“Insightful tour”

Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home
Ranked #56 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Where writer Flannery O'Connor spent her childhood, during the Great Depression on Savannah's LaFayette Square. Off-hour, group, and private tours are available by request.
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent docent-led tour of Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home recently. The tour will provide some insight on how an "average citizen" of the city lived during early 20th century (this is obviously not a historic "mansion" tour.) You will also enjoy the tour even more if you a familiar with the writer and her works. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

While I love Flannery O'Connor's writing, I never really knew much about her life or childhood, so I decided to go check this house out. The man who gives tours, Toby, is very friendly, knowledgeable and you can tell he has a passion for history and this writer's very interesting life story. Do yourself a favor and visit, I promise you will learn a lot! Also, her greatest works are for sale there, with a cool "Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home" seal on the first page.
Thanks Toby!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was one of the main reason's I went to Savannah. I showed up at 1 p.m. on a Sunday to a sign on the the door that said, "Will Return at 1:45" - I sat in the square across the street until 2 p.m. and finally gave up, as I had other plans.

I understand that you are probably underfunded and understaffed but If you are only open for 4 hours a day, you shouldn't be closed unannounced for 1/4 of that time. At least I got pictures of the outside.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

A must see for former English majors or just people who enjoy southern literature. The house tour was definitely my favorite in Charleston, and the guide was very well informed on Flannery's life. Loved it!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

This was the highlight of my trip to Savannah.I felt like a kid in a candy store. I enjoyed the tour and the staff was very friendly and patient with the amount of time it took me to take tons of photos. This is a must see for any O'Connor fan!