“Don't miss!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 210 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bonaventure Cemetery was developed on the historically-significant site of Bonaventure Plantation. The peaceful setting rests on a scenic bluff of the Wilmington River, east of Savannah. The site was purchased for a private cemetery in 1846 and became a public cemetery in 1907. Citizens and others can still purchase interment rights in Bonaventure. This charming site has been a world famous tourist destination for more than 150 years due to the old tree-lined roadways, the many notable persons interred, the unique cemetery sculpture and architecture, and the folklore associated with the site and the people. The entrance to the cemetery is located at 330 Bonaventure Road and is the largest of the municipal cemeteries containing nearly 100 acres. The cemetery is open to the public daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. . The main office of the Department of Cemeteries is located in the Bonaventure Administrative Building at the entrance.
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Don't miss!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were told not to miss this and I am so glad we didn't! We had THE most wonderful tour guide, on, with Dash Tours. He is so knowledgeable and friendly. He is the best!!!! There were only three of us on the tour so we got to see everything and he knew everything!!!

Okeechobee, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Any Time of Year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

More history in one place than in most entire communities. Well worth the visit. A great walking tour, guided or unguided. Get the visitors guide and do your homework before you go.

Oviedo, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unbelievably Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My boyfriend and I have always found old cemeteries to be peaceful and beautiful, but nothing compares to Bonaventure. The woman in the front office was happy to tell us all about the place and show us where to see any well known residents. The roads are kept up very well, so even on a rainy and muddy day we could walk/drive all over the property. But the old stones, the hanging Spanish moss, and the overall beauty of the place is what really won me over. I've never seen a cemetery so well kept (sadly). Even the stones that had eroded over time had a wooden sign letting people know who was there. It was wonderful to stroll around on the property for an hour. I highly recommend stopping here for a nice relaxing morning stroll.

Philadelphia
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“See it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

In August tour in your car. Too hot to stroll grounds so missed a lot. You can stop your car to take pictures of the beautiful grounds however.

Roanoke, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Will visit again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I loved this cemetery. For whatever reason I am always drawn to walk through cemeteries when I travel. This one is by far the most unique cemetery I have been to. The grounds are nothing like anything I've seen before. I wish I could have spent an entire day here to really take my time and journey through each area. I will visit here again next time I am in Savannah!