“Needs updating”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Detroit, Michigan
“Needs updating”
Reviewed 21 July 2005

The lobby and pool are nice. The rooms are in much need of updating.
Shag carpeting, pink bathroom fixtures. No amenities. Very very pricey for what you receive.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank Florence0948

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 July 2005

My husband and I stayed 2 weekdays in June 2005. We paid $409.00 for 2 nights, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, and tours of Kentuk Knob and Fallingwater (ground tour only- no inside tour). The room on the third floor was up many, many steps, but we didn't mind the exercise. The view from our room was great! (10 county view). The room was a bit dated, but clean and comfortable. I wasn't expecting too much from the food, but was pleasantly surprised. The tuna and duck were great, and the view from the outdoor dining deck was beautiful- the sun set just as we were finishing dinner. Their huge outdoor pool was sparkling clean but quite cold. We didn't go into the indoor pool, but checked out the game room only to be disappointed by the lack of pool balls and ping pong balls. We met some friendly people from around the area, although there was one loud, foul mothed, obnoxious father by the outdoor pool one day, swearing at his teenage son and anyone else around. Other that him everyone was nice and the staff very friendly. I would go there again- maybe in the fall when the trees are changing.

• Stayed June 2004
4 Thank smm1779
Reviewed 20 October 2004

I had a one-night stay at the historic Summit Inn on October 14, 2004. As mentioned by other TripAdvisor reviewers, the public areas of the hotel are very quaint and charming. The location in the Laurel Highlands outside of Pittsburgh offered a vista that was quite stunning. I can see why the resort would attract a lot of patrons in the summer, when the Olympic-sized pool, volleyball and tennis courts, and other outside attractions are in use.

However, having visited in the autumn, my impressions were focused on the queen-sized room, which was small and less than luxurious. The furniture reminded me of a chain motel, it took a considerable amount of time for the hot water to flow in the bathroom, and standard amentities (such as a hair dryer and iron) that you would expect from a hotel this price weren't provided. Several surrounding rooms in our wing had been vacated, but hadn't been cleaned by housekeeping (even by the overnight hours) and since the doors were open the disarray was visible.

As there are other more hospitable hotels and bed-and-breakfast inns in the area, I most likely would not stay here again.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Farmington hotels

Reviewed 16 October 2004

Just returned from the Summit Inn where we enjoyed 2 nights under the "Wright Package".
The view with the trees changing was outstanding!
The staff was very friendly and made you feel "at home". The food was very, very good and the service was excellent. The prime rib and filet were outstanding!!
We will be back.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 September 2003

I thought that the hotel was very nice. It has all of the charm of old places. I love them. It is a little pricey, but i just love all of the oldness. The grand staircase is something to see. This hotel has a very homey feeling to it. It is also rather large. The dining room has a massive fireplace which is very nice. If you would like to possibly get a little thrill, i suggest going down to the game room/vending machine area on the lower floor alone late at night, Unlike the other reviewer on this hotel, i did hear voices that could not have come from anybody down there, for i was alone. (I checked) kind of spooky. I didn't go back down there again. Other than that everything was fine and I would stay there again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 September 2003

Frankly I just love it there. I'm an antique buff and that area has alot to offer. It's one of the most spectacular views... we really enjoy the view from the outdoor spa the best! They even offer high tea on their veranda! It's not updated.. it's an old victorian mansion..
they actually say it's haunted.. but we didn't see anything. I've stayed there 5 different times. It's a different experience and one to be enjoyed!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 August 2003

I stayed at the Mount Summit Inn several years ago now and just had a great time. The accomodations are great and I love the vibe of the place. Great views form the top. Hiking, rafting, attractions near by.
The whole place kind of has a dated appeal(60's-70's), even though everything is in excellent condition. I mean this in a very good way.
The bar area is really neat with 100's of pennies laquered into it. I plan on going back next year to do some rafting, backpacking on the Laurel Highlands Trail, and to see Falling Water.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hazelton/Bruceton Mills
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills

Been to Historic Summit Inn? Share your experiences!