“Don't miss it!”

Ranked #4 of 221 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bonaventure Cemetery was developed on the historically-significant site of Bonaventure Plantation. The peaceful setting rests on a scenic bluff of the Wilmington River, east of Savannah. The site was purchased for a private cemetery in 1846 and became a public cemetery in 1907. Citizens and others can still purchase interment rights in Bonaventure. This charming site has been a world famous tourist destination for more than 150 years due to the old tree-lined roadways, the many notable persons interred, the unique cemetery sculpture and architecture, and the folklore associated with the site and the people. The entrance to the cemetery is located at 330 Bonaventure Road and is the largest of the municipal cemeteries containing nearly 100 acres. The cemetery is open to the public daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. . The main office of the Department of Cemeteries is located in the Bonaventure Administrative Building at the entrance.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Beautiful walk through huge oaks to the river on the far side of the cemetery. Final resting place of many prominent Savannah Citizens. A short drive from the historic center of Savannah but we stopped on our way down to St. Simons. So glad we did! The guided tour sounded really interesting and informative, but we loved just wandering around. Well marked map to help find specific sites.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,368)
All reviews
in 74 reviews
"lots of history"
in 113 reviews

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I could return over and over to this magical place. I was lucky enough to have a tour with Shannon Scott and learned the history of the cemetery and about some of it's inhabitants. Don't miss this.......spectacular! Make sure to go down by the river.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

It is pretty it see but not as much in person as the pics look tours are o.k but not great rained when I was their so could not look as much as i wanted

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I considered this a photography destination and I was not disappointed. Trees, Spanish moss, and statues. You can drive around, so not necessary to do a lot of walking, if you don't want to. I missed the azalea blooms, but I can see it would be amazing to visit when they are in bloom. I wish I had taken bug spray along with me.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We went on a tour of the cemetery and discovered so much history and great stories about people of Savannah. Some facts about the memorials and what the different flowers and carvings represent made everything more interesting. Went in late April in the evening and my husband got several bug bites so be sure to use insect repellent, and take a sweater if you are easily chilled. Still a great time and would do it again, really glad we had a guide.

1  Thank Javygirl