“If you're into maritime and ships this place is a must see”

Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
Ranked #33 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum houses a collection of models and paintings of historic ships.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband the boater and I'm into history so as soon as we saw this place on the Savannah visitors map we knew we had to go. Even our friend in town with us visiting said she enjoyed it, not to the extent we did but I could tell that she meant it. Both staff attending the museum last Friday were friendly, knowledgeable, and quick to show us the water dispenser (hot June afternoon) especially after they realized we arrived by trolley. With few exceptions the replica models were so detailed and most had interesting explainations. It is all housed in a renovated mansion that even by itself the architecture especially on the first floor was almost worth the visit. The gardens were mostly well tended & colorful even now, again it is a hot June, we understood are wonderful in Spring & Fall.

There are newer reviews for Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Not much to say except this little gem is definitely worth a visit. It's well thought-out, informative, easy to get around, wonderful ship models, and a bargain at $8.50 for adults (if you have AAA, it's only $6.50).

The main attraction is an amazing diorama of the TITANIC sinking. The whole thing is about 10-12ft long, is all lit up and extremely realistic. One of the best models I've ever seen.

Even if you're just passing through Savannah, it's a fantastic place to stop by.

1  Thank Linerguy
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

First of all the walk through the garden to get to the museum entrance was beautiful. The price was cheap to get in (compared to the rest of Savannah), but our experience within the museum was rich in maritime history. Would love to go back on my future visits to Savannah.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend wanted to go to this museum and I have to admit, we both had a great time. The models are wonderful to look at and I found the museum was large enough to keep us busy but small enough we didn't get bored. I would definitely reccomend a stop in, the man at the counter was very friendly and you are sure to enjoy your visit!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was a delightful museum -- our family (kids aged 10 & 12) really enjoyed the many (large!) ship models, figureheads, & scrimshaw. My husband & I also enjoyed the beautiful grounds and the extensive maritime history displayed. We thought it was well worth the $20/family admission.