“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
Florida
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Roussell’s Garden Bed and Breakfast in April 2014. We were greeted by the inn keeper Bryan who was very welcoming. He invited us in, gave us the tour of the inn, both inside and out and even had maps and brochures ready for use to help navigate around the Savannah historic district. The inn is beautifully decorated and the inn keepers make you feel right at home. We stayed two nights in the Mandevilla Room on the second floor. The room offers a king size, four poster bed with a canopy. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets smelled so fresh! The bathroom was very spacious with a pedestal sink and claw foot bathtub. Breakfast was wonderful. We had a French toast casserole, scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes one morning and an Alaskan bake casserole, eggs, hash browns, fruit and biscuits the next morning. All was served buffet style. There is always coffee, hot water for tea and bottled water available anytime during the day and night along with some goodies to snack on. The B & B is located just a few blocks from Forsyth Park and approximately one mile from River Street. For us it was a very comfortable walk to the river. We parked the car on Friday and did not get back in until we left on Sunday! The inn maintains some very nice garden areas that are very relaxing to just sit and read a book or listen to the many birds in the area sing. The swing on the front porch was very relaxing! The only drawback to the inn is the traffic noise level. There is a red light and bus stop just outside the B & B’s front door. The Mandevilla room where we stayed had a street side view. The traffic noise did not seem to subside until well after midnight on Friday, although was much better on Saturday night. However, this is a wonderful B & B with wonderful host and in a great location just far enough outside the historic district, but still within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
West Bend, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Our recent trip to Savannah led us to stay at Roussell's Garden with it's beautiful rooms and peaceful gardens. Our hosts, Jan & Bryan were eager to ensure our every comfort and need. Jan's breakfasts were a superb start to each day with a varied menu each morning. The woman sure knows how to cook! If you are planning on staying near the historic district, choose this reasonably priced B & B. You will be not be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very charming atmosphere. Our room (Mandevilla) was spacious and very well decorated. The bath was especially large. The room was cleaned very well each morning. Our hosts Bryan and Jan were very gracious and accommodating. The breakfast served each morning was excellent and varied. For the price we would recommend this B&B if you are willing to stay at the Southern end of the historic district. This actually was not a problem as the shuttles are close and some pick you up there. There was some street noise but the overall experience made up for that.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We often stay in Savannah, and like to try out various B&Bs. Unfortunately, we just found this one awkward and off-putting, and will not be staying there again.

First of all, the innkeeper doesn't communicate well. I had emailed the day before arrival asking if my expected check-in time would be ok, but got no reply until the next day, when I was texted by him asking what time we would be arriving. And I had informed him prior to our stay that I was speaking at a conference the whole first day of our stay, and would have to miss breakfast due to having to be early to my speaking engagement. Still, I got a panicked voicemail midway through my day, which I had to take time out to reply to, asking if something was wrong and wanting to know "my plans for the day" and implying that I had decided to check out early.

The inn itself seemed alright- it's not in the best neighborhood, but in my college days I lived only a few blocks from there, so I don't mind that. However, it is on an extremely busy corner, immediately adjacent to a Chinese restaurant that clearly enjoys a lively late-night clientele. Our room had a view of black-tar roof and trash, and while the bed was very comfortable, there was no possibility of a good night's sleep with the constant noise of cars and trucks, people in the restaurant parking lot, and several bouts of people on the street screaming at each other.

The room was fine, if quite dusty, with nice furniture, although the wallpaper was stained and peeling off in spots. It was very small, and the "soaking tub" was maaaybe 4 feet long. As a 6-foot-tall person, I'm not sure exactly what portion of myself I could have wedged into it to soak.

The breakfast I was there for was just acceptable. The dining room is very nice, as were the other guests we chatted with over breakfast, but the actual breakfast was a pale imitation of the ones we're used to at other Savannah B&Bs. The bacon was some sort of flat fake bacon, the butter on the table was the kind of non-butter spread that comes in little disposable containers, and the available juice was a tub of plastic bottles of tropicana. The eggs and french toast were extremely soggy, and the fruit on the table looked dried-out and unappealing.

On top of all this, the innkeeper was extremely awkward. Upon arrival, he said something to the effect of, "We'll go back and get you a front door key, and then I'll show you your room." I went to follow him as he walked down the hallway, but he turned around and said, "You don't listen so good, do you?" Apparently he had meant for me to stay by the door while we went to get the key, but that wasn't clear at all, and he came off as very rude. We very nearly left at that point. That was actually the majority of our interaction with him (besides the anxious phone call I mentioned), as we never saw him at the breakfast (we had to be told where to find things by the other guests, who were in the dining room before we were), but when I checked out, he mistook me for another guest, and then after realizing his error and giving me the proper paperwork, actually hugged me goodbye.

All in all, we were very disappointed, as we usually enjoy our Savannah stays very much, and have not had a single complaint for any other place we've stayed. We were quite excited to find someplace new, but will not be staying there again and would not recommend it to anyone else, either.

Room Tip: Our room, the Camellia, overlooked the chinese restaurant's roof and a noisy intersection- I'...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marcy C
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family was on our way to Florida and stopped in Savannah to spend some time to tour the parks. We stayed at Roussell's Garden and this was one of the highlights of our entire trip. The house is charming and very clean. The gardens are something we'd love to see in full bloom. Bryan and Jan worked very hard to ensure that my family was aware of all that was in and around Savannah...and ensured that we were comfortable during our stay. The breakfast had something for everyone in my family and was very good. Also, their prices for a bed and breakfast located in the historic district of town are very reasonable. If you stay at Roussell's you will not be disappointed in the service you receive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful place. Bed was very comfortable. The room was clean and the bathroom was so lovely. Old time charm. Our hosts were pleasant and helped with getting us a tour of the historic district. Would recommend this for anyone looking for a quiet stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
South Euclid, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Roussell's Garden is a labor of love which begs to be experienced. From the first time of opening the iron gate to the last morsel of a delicious hot breakfast made with caring, it's obvious that the proprietors had a caring vision of this beautiful old house and garden. While winter's chill lay dormant the gardens, the spring potential of a bursting forth was just under the surface. Adequate and accessible street parking is available. The rate I enjoyed during my brief stay was a bargain! Street noise was evident but not intrusive; a nearby restaurant was offensively fragrant initially but the charm of this place soon displaced any doubts. Make this part of your Savannah experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo