“Days spent at the Summit Hotel”

Historic Summit Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed 25 August 2014

On August 22 and 23, 2014 we had a 61st class reunion for class 1953. I was born and raised in Uniontown area and had always been familiar with the Summit Hotel and its amenities. I love the quaintness of the interior and the modernization of the exterior grounds and buildings. All of the history and charm are so well preserved and yet it is in the upgrading process/modernizing every time I go there. The staff were super and so helpful and kind and very pleasant . The staff deserves 10 stars for all they did for us to make our stay a pleasant experience. The room was clean and charming. TV was average but usable. Food was very good. Also the Summit is close to historical places and good resturants of all sorts. The walking tour to the Pete Nelson tree house was "uphill "most of the way but very nice to see.They could do a better business if gift shop was open.Thank you all for making this reunion of our class so special......

Room Tip: If handicapped in any way for walking you need to book a room on the first floor. No elevators to t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Visiting Fallingwaters has been on our bucket list for a very long time, so when we finally made travel plans for this long-anticipated visit, we wanted to focus on our "mission" while staying somewhere special too. So glad we chose Historic Summit Inn.

Aptly named, we enjoyed panoramic views across the western-most ridge of the Appalachian Mountains and of the valley leading to Uniontown far below. One end of the grandiose covered veranda faces west and guests gather to witness the spectacle of sunset from this beautiful vantage point.

We (me, spouse, recent college-graduate son) ate all our meals on-site and were delighted with the food. Dinner in Mae's Dining Room: luscious chicken pot pie, surely made with cream; crab cakes amongst the best we've ever had. Loved having lunch on the Veranda; I'd hoped to share some dessert, but the choices made it way too hard and so we each got one and traded tastes (definitely recommend lemon cake, chocolate cake and blueberry cobbler!)

Also enjoyed a short hike up to the "Animal Planet" treehouse called Black Bear Bungalow, crossing to it on the suspension bridge and relaxing on its deck. The hotel's outdoor olympic-size pool made famous by Jonny Weissmuller was not open due to unfinished renovations, but the smaller indoor pool was pleasant with a wall of windows and still suitable for my laps.

Two less than ideal aspects of our stay: The hotel is situated on the main route up the mountain, so there is a constant sound of vehicles passing by. And somehow the beds did not feel super-comfy like most of the nice hotels we have stayed at. Despite these points, we definitely would return. We enjoyed the dining and gracious setting in which to relax and reflect on the amazing Fallingwater house we had journeyed to see.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cynthia P
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a wonderful old inn located in the beautiful Laurel Highlands region of Pennsylvania. The hotel has great charm and historic texture. The room was clean and comfortable; however, the AC unit was loud. There is a fine view from the veranda, particularly if you like sunsets. The lobby was a great place to relax, especially with coffee in the morning. The hotel is located close to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Nob. The food in the restaurant was excellent. There's a tree house located on the site built by Pete Nelson of Treehouse Masters fame.

1  Thank Forgisto
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'd like to love this place. The siting is geographically magnificent - we watched the sunset (time posted in the lobby) over the vast stretch of states to the west; and my historian husband was thrilled to be on THE National Road. The lobby is nicely decorated to take you back to its 100+ year-old origins. So far so good. BUT, the room decor is even less interesting than a Holiday Inn. Clean but dull to the point of depressing. The wine-by-the-glass list in the bar and restaurant is grocery-store awful. The food is below par (fish and chicken entrees both seriously overcooked). We appreciate what the owners are trying to do but they need to try a bit harder if they want a classier clientele.

Room Tip: wifi only in lobby. the rooms with views also face the highway (lots of truck gears coming up or do...
3  Thank RomeTheSecondTime
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I guess I should have read these reviews before I chose this place for our 1st anniversay...my first clue should have been when I called to ask about reservations, the lady hung up on me. Guess I was not suppose to ask questions! I finally e-mailed the inn and told them that my husband and I were thinking of spending our first anniversary there. I asked about the "just the two of us" pkg. I was given a price, I called back to book and was told I could not get the price given because there was no way anyone would have quoted me that price. I took a snapshot of the e-mailed and sent it back to the same e-mail address I did the first time. Within 10 mins I received another e-mail stating that it was a miss quote. I was given a quote on the " just the two of us" pkg based on one person....hello JUST THE TWO OF US!!! What part of that says one person? They finally did give us the price quoted which was the only good thing that came out of the weekend!

We finally get to our room and it was a king sized bed in a room fit for a twin. Very tiny. Ncable was out more than it was on, even tho we only watched it in the evening. Wi-fi was non existent! When we got up Saturday morning we went to breakfast, it was ok. We got back to our room, housekeeping had been there and left us a nasty gift, she went to the bathroom and didn't flush! That was just nasty! We left for the entire day, got back around 8 and decided to go to dinner. Made a reservation at mae's and when we finally were seated we waited 10 mins and when no one even came to get our drink order we decided to go the the bar to eat...another bad decision. We ordered a steak salad and a cheeseburger/fries...35 mins later the bartender comes over and said that the computer had crashed but she had put it back in and our cheeseburgers/fries would be out shortly...excuse me we ordered a cheeseburger/ fries and a steak salad I said. She said well would it be ok it you both got burgers? We finally said yes because we were starving and were tired of waiting. She brought the burgers out and mine was very rare I couldn't even eat it...as I am sitting there watching my husband eat the raw burger I look over and the bartender is eating....a steak salad. Omg are you kidding me.

I was looking forward to making our first anniversary a wonderful memory, just not a memory I don't ever want to think about again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank 818kellyb
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This place has a good bit of history, is located in a beautiful area and has a good view..All this makes it charming and worth a visit. Prices are ok compared with hotels in a major city, but seems a bit expensive considering what you get.

The place is a bit rundown, but I guess that this is a part of the charm, don’t expect top of the line interior or top-professional service though.

Another interesting observation about this place; it seems as though it’s not only the hotel that’s old, it’s also the guests  We were surprised to see most guests being 50-60+, which could be a coincidence of course ,but definitely adds to a specific vibe and atmosphere.

1  Thank DonRobinson
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed one night at the Historic Summit Inn and were charmed. We were on our way to Falling Water and Kentuck Knob and were enchanted by the rolling hills of the Laurel Highlands. The Inn looks like it might have looked years ago, with low lighting, craftsman furniture and a wonderful porch for sitting and rocking. We had dinner overlooking the valley and were delighted by the quality of the food. Breakfast was also quite good. I hope the family, who have worked very hard to maintain the Inn, can continue to keep up with the very good efforts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllis64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
#3 of 9 in Uniontown
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Donegal
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Uniontown
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort

Been to Historic Summit Inn? Share your experiences!