“Nice exhibit”

Ranked #37 of 219 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum houses a collection of models and paintings of historic ships.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Last stop on the trolley tour. Very nice. I especially likes the top floor where various items used on ships were displayed and explained.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took a group of teenagers on a summer school trip to Savannah. One of the items on the agenda was the Ships of the Sea Museum. It's very small so if you're expecting a large museum re-think your visit. In addition, if we did not have a guided tour of the museum it would've been not as informative. However, the museum did a small class with our kids which was a nice touch. However, if I would've been a regular patron visiting the museum with out the class I would've been disappointed. There are other things to do in Savannah that I think your money would be better spent doing.

1  Thank Nina K
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Self-guided tour, can take your time enjoying each of the 3 rooms filled with ships and descriptions. If you are not into ships and days of yore the gardens are quiet and relaxing.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was the first stop on our trolley tour, so hopped off just to check it out, not expecting much. But were pleasantly surprised how interesting the exhibits were and how well maintained they are. Just seeing the house inside and reading its history was so educational. The gift shop wasn't junky like most. And we totally enjoyed the walk through the magnificent garden paths. This was an unexpected pleasure and highly recommend this trolley stop to anyone.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband the boater and I'm into history so as soon as we saw this place on the Savannah visitors map we knew we had to go. Even our friend in town with us visiting said she enjoyed it, not to the extent we did but I could tell that she meant it. Both staff attending the museum last Friday were friendly, knowledgeable, and quick to show us the water dispenser (hot June afternoon) especially after they realized we arrived by trolley. With few exceptions the replica models were so detailed and most had interesting explainations. It is all housed in a renovated mansion that even by itself the architecture especially on the first floor was almost worth the visit. The gardens were mostly well tended & colorful even now, again it is a hot June, we understood are wonderful in Spring & Fall.