs for coffee, opening the bar a bit early one afternoon (it was before the high season, so not staffed in the afternoon), etc.

View from the porch (and our room, 2nd floor "view room" - ask for one) down into the valley was beautiful. It was a bit to cool and breezy to sit outside when we visited during a cool week, but I imagine that in the warmer months, it would be lovely.

Restaurant was also a bit behind the times in terms of selection (items that were trendy 10, 20, 30 and more years ago), but the food was well-prepared, including very good crab cakes and salads.

A couple of comments: The sink was outside the tiny bathroom, so they should add towel racks next to the sink so that if someone is using the shower or commode, their partner can get to the hand towels.

Room Tip: "View" rooms on the 2nd floor facing the valley have a really nice view, though one can he...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank njpr0f

Thank you for your suggestions!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills

Been to Historic Summit Inn? Share your experiences!